Title: 1st patient treated in stem-cell trial
Category: Health
Posted By: wildrosegirl
Date: 2010-10-11 20:34:10
Canadian

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:23 am

Interesting. Don't old school embryonic stem cells go cancerous at the drop of a hat, mainly due to the material fed to them during incubation?

Wish they'd tell us what they're doing differently this time...

Are they using the Indian method? Or the Chinese?

I know doctors over their get to try this stuff out on their patients with a lot less red tape and have reported enough success to issue patents.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:13 am

They've done experimental treatments with stem cells to repair heart damage for a few years now. From what I saw on a TV program that discussed it, it was quite painful, as they had to stop the heart while it was flushed with stem cells. Essentially the guy was put into cardiac arrest a few times so the stem cllls could lodge in the damaged areas. He was concious during the procedure. The procedure seemed to have been sucessful as he went from about 30 % capacity back up to 90%

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:03 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
They've done experimental treatments with stem cells to repair heart damage for a few years now. From what I saw on a TV program that discussed it, it was quite painful, as they had to stop the heart while it was flushed with stem cells. Essentially the guy was put into cardiac arrest a few times so the stem cllls could lodge in the damaged areas. He was concious during the procedure. The procedure seemed to have been sucessful as he went from about 30 % capacity back up to 90%

I can imagine a bunch of men wanting to get that treatement to get back up to 90%...

...and I'm not talking about the heart. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:58 am

raydan raydan:
ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:

I can imagine a bunch of men wanting to get that treatement to get back up to 90%...

...and I'm not talking about the heart. :wink:

Open Penis surgery?

8O 8O 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:58 am

There's a doctor in Boston(I think that's where he is) that's shown that you don't need embryonic stem cells to do the job. Apparently, our bone marrow contains the stem cells we might need.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Ya lots of other sources for stem cells then just embryo's.