Category: Political
Posted By: PENATRATOR
Date: 2009-11-09 09:54:28
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:00 am

While I really doubt this would ever happen, I think people should take some sort of pause from their day to remember those who never came home as well as all those who fought for the lifestyle and rights we have today. The numbers from Quebec make you shake your head though really should we be surpried?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:05 am

In defense of Quebec, 2/3 of them support the idea. Those are still better numbers than you'd see for a similar proposal in California, Massachussetts, Rhode Island, Illinois, or New Jersey.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:06 am

How can you make it mandatory? All you can do is have people (kids in schools, people at work) be silent together, but you cannot fine someone who is not silent.
I wish people had the common courtesy to stop on the shoulder of the road for 2 minutes, turn their phones off, and just be quiet, but to fined if you don't... I think the public that loathes you if you don't is punishment enough.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:09 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
In defense of Quebec, 2/3 of them support the idea. Those are still better numbers than you'd see for a similar proposal in California, Massachussetts, Rhode Island, Illinois, or New Jersey.

Wholly shit Bart!! A cow just flew past my window! :D

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:15 am

Brenda Brenda:
How can you make it mandatory? All you can do is have people (kids in schools, people at work) be silent together, but you cannot fine someone who is not silent.
I wish people had the common courtesy to stop on the shoulder of the road for 2 minutes, turn their phones off, and just be quiet, but to fined if you don't... I think the public that loathes you if you don't is punishment enough.

True but might be a good idea, come time when the war is over and soldiers are stop dieing. The public will just forget the efforts and bravery of those who did tours in Afghanistan and the Canadian soldiers of previous wars. Atleast with this you know people will be doing it anyway.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:21 am

Rather than making it mandatory, how about we educate people? I would rather have most people honour our heroes willingly, out of genuine respect, than have all of people do it without understanding or caring why they're doing it.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:31 am

I don't think by 'mandatory' they mean you'll get a ticket for not doing it. I believe they're talking about employers trying to get people to work at that time etc. A law might be overboard for all people but I think employers shouldn't be allowed to corrupt the day.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:39 am

WDHIII WDHIII:
Mandatory?

No.

Doesnt sound like the freedom that these men were fighting for.......

True enough, but those 2 minutes should be encouraged as much as possible.

Public transit stopping isn't a bad idea.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:24 pm

What does 'mandatory' mean?

I remember having school assemblies where we were asked to please pause for a moment of silence. Just who is the grumpy B@sturd that thinks this is wrong?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Rather than making it mandatory, how about we educate people? I would rather have most people honour our heroes willingly, out of genuine respect, than have all of people do it without understanding or caring why they're doing it.

+1. Respect is earned, not legislated. Education is the key to everyone respecting the 2 minutes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:34 pm

WDHIII WDHIII:
Mandatory?

No.

Doesnt sound like the freedom that these men were fighting for.......

My thoughts exactly. Hopefully the law doesn't include loud shushes directed at the kids!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:36 pm

The school assemblies that I participated in 20 years ago were based on educating us, to consider the 'manditory' moment of silence as wrong will only serve to de-educate our children.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:28 pm

The fact that a large percentage of our society lacks the respect to observe the two minutes of silence speaks volumes about our society and what it has become.
I do not think that the respect has not been earned, but instead that people do not have the ability to respect.

Nothing bugs the rat shit out of me more than standing at the cenotaph with a dump truck idling 20 ft away at the corner because the dumbass couldn't have the common courtesy to shut his vehicle off.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:47 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

8O 8O 8O that right there needs to be immortalized for all time :wink: :lol: