Category: Environmental
Posted By: 1Peg
Date: 2011-09-09 14:04:52
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Was talking to a pharmacist at the time it happened in Chilliwack. They felt it and were spooked and frankly so was I and we didn't even shake in Victoria. Anticipation is crazy.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Nothing serious, noone is injured and that's good.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:26 pm

Pffft....6.4....nothing more than a migrating Grey Whale having a good fart.... :wink:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:28 pm

8O Must see this :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:40 am

Scape Scape:
Was talking to a pharmacist at the time it happened in Chilliwack. They felt it and were spooked and frankly so was I and we didn't even shake in Victoria. Anticipation is crazy.

Called my mom, she was out shopping and never noticed a thing.

Got lucky, I guess.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:02 am

Hyack Hyack:
Pffft....6.4....nothing more than a migrating Grey Whale having a good fart.... :wink:

Were it closer to vancouver, you'd likely be suffering a serious case of wet farts.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:06 am

Get ready folks, that was just part of the warm-up act.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:26 pm

And for those who are interested in whose next on the hit parade:

http://www.livescience.com/6139-earth-e ... spots.html

$1:
The Americas

The Americas face the Pacific Ring of Fire to their west. The section of the San Andreas fault known as the 1857 earthquake rupture zone should break every 200 to 250 years for a magnitude 8 earthquake, Scholz said. "Sometime this century, it's likely to break again," he noted.

To the east, the boundary between the Caribbean and North American plates gave rise to the recent quake that hit Haiti. A number of ancient faults also go from Canada all the way at least to South Carolina, including near New York. The largest earthquake in the northeast was probably the Cape Ann earthquake in 1755 off the coast of Massachusetts, which might have been a magnitude 5.9 quake.

Three of the largest earthquakes recorded in North America actually originated from the New Madrid fault system in the center of the United States. Over the course of two months from 1811 to 1812, these magnitude-7 events shook with enough power to apparently force the Mississippi River to temporarily flow backward. Such intra-plate earthquakes make up some 1 percent of the quakes people face, Scholz said, and are much less understood than the others.
"These are always surprising when they go off, and can cause a lot of damage if in populated areas," he said.

So I guess all the doom and gloomers in the middle of the country who think we're next should do a little research about what's going on under their feet. 8O

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Was trying to remember wth I was doing at 12:41pm on Friday... was at work, I know that... guess I didn't notice it. Odd, considering where I work. 8O

I have felt past ones that have been local and a similar magnitude, I can recall 3 of them for sure. Eerie feeling that's for sure when you feel that shaking. That temp feeling at having absolutely no control...

Doesn't faze me too much. If the big one is coming, it's coming. If that's how I'm meant to go, I'll go. Can't do anything about it so why sweat it. Odds are better at getting smucked by some distracted driver the next time I cross a street.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:41 pm

Damage felt as far as Northern BC

Attachments:
damage.jpg
damage.jpg [ 31.88 KiB | Viewed 200 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
And for those who are interested in whose next on the hit parade:

http://www.livescience.com/6139-earth-e ... spots.html

$1:
The Americas

The Americas face the Pacific Ring of Fire to their west. The section of the San Andreas fault known as the 1857 earthquake rupture zone should break every 200 to 250 years for a magnitude 8 earthquake, Scholz said. "Sometime this century, it's likely to break again," he noted.

To the east, the boundary between the Caribbean and North American plates gave rise to the recent quake that hit Haiti. A number of ancient faults also go from Canada all the way at least to South Carolina, including near New York. The largest earthquake in the northeast was probably the Cape Ann earthquake in 1755 off the coast of Massachusetts, which might have been a magnitude 5.9 quake.

Three of the largest earthquakes recorded in North America actually originated from the New Madrid fault system in the center of the United States. Over the course of two months from 1811 to 1812, these magnitude-7 events shook with enough power to apparently force the Mississippi River to temporarily flow backward. Such intra-plate earthquakes make up some 1 percent of the quakes people face, Scholz said, and are much less understood than the others.
"These are always surprising when they go off, and can cause a lot of damage if in populated areas," he said.

So I guess all the doom and gloomers in the middle of the country who think we're next should do a little research about what's going on under their feet. 8O

I was already quite aware of the New Madrid fault system actually. But here's the thing about the Pacific Rim quakes. Mega quakes like the one that hit Japan happen on average about once every 300 years. Not only have there been 3 mega quakes since 2004, there have been at least 7 since the 1960's. Plus, those of us in the middle of the country won't have to contend with an ensuing tsunami should we get a good shaker.
On top of that, Vancouver Island is being squeezed just like Japan was before it got nailed. The scary part is when you realize that Japan is probably the most earthquake proofed country on the planet and yet...

Cities like Vancouver and Mexico City are also built on ancient lake beds, which are more prone to the violent actions of a subduction earthquake. Also, buildings of 20-30 stories in height are highly susceptible to subduction quakes as both resonate at the same frequency.

I'm not being smug here, I'm just greatly concerned for all the people living on the west coast of North America.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:44 pm

Richmond, to the south of Vancouver is built on an alluvial plain. Never heard of an ancient lake bed around here, certainly not since glaciation. Vancouver itself, most of it, is more of a rock outcrop, I would say. To the north be mountains.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:51 pm

Liquefcation will take care of Richmond and Delta and likely chunks of Langley

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:56 am

Nearly everything north of the Fraser river is solid rock, no ancient lake beds anywhere nearby. The south side of the Fraser is mainly silt laid down over the centuries, with Richmond, located on Lulu island being nothing but sand and silt which will totally liquify in a major quake. The only ancient lake around is Sumas lake in the Fraser valley which was drained and reclaimed in the 1920's.