bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:59 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Depends on the risk factors involved and it depends on the efficacy and potential side effects of the vaccine.
For most vaccines for babies the risk factors for not taking it include- death, serious maiming illness, and being negatively affected for life.

Risks of taking it, none of the above.
$1:
The H1N1 vaccine that was pushed with a near-religious fervor turned out to have one very detrimental side effect:

People who took the vaccine doubled their chances of contracting the disease.

Meaning you were better off without the vaccine.

False equivalency.
$1:
The combined MMR vaccine is indisputably linked to higher mortality rates among infants and toddlers
Bullshit. Cite your source.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:00 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I haven't had a day off because of the flu or cold in years.

I haven't had the flu since the last time I had a flu shot. That's nine years now.

Logical Fallacy and confirmation bias.

You didn't get it because of the shot.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Tricks Tricks:
$1:
It's a small sect but one that's connected to the large Dutch community in town. Its leaders have been known to describe vaccinations as a sort of interference with God's will.

Solely to blame? Probably not. Contributing? That I can believe.

Good for them. Immunize everyone else and let these people have their freedom. Maybe they'll improve the earth by running off to meet God. Far be it from me to stand in their way.

Keep in mind that I'm not against vaccines, I just don't attribute pseudo-magical properties to them like too many other folks do.

To me medicines are medicines. Each comes with a risk and many of them are faulty due to human error, greed, or eagerness to come up with a 'cure' that is sometimes worse than the disease.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:04 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Good for them. Immunize everyone else and let these people have their freedom. Maybe they'll improve the earth by running off to meet God. Far be it from me to stand in their way.

Keep them out of schools too right? My kid shouldn't be at risk because little Timmy's parents are too fucking stupid to vaccinate. That's encroach on his freedom to live.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:08 pm

Tricks Tricks:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I haven't had the flu since the last time I had a flu shot. That's nine years now.

Logical Fallacy and confirmation bias.

You didn't get it because of the shot.

It's a personal decision and if I'm wrong I'll get sick. So far I haven't. I'll pop you a memo if/when that happens.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:11 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Keep them out of schools too right? My kid shouldn't be at risk because little Timmy's parents are too fucking stupid to vaccinate. That's encroach on his freedom to live.

1. Such people probably homeschool and don't want their kids 'contaminated' by yours.

2. Speaking of logical fallacies; if vaccines are supposed to be so effective then why is your vaccinated child so immediately susceptible to the disease he or she was vaccinated against? :idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Also, sometimes people with the flu shot get sick. Vaccines aren't perfect. Apparently it was roughly 63% effective last year. Measles shot is 93% effective.

Even if they do get sick, a vaccinated person's immune system will also be able to fight the illness better than a non-vaccinated person. The more people are vaccinated, the less amount of chances a vaccinated person has to get sick.

Fucking vaccinate.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:47 pm

^ Beat me to it. Thanks chief.

There are also people who can't be vaccinated, or have their immune systems compromised by a disorder. By allowing kids with dumbass parents near those kids, they're at significant risk.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Have not contracted the flu in 18 years until this last Christmas. Had the vaccination in November, guess what, I caught a strain which was not covered. Go figure.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:06 pm

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
Even if they do get sick, a vaccinated person's immune system will also be able to fight the illness better than a non-vaccinated person. .

That's not true.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news ... orse-study

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... ase-worse/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... lness.aspx

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:13 pm

We all had the measles when we were young. It came back years later after hibernating to kill my kid sister. Several years long, slow lingering death, brain damage the whole shmear.
Not ONE of my kids or my friends or relatives kids got the measles, they'd brought out the MMR shots by then. None of their grandkids have either. None of them died from the shot.
Couple months ago I read the same immune deficiency that killed my kid sister is flaring up in California. Hadn't ever heard of it mentioned for 35 years.
Because some people won't vaccinate their kids.
I'm sure guilt must torment those parents every day for the rest of their lives.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Public_Domain Public_Domain:

Also, sometimes people with the flu shot get sick. Vaccines aren't perfect. Apparently it was roughly 63% effective last year. Measles shot is 93% effective.

Even if they do get sick, a vaccinated person's immune system will also be able to fight the illness better than a non-vaccinated person. The more people are vaccinated, the less amount of chances a vaccinated person has to get sick.

Fucking vaccinate.

Interesting that Brad Wall, not exactly a Knight of Public Medicare had Sask foot the bill for flu shots this last fall. Perhaps he heard rumours of the effectiveness of the herd immunity concept.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm keeping in mind the two moron hippie parents here in Calgary last year who killed their own little boy by refusing to take him to a real doctor and filled him up instead with that homeopathic crap. On top of it, on the overall scale of being disgusting, the dad was still pushing his gimmick herbal remedy sales from inside jail after he was sentenced. There's no getting through to people that reckless and stupid, and the only thing that can be done (aside from taking their kids away from them) is to bring the hammer of the law down on them hard when these deaths happen. That and banning their kids from the school system if the parents refuse to have them immunized.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:25 pm

herbie herbie:
We all had the measles when we were young. It came back years later after hibernating to kill my kid sister. Several years long, slow lingering death, brain damage the whole shmear.
Not ONE of my kids or my friends or relatives kids got the measles, they'd brought out the MMR shots by then. None of their grandkids have either. None of them died from the shot.
Couple months ago I read the same immune deficiency that killed my kid sister is flaring up in California. Hadn't ever heard of it mentioned for 35 years.
Because some people won't vaccinate their kids.
I'm sure guilt must torment those parents every day for the rest of their lives.

Unlikely. They're so deep in the ideology that's grown up around this issue that the genuinely believe, despite all the proven scientific and medical evidence, that everyone else but themselves are wrong. It's practically cult-like behaviour.