canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:45 pm

Title: 'A system of chaos for addicts and communities' Province releases report on supervised consumption sites | CTV News
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: uwish
Date: 2020-03-05 12:42:18
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:45 pm

Confusing, my limited understanding was, in general safe injection sites overall were beneficial. I think I read a report from BC that said overall there was a net benefit, now there isn't one here in Alberta? Is this cheery picking or another committee that was 'told' the outcome BEFORE the work was done?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:52 pm

No, it's been a disaster. In Calgary it turned a vibrant area into a disaster zone. Maybe the concept is sound when practiced in a different manner, like Portugal or Switzerland. But in Canada it looks like it's been a complete debacle.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:11 pm

uwish wrote:
Is this cheery picking or another committee that was 'told' the outcome BEFORE the work was done?

Yes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5252093

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 pm

Kenney pre-determining the outcome doesn't change the facts on the ground though. The area around the consumption site in Calgary is basically being destroyed as a livable place due to the activities of the junkies that flock to the clinic. And it also appears the staff at the clinic are also helping the junkies break the law, aren't following the clinic procedures, and are interfering with the police when the cops try to impose order. It's turned into some kind of free-for-all zone and that can't be allowed to happen.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:02 pm

Thanos wrote:
No, it's been a disaster. In Calgary it turned a vibrant area into a disaster zone. Maybe the concept is sound when practiced in a different manner, like Portugal or Switzerland. But in Canada it looks like it's been a complete debacle.

I live a block from this shit-show, and it's a fucking nightmare. Needles strewn about... Meth zombies milling about... My building has been broken into 5 times. The cops don't do shit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:14 pm

My sympathies. We're living not too far now from Forest Lawn and Dover in Calgary and some of the street folks in this general area are interesting to say the least. But I imagine their activities out here are no where near as entertaining/awful as what goes down all day long near the Chumir clinic. :|

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:45 pm

yeah, VicPark is a shit show