canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:48 am

Title: Alberta budget to focus on health care and jobs, while public sector braces for cuts
Category: Provincial Politics
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2021-02-25 06:38:11
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:48 am

So, despite low polling numbers, Kenney will go on doing the exact thing that earned him those numbers.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:34 am

typical politician, I hope he cuts so deep my non existent kids can feel it..

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:35 am

Yea! I want Alberta to look like Somalia too!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:39 am

exaggerate much?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:51 am

But your non existent kids don't exaggerate at all?

Infrastructure is what governments are hired to do. When you don't have the basics of how to run society, you end up with Somalia.

You can see the effect of Kenneys cuts on Alberta Health Services by the outage that happened yesterday when people tried to sign up for vaccine shots. AHS has been so starved of funds, they can't afford to keep services running in a pandemic.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5927602

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:16 am

pretty poor example, ever tried booking a camp site when the site goes live? crashes almost every year...been that way since online booking was enabled.

That isn't just provincial sites, federal sites are almost as bad...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:35 am

Federal sites are just as under funded.

And it's ironic that you mention the campsite booking system. I physically look after those. They are two HP ML360 servers, 8 core. They have the capacity to service about 1000 requests per minute. When the season starts, they have to handle 5000-6000 requests per minute. And because they are physical, the licensing is outrageous, and we can't virtualize them to improve performance. Parks and Rec doesn't have the budget for better machines or more Oracle licenses.

So you picked a perfect example of underfunded government infrastructure, and how it affects the average Albertan. Get used to it, as Kenney cuts even deeper.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:34 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

And it's ironic that you mention the campsite booking system. I physically look after those. They are two HP ML360 servers, 8 core. They have the capacity to service about 1000 requests per minute. When the season starts, they have to handle 5000-6000 requests per minute. And because they are physical, the licensing is outrageous, and we can't virtualize them to improve performance. Parks and Rec doesn't have the budget for better machines or more Oracle licenses.

So you picked a perfect example of underfunded government infrastructure, and how it affects the average Albertan. Get used to it, as Kenney cuts even deeper.

R=UP

I'd rep if I could...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:26 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Why is the licensing so high?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:38 pm

uwish uwish:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Why is the licensing so high?

Oracle requires you have a license for each core that their software might run on. Not processor, but core. So if you have a processor with 32 cores, you need 32 licences at roughly $15,000 per year. Each. So one of those ML360s has 2 processors, 4 cores each, set up as a cluster, for 16 cores. Total annual cost - $240k. If your operating system doesn't restrict which core you can limit certain software to run on, then you have to license them all.

Then you have to license the copy of the operating systems, and the HP diagnostic software. And the antivirus. And the software for the networking equipment.

It adds up pretty fast. This is why Oracle is such a money making company. And Microsoft. Oracle gives you a break if you use their operating system, and a further break if you use their hardware. But their hardware costs as much as my house.

Somewhere, deep in that balance sheet, you have to hire people like me to run it all.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:58 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Yea! I want Alberta to look like Somalia too!

0:
somalia1.jpg
somalia1.jpg [ 243.46 KiB | Viewed 524 times ]

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:59 am

Meanwhile, in Alberta,

0:
Meanwhile in Alberta.jpg
Meanwhile in Alberta.jpg [ 67.36 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]