canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:54 am

housewife housewife:
It should be ok the plug has built in safety features. It will blow the fuse and toast the plug.

It happened in the UK (BBC link) and they don't put breakers in a panel before it is distributed through a house. The power in the walls is straight from the station. Breakers are in the plug. So shorting the plug at the wall bypasses the breaker.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:54 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
housewife housewife:
It should be ok the plug has built in safety features. It will blow the fuse and toast the plug.

It happened in the UK (BBC link) and they don't put breakers in a panel before it is distributed through a house. The power in the walls is straight from the station. Breakers are in the plug. So shorting the plug at the wall bypasses the breaker.

Dam was totally unaware that there breakers are in the plug.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:11 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I did not know that either. You'd think that even in new builds over there, that breakers would be put in a panel first and foremost.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:34 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I did not know that either. You'd think that even in new builds over there, that breakers would be put in a panel first and foremost.

-J.

They rely on the external transformer to limit the maximum current that can be achieved in older homes, but newer homes do use breaker boxes. But fuses are still in the plugs.

http://powerup.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/po ... -breakers/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:40 am

So how the fuck do you replace a wall plug or wire in a light safely if there's no distribution panel (breaker box)? Shut power off to the whole house?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:44 am

herbie herbie:
So how the fuck do you replace a wall plug or wire in a light safely if there's no distribution panel (breaker box)? Shut power off to the whole house?

Yup.

Unless you are feeling lucky.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:56 am

IMO 2 things one should never fiddle with(unless very minor) but should call an expert to do: anything electrical or plumbing.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:16 pm

When I owned my own home, I had to do pretty much everything. Replace sinks, replace outlets, replace water lines. Plumbers wanted $700 to install a $10 part. 8O You learn how quick.

I drew the line at working with natural gas though.