canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:56 pm

There's one thing that's been missed in all the condemnation here. The British Army weren't exactly innocent of atrocities in North Ireland either.

But it also goes to show just how fucking toxic religion is.

I do have to ask though, has England ever given North Ireland the option of self-determination? If not it kind'a makes the whole Brexit thing a wee bit hypocritical.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:21 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Read the article again. It was the City of San Francisco, California, USA that gave the honour to McGuinness, not anyone in Northern Ireland.

I know that. I am saying that if the people that fought and died in the troubles want to give him an award, that is their business to work out. Their business alone. I am stating that no one in the U.S. has any business getting involved in this horseshit. All this does is stir up shit and bring us heat. No one in the U.S. had any business getting involved (as in sending money, harboring IRA fugitives on the run, etc.) when the troubles were going on, and no one in the U.S. has any business handing out any awards to anyone on any side now.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:49 pm

rickc rickc:
Thanos Thanos:
Read the article again. It was the City of San Francisco, California, USA that gave the honour to McGuinness, not anyone in Northern Ireland.

I know that. I am saying that if the people that fought and died in the troubles want to give him an award, that is their business to work out. Their business alone. I am stating that no one in the U.S. has any business getting involved in this horseshit. All this does is stir up shit and bring us heat. No one in the U.S. had any business getting involved (as in sending money, harboring IRA fugitives on the run, etc.) when the troubles were going on, and no one in the U.S. has any business handing out any awards to anyone on any side now.

We had an IRA fugitive move in a couple doors down from us when I was in my early teens. He was that odd combination of 'seemed like a pretty decent guy' and 'don't fuck with him if you know what's good for you'. His son was my age and he was one of the toughest little sons-a-bitches I ever met. I gotta admit, I was a little scared of both of them. :lol: Not that I had any reason to be but the father did have that (in)famous Irish temper. I remember one day when the cops came to arrest him. That was quite a scene. Took a half-dozen officers to finally take him down and it still took them a while to do it. And that was BEFORE they lowered their hiring standards in the name of "equality".

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:04 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
There's one thing that's been missed in all the condemnation here. The British Army weren't exactly innocent of atrocities in North Ireland either.

But it also goes to show just how fucking toxic religion is.

I do have to ask though, has England ever given North Ireland the option of self-determination? If not it kind'a makes the whole Brexit thing a wee bit hypocritical.

This reminds of something that happened to me in 1985. I was drinking in a pub in Amsterdam. The IRA had just committed some terrorist act (I do not recall what) killing some Brits. There was a British guy sitting a few stools away from me working himself into a frenzy. He was yelling and screaming about what a bunch of murdering cowards the IRA was (I agreed with him). All of a sudden he turned to me and yelled: "you goddamned Americans are sending them money, helping them out!!!" I am like "hey buddy I have never sent a damn dime to any terrorist, and I do not appreciate people bringing this old world bullshit to my country." I was on the guys side, but he wanted to kick my ass. All of a sudden the bartender yells out "this is Amsterdam, not Ireland. Shut the fuck up or leave!!!" I could tell by the way that he said it that it was not his first time saying it. Other people in the bar joined in telling us to shut the fuck up. Its a shitty feeling when someone wants to kick your ass, and you agree with them. The guy mellowed out. He finished his drink, and left.

Not even an hour later a British soldier who was stationed in Germany (as was I) came in and sat at the bar. Of course Northern Ireland came up (albeit a lot quieter than before). I asked him pointblank why does Britain stay in Northern Ireland when it causes them so much trouble. He replied that they would love to get the hell out of there, but there are people that want them to be there. There are people who consider themselves British, and do not want to be anything else. He stated that it would be like a few people in Texas committing terrorist acts and saying that they are going back to Mexico. How would I feel about that? That put it in perspective for me. We spent a few hours buying each other rounds. I got quite the education on Northern Ireland that night.

Imagine if your Province starting having terrorist activity, and the terrorists stated that they wanted all the non indigenous people out of the Province. How would you feel about it? I can see both sides. The Irish were treated very badly,as were the native Americans. Both may want their land back. People like the British, Canadians, and Americans who have been living in these lands for hundreds of years do not feel like leaving. I know I do not. It is a lot more complicated than the British simply packing up and leaving Northern Ireland.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:23 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
We had an IRA fugitive move in a couple doors down from us when I was in my early teens. He was that odd combination of 'seemed like a pretty decent guy' and 'don't fuck with him if you know what's good for you'. His son was my age and he was one of the toughest little sons-a-bitches I ever met. I gotta admit, I was a little scared of both of them. :lol: Not that I had any reason to be but the father did have that (in)famous Irish temper. I remember one day when the cops came to arrest him. That was quite a scene. Took a half-dozen officers to finally take him down and it still took them a while to do it. And that was BEFORE they lowered their hiring standards in the name of "equality".

I knew quite a lot of Irishmen when I lived in Boston. They had no problem solving things with their fist. The British disarmed them when they took over, so they had to work with what they had. Tough bastards they are indeed! Hard heads and fists of stone is what I seen on display at the golden gloves at the Paul Tsongas arena in Lowell Mass. Irish Mickey Ward was one of the greatest fighters of all time. If you never seen his legendary fights with Arturo Gatti, check them out. They do not know the word:defense. They put each other in a trauma center. Conor McGregor is half my size, and I would not dream of messing with him.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Within a decade there will be a nationalist majority in NI. If people vote to stay in the UK, SF will be in charge provincially from then on for quite a while.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:25 pm

By that stage in the game the North would be better off joining the Republic given how much Britain is rapidly declining into meaningless political correctness and the self-sabotaging economic catastrophe Brexit is already causing.