CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3355
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:40 am
 


Yuppers! I read or saw it was a whole 2 degrees warmer.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3895
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:55 am
 


It's a natural cycle. However some politicians and scientists are using the threat of global warming to push political change.

NASA has recently been caught fudging the statistics and have pulled some of their figures off the web. NASA had been stating the hottest temperatures in the 20th century were in the 1990's. When in fact it has been in the 1930's.

A Canadian was one of the first to disprove NASA's calculations....

http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/warmi ... scientists

How does trading, buying, selling carbon credits reduce CO2 emissions. It doesn't but it does help to bring about political change.

The BRIC nations (Brazil, Russia, India and China) are all exempt from Kyoto YET China is now suprassing the US in CO2 emissions. Again, it's about political change, re-distruption of wealth, etc.

There have been ice ages and periods of times in the earth's history when the north and south pole had near tropical climates....

Sorry but I'm not buying into the myth of global warming or climate change. It's merely a cycle the earth goes through. Solar activity probably has more to do with it...


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3895
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:05 am
 


JetBoy wrote:
Most experts think we're contributing to it. Some don't. Considering how much CO2 we've pumped into the atmosphere, I'm going with the majority. How much we're contributing to it, however, I admit I'm not sure, but it's not just a drop in the bucket.

Just look how fast the climate is currently changing in many parts of the world. It's happening in our lifetimes before our eyes. If you were to go back in time you would see climate naturally changing much slower (unless there was a catastrophic event like an asteroid, unusual sun activity, or super volcano.)


Oh...do tell... What was the temperature of this day in 1860, 1507, 1402, 1199, 998, 500, 10BC, 2100BC, 30,000BC...?

The fact remains accurate temperature recording have only happened in the last 100 years. Other methods like ice core samples from the poles is only estimating. And any statistics NASA provides must now be under heavy scrutiny....


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3355
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:15 am
 


I have no proof either way regarding "climate change"!

What I do find interesting is we can see what the human footprint is doing in so many other ways that are to the detriment of earth's healthy environment I think I'd be remiss in thinking that we haven't had an affect on "climate change" as well. :idea:





PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:19 pm
 


The Dogtrib and Thule migrated deep into the Arctic only because of climate change,they followed the whales as the ice melted and that was only a couple thousand years ago,its been well documented.Most Arctic Artifacts arent very old,but they did migrate with the melting ice,part of the natural cycle.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
Profile
Posts: 5737
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:24 pm
 


ziggy Posted:
Quote:
The Dogtrib and Thule migrated deep into the Arctic only because of climate change,they followed the whales as the ice melted and that was only a couple thousand years ago,its been well documented.Most Arctic Artifacts arent very old,but they did migrate with the melting ice,part of the natural cycle.


Yes and the evidence that the Inuit spread rapidly is the lack of localisms in their language-----no noticable dialects. It was very much a rapid and recent migration across the roof of the world.

That is reasonable evidence although perhaps not as valid as a thermometer in an asphalt parking lot. (sarcasm).


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 64544
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:27 pm
 


JetBoy wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:
Sea level would be lower if those beautiful continental ice sheets were restored and the people on the coasts would enjoy more usable land. Perhaps I should tell them this good news!

It's better things stay the way they are because if things change we'd have a lot of restructuring to do.


Things never stay the way they are. :idea:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
Profile
Posts: 20460
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:50 pm
 


BartSimpson wrote:
JetBoy wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:
Sea level would be lower if those beautiful continental ice sheets were restored and the people on the coasts would enjoy more usable land. Perhaps I should tell them this good news!

It's better things stay the way they are because if things change we'd have a lot of restructuring to do.


Things never stay the way they are. :idea:


You sir are neither a Leafs fan nor a Cubs fan or you would never say that. :wink:





PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:22 pm
 


Wada wrote:
I have no proof either way regarding "climate change"!

What I do find interesting is we can see what the human footprint is doing in so many other ways that are to the detriment of earth's healthy environment I think I'd be remiss in thinking that we haven't had an affect on "climate change" as well. :idea:
We have,huge footprint. simply taking the moss off the Arctic tundra by dragging or skidding something on it will leave a footprint thats there for thousands of years.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 64544
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:30 pm
 


DerbyX wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:
JetBoy wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:
Sea level would be lower if those beautiful continental ice sheets were restored and the people on the coasts would enjoy more usable land. Perhaps I should tell them this good news!

It's better things stay the way they are because if things change we'd have a lot of restructuring to do.


Things never stay the way they are. :idea:


You sir are neither a Leafs fan nor a Cubs fan or you would never say that. :wink:


Derby, you truly did make me laugh out loud! Thank you, my friend, I needed a giggle! :lol:


Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 674
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:07 pm
 


ziggy wrote:
We had 9 feet of ice on lake Tehake this spring,same amount as the last 12 years when they started monitoring it.Trust me....it comes back end of September.The only ice melting up there this winter was in my glass of Crown Royal,nothing like huge chunks of blue arctic ice to compliment a good whisky. :wink:

You think your personal observation of one lake is an accurate measurment of the ice situation at the poles? There's many experts right now in both the Arctic and Antarctic studying this fulltime so I'd rather believe them.


Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 674
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:12 pm
 


stemmer wrote:
It's a natural cycle. However some politicians and scientists are using the threat of global warming to push political change.

Yes, there is a natural cycle the Earth goes through every 90,000 years due to changes in orbit. However, we should be heading into another Ice Age, which is what scientists in the 70s thought before they took into consideration the extra greenhouse gases.

stemmer wrote:
Solar activity probably has more to do with it...

That has nothing to do with it. The sun's output has not increased in the more than 30 years we've been monitoring it.

http://environment.newscientist.com/cha ... ge/dn11650


Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 674
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:14 pm
 


Wada wrote:
Yuppers! I read or saw it was a whole 2 degrees warmer.

And it will continue to go up. It may not make a difference to you today but to fragile ecosystems and people living on the coasts, it will be a big deal by the turn of the century.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 64544
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:23 pm
 


JetBoy wrote:
ziggy wrote:
We had 9 feet of ice on lake Tehake this spring,same amount as the last 12 years when they started monitoring it.Trust me....it comes back end of September.The only ice melting up there this winter was in my glass of Crown Royal,nothing like huge chunks of blue arctic ice to compliment a good whisky. :wink:

You think your personal observation of one lake is an accurate measurment of the ice situation at the poles? There's many experts right now in both the Arctic and Antarctic studying this fulltime so I'd rather believe them.


There are many experts in Ottawa who talk about political issues - do you believe them by default, too?


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 64544
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:25 pm
 


JetBoy wrote:
Wada wrote:
Yuppers! I read or saw it was a whole 2 degrees warmer.

And it will continue to go up. It may not make a difference to you today but to fragile ecosystems and people living on the coasts, it will be a big deal by the turn of the century.


That gives them just 93 years to figure out how to use one of these:

Image


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 699 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 ... 47  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.