canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:40 am

Title: Assembly of First Nations wants provinces, territories to butt out of First Nations pot sales
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: Strutz
Date: 2018-05-02 17:23:50
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:40 am

No problem. It's Federal Land so the provinces can't do squat to the Natives but my guess is that when they say they want a cut of the Tax Revenue it's not just for the money generated on the reserves.

To get a cut of any revenue from this whole process should require the applicant to participate in the partnership with the other players and follow a set or rules and guidelines that's both fair and equitable. So, if they want a share of the revenue they have to share the costs, just like the provinces. Otherwise it becomes just another gov't funded money for nothing scheme designed to assuage more liberal guilt.

But a question. If the bands are complaining that legalized pot's going to bring even more grief to the reserves why didn't they and the Federal Gov't shut down the "illegal" ones that are already there?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Probably be cheaper on reserve. Smokes sure are.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

I think that might be part of the problem. If they want to share the wealth they'll have to sign on to an agreement with the Province to run their businesses the same way and charge the same prices otherwise, they may as well just keep all the illegal shops and try to tax them themselves for revenue generation.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:34 pm

Why should they get special treatment?

Why is it that Natives constantly talk about being treated like everyone else yet anyways want special rules that only apply to them?

They've been selling pot on reserves openly for YEARS.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

I think that might be part of the problem. If they want to share the wealth they'll have to sign on to an agreement with the Province to run their businesses the same way and charge the same prices otherwise, they may as well just keep all the illegal shops and try to tax them themselves for revenue generation.

Cheap smokes and cheap pot. I fail to see any problem. If the province wants to reduce taxes to compete, they are free to do so.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Coach85 Coach85:

Why is it that Natives constantly talk about being treated like everyone else yet anyways want special rules that only apply to them?

They've been selling pot openly everywhere for years.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:43 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Coach85 Coach85:

They've been selling pot openly everywhere for years.

But the ones on the reserves are exempt from law enforcement and never were raided.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Cheap smokes and cheap pot. I fail to see any problem. If the province wants to reduce taxes to compete, they are free to do so.

Like that's gonna happen and why should it?

The provinces are being forced to pay for the policing and regulating of legalized pot whereas the Natives aren't burdened by those financial constraints, because the Federal gov't picks up the tab.

The problem is when they start talking about sharing the wealth, because they seem to want money for nothing and if that's the case then fuck em if they don't want to play nice and join their provincial regulatory bodies.

They're a Federal problem so, if they don't like the rules they can keep what revenue they get from selling pot cheaper than the market value on the reserves then, anything else they have no claim to.

Since money is what Trudeau is after I'm sure that he won't allow the reserves to cheap out and cut him out of his share though. XD

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:44 pm

Just too simple a solution. Pot, gas, cigs whatever. The Band charges market rates and collects the tax and the gov't rebates it all.
Everybody pays the same same, the Band wins, the members still see the benefits.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:42 am

herbie herbie:
The Band charges market rates and collects the tax and the gov't rebates it all.

To my knowledge, only the Provincial gas and tobacco taxes are rebated. They still have to pay Federal taxes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:33 am

Like that's gonna happen and why should it?

Then I'll keep getting my smokes and pot where it's cheaper.
$1:
The provinces are being forced to pay for the policing and regulating of legalized pot whereas the Natives aren't burdened by those financial constraints, because the Federal gov't picks up the tab.

The provinces aren't being forced to do anything. If they are spending more on policing it's due to all the tighty-righties having a shit hemorrhage over it, even though pot has been widely used by a large percentage of the population for over 100 years, with little negative social impact.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:44 am

$1:
The provinces aren't being forced to do anything. If they are spending more on policing it's due to all the tighty-righties having a shit hemorrhage over it, even though pot has been widely used by a large percentage of the population for over 100 years, with little negative social impact.

But.... but.... they GOTTA make more rules..... and enforce them.... they gotta....

They can't possibly just type in cannabis beside the alcohol and tobacco rules they already have... they just can't!! How could they waste time and money - that's the raison d'etre of any bureaucracy!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:41 pm

I thought that selling cigarettes and pot was a natives ancestral right. :?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Federal tax exemptions:

Information on the tax exemption under section 87 of the Indian Act

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/aboriginal-peoples/information-indians.html#hdng2

Provinces, obviously, province by province.