canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:01 am

Title: Australia wants to sell more military equipment to Canada � it could be an uphill battle
Category: Military
Posted By: Freakinoldguy
Date: 2018-02-05 03:54:14
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:01 am

And the good news is that they don't have to sell us anything new. We'll buy anybody's crap, just ask the Brits. [cheer]
But hey, they just paid off 4 more of these barely used, granny driven to church every Sunday Frigates

0:
800px-US_Navy_100624-N-6854D-014_HMAS_Newcastle_(FFG_06)_pulls_into_Joint_Base_Pearl_Harbor-Hickam,_Hawaii,_to_support_RIMPAC_2010.jpg
800px-US_Navy_100624-N-6854D-014_HMAS_Newcastle_(FFG_06)_pulls_into_Joint_Base_Pearl_Harbor-Hickam,_Hawaii,_to_support_RIMPAC_2010.jpg [ 99.65 KiB | Viewed 57 times ]

So I'm sure that our Gov't could get them at a good price and replace at least 4 of our old frigates with these even older frigates which would keep things right inline with the PM's used car type procurement programs and save the taxpayers a shitload of money that could then be spent on more important things like aide to Syria. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:24 am

Or his taxpayer funded trips to visit the AK's island retreat.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:29 am

Newsbot Newsbot:

Thanks, but no thanks!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:03 am

You folks should just give up on trying to have a military. It's a lot easier for Canada to be the next Costa Rica than the next Denmark.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:09 am

Be neat to get our hands on some of the Aussies combat-hardened battle-kangaroos. Too bad it's too cold up here for the wee beasties. :mrgreen:

Cute or not they're still like something out of a Cthulhu story. 8O

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:49 am

I've never understood the desire to spend literally 10's of billions of dollars (or even more) on new military equipment that we just don't use. We need something to honor our NATO and UN commitments, and used will do just fine for that. But at the end of the day, we're far too small to ever support a real deterrent type military so we rely on the UN, NATO and international laws to protect us.

What I really don't get is the same people who tend to complain we aren't spending enough billions on the military are the ones who complain when a few million dollars get spent on a social program they don't like. [bash]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:58 am

You've got that in reverse. Military procurement is the first place visited by the politicians when they're in a need to play Austerity Hero for their followers and the hack media.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:04 am

Prof_Chomsky Prof_Chomsky:
I've never understood the desire to spend literally 10's of billions of dollars (or even more) on new military equipment that we just don't use.

As Ukraine found out in 2014 the best use of weaponry is as a deterrent. Had Ukraine not surrendered their nuclear arsenal I suspect that the Russians would not have been quite so eager to invade and occupy half of that country.

We need something to honor our NATO and UN commitments, and used will do just fine for that. But at the end of the day, we're far too small to ever support a real deterrent type military so we rely on the UN, NATO and international laws to protect us.

If you don't do your part for NATO then we don't need you in NATO. Oh, and good luck with the lawyers at the UN 'protecting' you because they truly don't give one single fuck about you.

What I really don't get is the same people who tend to complain we aren't spending enough billions on the military are the ones who complain when a few million dollars get spent on a social program they don't like. [bash]

It's actually quite the opposite in Canada. Billions get spent on social programs and when any money gets spent on the military the leftists shit bricks over it.

So like I said, just give up on having a military. It's easier and the sailors and soldiers who won't have to do their jobs with inferior and leftover crap will likely appreciate the intellectual honesty from your government be it Liberal, Conservative, or NDP.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:53 am

Canada is one of the most intellectually dishonest countries on the planet. Too much hypocrisy combined with a pathetic dog-like need to be loved and viewed as oh-so-good by the other nations. Most under-reported story, which ironically ties in quite neatly with military supply issues, is how the Canadian equipment that was sold to the Saudis and was "promised" not to be used for aggressive war has been used by the Saudis in their brutality against the Yemeni Shiites practically from the moment the vehicles were offloaded into Saudi possession. And the response from both the Canadian government and media has, at best, been a staggering "meh".

Yeah, we're the good guys alright. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 pm

I've never understood the desire to spend literally 10's of billions of dollars (or even more) on new military equipment that we just don't use. We need something to honor our NATO and UN commitments, and used will do just fine for that. But at the end of the day, we're far too small to ever support a real deterrent type military so we rely on the UN, NATO and international laws to protect us.

Social programs like:

Omar Khadr

Sponsored Social Media

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau ... -1.3607104

17 Million to protect socks

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/9b8v ... deau-vgtrn

Public Polling

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/trude ... t-8-years/

Hundreds of millions more on refugees than claimed

http://torontosun.com/2016/11/25/the-tr ... 98cc1d71f7

75 million in ad's touting their budget

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... e23824771/

Do you want me to go on? That's just a few of the "social programs" our dear leader chose to spend money on while, telling veterans that there's no money for them and the serving members that they'll have to wait for decades to get new equipment that they were promised years ago.

Seems to me it's you and not us that's doing the bitching and that you're the one who's terrified that money currently being spent frivolously by this regime will be transferred to cover our international obligations.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Australia wants to sell more military equipment to Canada

Of course they do, they can recognize a sucker when they see one.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:21 pm

:(

Attachments:
Trudope.jpg
Trudope.jpg [ 91.1 KiB | Viewed 23 times ]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:24 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:

Social programs like:

Omar Khadr

Sponsored Social Media

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau ... -1.3607104

17 Million to protect socks

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/9b8v ... deau-vgtrn

Public Polling

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/trude ... t-8-years/

Hundreds of millions more on refugees than claimed

http://torontosun.com/2016/11/25/the-tr ... 98cc1d71f7

75 million in ad's touting their budget

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... e23824771/

Do you want me to go on? That's just a few of the "social programs" our dear leader chose to spend money on while, telling veterans that there's no money for them and the serving members that they'll have to wait for decades to get new equipment that they were promised years ago.

Seems to me it's you and not us that's doing the bitching and that you're the one who's terrified that money currently being spent frivolously by this regime will be transferred to cover our international obligations.

And add up all those truly ridiculous programs (they are waste for sure, although I *highly* doubt most of those numbers are accurate), and you get less than the cost of 1 wing of a new fighter jet.

Also, holy hell you've gone off the deep end. "I'm terrified that money currently being spent frivously... will be transferred to cover international obligations" ? Christ. Yeah, I'm terrified they'll defund their ads touting their budgets!

Now what I am afraid of is they'll defund health care, education, infrastructure and other things we all need and use daily as citizens, in order to buy some flashy military toys we'll never actually use.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:31 pm

And add up all those truly ridiculous programs (they are waste for sure, although I *highly* doubt most of those numbers are accurate), and you get less than the cost of 1 wing of a new fighter jet.

Also, holy hell you've gone off the deep end. "I'm terrified that money currently being spent frivously... will be transferred to cover international obligations" ? Christ. Yeah, I'm terrified they'll defund their ads touting their budgets!

Now what I am afraid of is they'll defund health care, education, infrastructure and other things we all need and use daily as citizens, in order to buy some flashy military toys we'll never actually use.

Did anyone ever tell you, never bring a knife to a gunfight.