canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:26 pm

Title: Australian mom slams anti-vaxxers after sharing heartbreaking photo of hospitalized baby
Category: Health
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2016-06-10 06:25:12
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:26 pm

This seriously sucks. Too young for anything to be done for that child. Perfect example of where "herd immunity" comes into play.

That said, until I read this article I didn't know there was a vaccine for chicken pox? I remember growing up, we all had a "summer bash" complete with swimming pools and other such contagion-sharing activities whenever someone got chicken pox. Make sure everyone had it and done with it.

I never got it, which always concerned my docs and parents until I joined the CF where, lucky for me, it was discovered I had a genetic immunity to it, among a host of other infections. I hope I can pass it on to my kids (when I have them).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:42 pm

Toss this at them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:46 pm

the hardcore ones won't listen to reason. Ban the kids from school unless vaccinated.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:52 pm

Agreed. And it remains endlessly ironic that the previous two or three generations of people that benefited the most from life-improving vaccines, and the virtual elimination of diseases that killed endless millions throughout history, turned out to be the ones who spawned the anti-vaxxer movement. Kind of the ultimate selfish expression of the "I've got mine but you can't have yours" mindset that's been growing over the last several decades.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:25 pm

I remember getting some of the vaccinations at school by a nurse. At least the ones for measles, polio and other ones I don't recall now.

Chicken pox I've had at the same time it seemed the whole school did. :lol: Mumps too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:41 pm

I had a really mild outbreak of chicken pox. It was late spring in Gr.2 and I remember being pissed that I couldn't go outside to play with the other kids and I missed a school field trip to Ft. Rodd and Fisgard lighthouse.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:21 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
I had a really mild outbreak of chicken pox. It was late spring in Gr.2 and I remember being pissed that I couldn't go outside to play with the other kids and I missed a school field trip to Ft. Rodd and Fisgard lighthouse.

Ok, but why are you STILL pissed :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:50 pm

I had chicken pox in Grade 2 as well, all I remember is the oatmeal bath.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:24 am

My little brother has you all beat. He developed chicken pox while he was recovering from getting hit by a car and was in a full body cast from mid-chest to his toes! 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:11 am

My kid had it twice. First at 9 months from her sister, and later in pre school.

Also... how can she bitch about people having to vaccinate their children when she, as an adult, now has chicken pox? Was she not immunized?? She never contracted it? So maybe your kid got it from yourself then...

I think the blame game over childrens illnesses is going a bit far here... kids get sick. They have to. They build immunity from getting sick. It learns its body to heal itself. Play in the dirt. Let them run a fever.