Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:39 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Also it’s not a right wing plot to “make liberals look bad”, the Fraser Institute ran these same reports when Harper was in charge. It’s a right wing plot to enrich corporations and the 1% by abolishing taxes, privatizing public services, and defunding regulators, which in the long run will turn this place into a third world country.

^ This, so this!

To be honest, I see both the Right and the Left trying to destroy this country in their own way. The Right absolutely wants to make their rich buddies richer.. The left wants to socialize everything and give everyone money (which I love the concept), but they also want to tax the shit out of the populace. So, for a while we'd have money, but then we'd be bankrupt.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:50 pm

llama66 llama66:
bootlegga bootlegga:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Also it’s not a right wing plot to “make liberals look bad”, the Fraser Institute ran these same reports when Harper was in charge. It’s a right wing plot to enrich corporations and the 1% by abolishing taxes, privatizing public services, and defunding regulators, which in the long run will turn this place into a third world country.

^ This, so this!

To be honest, I see both the Right and the Left trying to destroy this country in their own way. The Right absolutely wants to make their rich buddies richer.. The left wants to socialize everything and give everyone money (which I love the concept), but they also want to tax the shit out of the populace. So, for a while we'd have money, but then we'd be bankrupt.

Agreed, I wish there was a sensible centrist alternative.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 pm

$1:

$1:

Thou speakest loads of shit. The "right" is nowhere near the disgusting loutish demi-fascists of the USA, merely a group of confused policy deprived malcontents who actually believe the cliche they here from their counterpsrts ("my tax dollars","tax and spend", the immigration problem as percieved by sons of immigrants... etc)
NO PARTY wants to increase your taxes
The furthest left party ran on a balanced budget, no deficit platform
The Liberals have always been and still are your 'centrist' party.

Wishing the truth was otherwise won't help make it so.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:57 am

herbie herbie:

Sorry but that's just another myth. They all want to raise your taxes it's just that they have to find creative ways to do it so you won't notice and in that category the Liberals seem to be taking the lead.

$1:
Four years ago, then-prime minister Stephen Harper used the first week of the 2015 federal election campaign to pledge that, if re-elected, his government would not institute a “Netflix tax.” The Liberals responded with a no-Netflix-tax promise of their own, which became government policy when Justin Trudeau was elected a few months later. Yet as Canada heads toward another election this fall, Canadian Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez and his party seem ready to place the spotlight on Netflix taxes once again. Only this time, the government will call out opposition parties that do not commit to new internet taxes.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... CQ8u0EgkYU

So not only are they going to hide it in taxes to the streaming services a fact which will equate to cost increases for the average Canadian, they're going to attempt to bully the opposition into agreeing with their latest scam and if people think this is being done to protect Canadian Content then could they please explain this:

$1:
The Netflix tax that Mr. Rodriguez appears to have in mind would involve mandated payments by digital services in support of Canadian content production. The Liberal government initially rejected the idea as part of its digital cultural strategy, emphasizing enhanced “discoverability” of Canadian content on internet platforms and voluntary agreements to invest in Canada, headlined by the $500-million commitment over five years from Netflix for production in Canada that was announced in 2017.

I'm sorry but, shit like this is just another new and creative way for the Liberals to tax Canadians while being able to claim they haven't. But, you've definitely got to give them props for being creative because, most people won't ever figure out why their streaming fees have increased and will blame the services rather than the real culprits. ROTFL

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:39 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
I'm sorry but, shit like this is just another new and creative way for the Liberals to tax Canadians while being able to claim they haven't. But, you've definitely got to give them props for being creative because, most people won't ever figure out why their streaming fees have increased and will blame the services rather than the real culprits. ROTFL

Streaming fees have increased twice over the last 5 years. They will go up again in early 2020. But no tax has been announced. :idea:

Now Disney is getting into the business. At what point do these services become common carriers and fall under the CRTC? Since they do a large amount of business in Canada, should they not be taxed?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:07 am

herbie herbie:

Sorry but that's just another myth. They all want to raise your taxes it's just that they have to find creative ways to do it so you won't notice and in that category the Liberals seem to be taking the lead.

$1:
Four years ago, then-prime minister Stephen Harper used the first week of the 2015 federal election campaign to pledge that, if re-elected, his government would not institute a “Netflix tax.” The Liberals responded with a no-Netflix-tax promise of their own, which became government policy when Justin Trudeau was elected a few months later. Yet as Canada heads toward another election this fall, Canadian Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez and his party seem ready to place the spotlight on Netflix taxes once again. Only this time, the government will call out opposition parties that do not commit to new internet taxes.

So not only are they going to hide it in taxes to the streaming services a fact which will equate to cost increases for the average Canadian, they're going to attempt to bully the opposition into agreeing with their latest scam and if people think this is being done to protect Canadian Content then could they please explain this:

$1:
The Netflix tax that Mr. Rodriguez appears to have in mind would involve mandated payments by digital services in support of Canadian content production. The Liberal government initially rejected the idea as part of its digital cultural strategy, emphasizing enhanced “discoverability” of Canadian content on internet platforms and voluntary agreements to invest in Canada, headlined by the $500-million commitment over five years from Netflix for production in Canada that was announced in 2017.

Closing the loophole that allows services like Netflix to avoid collecting GST like any other business is not a new tax.

That said it’s generally true nowadays that Liberals and NDP look to increase taxes on the wealthiest people and businesses while conservatives look to lower or abolish taxes for the wealthiest people and businesses.

So-called “centrists” like Chretien/Martin and the Clintons are just pro-business conservatives, but without all the social/religious hang-ups over gays, abortion, marijuana, etc. These so-called “centrists” are just as responsible as conservatives for the world-wide erosion of the middle classes and transfer of wealth and power to the 1% and mega-corporations.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:15 am

herbie herbie:
$1:

$1:

Thou speakest loads of shit. The "right" is nowhere near the disgusting loutish demi-fascists of the USA, merely a group of confused policy deprived malcontents who actually believe the cliche they here from their counterpsrts ("my tax dollars","tax and spend", the immigration problem as percieved by sons of immigrants... etc)

And yet the Liberals are the ones implementing new taxes.

Centrist Parties implement sane right down the middle policies, not policy clearly aimed at industry. The Liberals have not been a centrist party for some time. I fear Centrism is dead.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:17 am

herbie herbie:
$1:

$1:

Horseshit - the Liberals have never been a centrist party in my lifetime. The Liberals under King, St. Laurent and to a lesser extent, Pearson, were as close to a centrist party that Canada has ever had IMHO. PET moved them away from the centre and farther left, just like Harper moved the Conservatives farther right away from the centre.

That the Liberals are closest to the centre currently does NOT make them centrist.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:36 am

Well being of a different perspective, the Liberals are a goddam right wing party. But I'm trying to be objective.
To me the fucking NDP has turned centrist

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:44 am

Thats fucking it. I'm going to create the Middle Party of Canada (MPC).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:31 am

llama66 llama66:
Thats fucking it. I'm going to create the Middle Party of Canada (MPC).

Use a spitting llama as the party symbol

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:54 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
herbie herbie:

$1:

$1:

Closing the loophole that allows services like Netflix to avoid collecting GST like any other business is not a new tax.

That said it’s generally true nowadays that Liberals and NDP look to increase taxes on the wealthiest people and businesses while conservatives look to lower or abolish taxes for the wealthiest people and businesses.

So-called “centrists” like Chretien/Martin and the Clintons are just pro-business conservatives, but without all the social/religious hang-ups over gays, abortion, marijuana, etc. These so-called “centrists” are just as responsible as conservatives for the world-wide erosion of the middle classes and transfer of wealth and power to the 1% and mega-corporations.

But the GST is a tax which means it's cost will be passed on to the herd since large corporations and companies don't like to take to profit losses that benefit people over their shareholders. So, unless the Gov't caps the cost of Netflix this proposed tax is sure to be passed on to consumer which makes it just another proxy tax. Something we've gotten quite used to here in BC where neither the NDP nor Liberals have raised our taxes in years. :wink: :wink:

BTW Chretien/Martin might have been more to the center than today's Liberal leadership but make no mistake Trudeau/Butts are left wing through and through and their actions reflect that.

And, Scheer is still an unknown since he hasn't been able to make policy. But I guess we'll see what his ideas towards taxes are in a couple of months. But what's scary is that he unlike Harper won't have Jim Flaherty's financial acumen when making policy.[B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:04 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

But the GST is a tax which means it's cost will be passed on to the herd since large corporations and companies don't like to take to profit losses that benefit people over their shareholders. So, unless the Gov't caps the cost of Netflix this proposed tax is sure to be passed on to consumer which makes it just another proxy tax.

Let me try this again: ALL Canadian businesses are required to collect GST, which is always a separate line item on the bill.

Of course the Internet didn’t really exist when the GST was introduced so foreign based companies selling services in Canada over the Internet like Netflix are in limbo. It’s not a “new tax” to close that loophole. It’s applying an existing tax to new business. Get it? It’s Netflix that’s new, not the GST.

$1:
BTW Chretien/Martin might have been more to the center than today's Liberal leadership but make no mistake Trudeau/Butts are left wing through and through and their actions reflect that.
. Yes that’s my point. Left good, centrists bad, in my opinion

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:08 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

But the GST is a tax which means it's cost will be passed on to the herd since large corporations and companies don't like to take to profit losses that benefit people over their shareholders. So, unless the Gov't caps the cost of Netflix this proposed tax is sure to be passed on to consumer which makes it just another proxy tax.

Let me try this again: ALL Canadian businesses are required to collect GST, which is always a separate line item on the bill.

Of course the Internet didn’t really exist when the GST was introduced so foreign based companies selling services in Canada over the Internet like Netflix are in limbo. It’s not a “new tax” to close that loophole. It’s applying an existing tax to new business. Get it? It’s Netflix that’s new, not the GST.

$1:
. Yes that’s my point. Left good, centrists bad, in my opinion

And my point is that a tax is a tax is a tax and if it hasn't been applied to something before it's a new tax for what it's being applied to. And just because a tax is old doesn't mean it'a application isn't new.

But thank you for your opinion. Now, we'll have to agree to disagree about the left being better than centrists. [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:56 am

But I think reasonable people could understand that it’s right and reasonable that if a universal sales tax exists, it should apply to all sales and not simply sales of certain products that existed when the sales tax was introduced. Even if you don't agree with the sales tax, I think a reasonable person would agree that if it does exist it should at least be applied consistently and fairly.