CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28815
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:31 pm
 


Title: B.C. fish processors spewing potentially dangerous bloodwater into key salmon migration corridor
Category: Environmental
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2017-11-27 21:23:38
Canadian


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1933
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:31 pm
 


But..........but it's the Left Coast. They protest pipelines. They protest logging. They protest dams. Hell they protest protests. But clean up their own backyard......no way.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9056
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:43 pm
 


Oh come on. Where in BC do you live where you haven't seen all the anti-salmon farming protests?
But this shit is an atom bomb for them. Where the hell were the regulations? The feds charge you for a fishing license and then say it's BC's problem. The farms use the 'following regulations' argument, but their BC Liberal bum buddies wrote the regs. And never bothered to check if they were any good.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1051
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:04 am
 


Oh, I get it!
Canadian fisherman are bad! Selling off all Canadian fishing rights to foreigners is good!


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9056
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:32 am
 


CharlesAnthony wrote:
Oh, I get it!
Canadian fisherman are bad! Selling off all Canadian fishing rights to foreigners is good!

Are you shockedcanadian's 13 yr old brother posting from the other downstairs bedroom on the Android tablet Gramma gave you last Christmas?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 23771
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:49 am
 


herbie wrote:
CharlesAnthony wrote:
Oh, I get it!
Canadian fisherman are bad! Selling off all Canadian fishing rights to foreigners is good!

Are you shockedcanadian's 13 yr old brother posting from the other downstairs bedroom on the Android tablet Gramma gave you last Christmas?

I'd be checking their IPs. :lol:


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63946
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:57 am
 


CharlesAnthony wrote:
Oh, I get it!
Canadian fisherman are bad! Selling off all Canadian fishing rights to foreigners is good!


Pretty much, you're right.

Because Canadian salmon fisheries are having these 'problems' but Alaskan and Washington State fisheries are not having these problems.

A few years back I recall some sort of moratorium on salmon fishing was imposed on Canadian fishermen by BC and when Canada tried to insist that Alaska and Washington had to go along with the idea they told BC to fuck off. Granted, it was a few more words than that but that was the intended sentiment.

What your radical environmentalist and vegetarian activist groups want is to permanently ban fishing.

That's their goal and when you look at it that way these things make sense.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9056
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 pm
 


What they want is to protect the wild salmon so there WILL be fishing. Releasing unprocessed waste full of virii directly into their path is NOT protecting them.
Don't forget the massive net failure in Washington state just a few months back, releasing thousands of Atlantic salmon into the habitat. Releasing virus is worse!

FFS you constant attacks against anything at all that might fix or improve the environment is disgusting. Surprised you aren't applauding Victoria for dumping raw shit into the ocean because it saved you $2 in taxes.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63946
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:17 pm
 


herbie wrote:
FFS you constant attacks against anything at all that might fix or improve the environment is disgusting. [\quote]

The problem I have is when people like yourself want industries destroyed, taxes raised, people abused, and economies devastated because something might have a positive impact.

That kind of thinking led to the chemical MBTE being added into gasoline in California because it might improve the environment.

Yah, not quite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTBE_controversy

herbie wrote:
Surprised you aren't applauding Victoria for dumping raw shit into the ocean because it saved you $2 in taxes.


1. I supported the proposal for a sewage plant all the way back to 1997 when Lisa and I bought the house in Oak Bay. (I know, 'Fucking Americans meddling in Canada's business', right?)

2. Low tide along Dallas Road stinks like shit. For a good reason. :idea:

3. The annual tax increase we were looking at for our three properties that we divested from was along the order of CDN$1300. Not a mere toonie.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9056
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:45 pm
 


Not the point, it was analogy.
But now you say you'd support a pro-environment objective because you can see and smell it, but oppose almost any other because 'vegetarians' are behind it.
Fall a bit short on people who can see and experience climate change outside their front window or oppose pipelines crossing their favorite trout stream.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
Profile
Posts: 6629
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:35 pm
 


Farmed fishing along the coast should be banned. I would not be opposed to crating an inland artificial sea for farming purposes; but this shit, and many other issues are why I vehemently oppose fish farming and refuse to purchase farmed products.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9056
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 pm
 


Don't agree. They must be held to standards, and yesterday the Minister rose in the Legislature and mentioned the farm failed tests in 2013... and it was NEVER FOLLOWED UP since!
We went thru this laid off all the Inspectors here in central BC bullshit. Restaurants failed inspectors and no one came back for up to two years to see if they'd complied with orders. Took a shitstorm of protest to get Inspectors back.
Politicians have a JOB. Lay off the bullshit and DO YOUR JOB. I see them all whining over this pot legislation, they've known since 2015, been given a year and a lot of provinces 'need more time'. Bullshit! DO YOUR FUCKING JOB. Same advice I give the young ones its a J-O-B not F-T-D, get to work!

We don't eat farmed salmon, its not as nice as fresh Pacific salmon. And my Dad worked for BC Packers and she grew up in Terrace so we we're sick of salmon by High school. Both of us would've traded you a baloney sandwich for a salmon sandwich any day. But I'm odd too - I prefer oysters deep fried (oysterburger!) and salmon raw on sashimi...


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13699
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:05 am
 


And now a dissenting voice to all the talking heads who keep claiming that "SALMON FARMS ARE KILLING ALL OUR WILD SALMON"

Quote:
In 2007, a study published in Science magazine made an ominous prediction: Broughton Archipelago pink salmon stocks faced extinction by 2015, as a result of sea lice from area fish farms infecting wild salmon stocks.

“The louse-induced mortality of pink salmon is commonly over 80% and exceeds previous fishing mortality,” the study, co-authored by Martin Krkošek and Alexandra Morton, concluded. “If outbreaks continue, then local extinction is certain, and a 99% collapse in pink salmon population abundance is expected in four salmon generations.”

And in 2010, the Cohen Commission heard testimony that sea lice and disease transmission from fish farms might have contributed to the 2009 collapse of Fraser River sockeye.

But wild pink salmon stocks in the Broughton Archipelago didn’t collapse – they surged dramatically in 2014. And in 2010, Fraser River sockeye made a stunning comeback, with a return of 28 million fish, followed four years later with a return of 19 million.

That’s not to say that some wild salmon stocks in B.C. aren’t struggling. Chinook numbers, in particular, remain low throughout the Pacific region. But some fisheries scientists say recent surges of pink and sockeye salmon should have put to rest the theory that fish farms are wiping out wild salmon stocks.

“The abundance of pink salmon is not at all affected by those fish farms, no matter what anybody says,” said Dick Beamish, a retired Pacific Biological Station fisheries scientist. “That could be easily demonstrated, and it has been.”

Some scientists fear that the attention activists have focused on the fish farm issue might be diverting attention from climate change, ocean ranching and other threats that deserve at least as much scrutiny as fish farms.

“Fish farms obviously should draw some attention, but they shouldn’t be the main focus,” said Randall Peterman, professor emeritus at Simon Fraser University and a senior scientist with the university’s Quantitative Fisheries Research Group. “There are lots of other things going on out there that we may or may not be able to influence.”

Morton and Krkošek said any recovery of wild stocks has been the result of fish farms being pressured into changing the way they manage sea lice outbreaks.

But are fish farms really the biggest threat to wild salmon stocks? Or are they just the most visible of the many potential threats that wild salmon face?

Using historic data on salmon escapement and catch, Business in Vancouver created a data visualization that could challenge some popular notions about the state of Pacific wild salmon.

For one, it illustrates that Pacific salmon are far from collapsing – swinging wildly from extreme lows and highs, in some cases, but not collapsing. Pink salmon, in particular, have reached record levels in the Pacific region.

That might be one of the problems. Some scientists suggest pink salmon could be thriving to the detriment of other species. And their abundance may have something to do with the five billion juvenile salmon – mostly pink and chum – released into the ocean every year by hatcheries in Japan, Alaska and Russia.


https://www.biv.com/article/2017/5/what ... on-stocks/

So once again, rather than investigating all the reasons why the wild salmon are having problems the talking heads hold protests and make unfounded and overhyped accusations laying the blame on an industry that may not be the reason at all why some salmon stocks are struggling.

For alot of these champions of the "environment" this fight has more to do with anti globalism and the Black Bloc mentality than with saving the salmon which is sad because their accusations and innuendo's take away from the real problems and solutions.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 14232
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:43 am
 


Wow the righties are really rabid on this thread. What’s got them so worked up?I thought this would be a pretty mundane non-partisan topi. Don’t real macho MAGAS only eat red meat anyway?


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9056
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:52 am
 


They may have been raised like me, we were taught in the 1960s that the endless bounty of the sea could feed mankind forever, and still believe that shit in spite of all that's happened.

But freakinoldguy has a very valid point. Almost all you see and hear is 'end fish farms' and no common sense "so fix it!"
Partly because Big Business refuses to even try to fix it either. Can't even consider moving pipelines away from rivers, refusing to even consider moving their terminal off spawning grounds, appealing and threatening to 'reconsider the project' even when they're granted alternative routes, insisting to the end the tankers MUST travel through sensitive areas, denying oil spills happen, ships sink, or there even can be another way.
Remember Enbridge's TV ads, maps that showed no islands in the way even when a ferry sank and a barge leaked right there? Or showing a map at our town hall that conviently was cut off so you didn't see a major creek only meters away?
Or in the fish farm's case "we were following the rules" when we all fucking know they were following to the absolute bare minimum cheapest possible interpretation all the while knowing the rules weren't good enough.
We know aquaculture works, look at Europe.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  1  2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.