Title: B.C. hiker airlifted from Mount Seymour in dramatic helicopter rescue
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2014-11-30 21:53:29
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:44 am

Happens all the time. Mt seymour isn't much of a mountain, you can easily hike up it in runners in the summer, but it has a steep face. Get on that, or slip on ice/snow and you can be in trouble real fast. People just don't use their heads.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:02 am

It's skiers that go off into clearly marked no go zones, and then get into trouble, that garner very little sympathy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:06 am

I've done plenty of out of bounds skiing using the lifts to get there quickly. Again, you have to know what you're doing and be prepared same as if you go in the back country. I would be on touring skis with skins in my pocket, so I can go up if need be, have your pieps on, etc. and be able to evaluate the conditions in the first place.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:00 pm

water

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Why are our rescue aircraft not equipped for night time operations?

Depending on what tech you want to use the light bulb has been around for 200ish years, thermal imaging from 1913, and low light amplification from 1939.

A modern thermal imager with or without bi processing low light amplification can deliver an image good enough to make out faces.

It's dark we can't fly is BS.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Xort Xort:
Why are our rescue aircraft not equipped for night time operations?

Depending on what tech you want to use the light bulb has been around for 200ish years, thermal imaging from 1913, and low light amplification from 1939.

A modern thermal imager with or without bi processing low light amplification can deliver an image good enough to make out faces.

It's dark we can't fly is BS.

The helicopters have everything they need to conduct nighttime operations, as do the rescue personal, the problem lies with the rules and regulations laid down by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada. The only organization certified for nighttime operations, as far as I know, is the 442 Transport and Rescue Squadron based at CFB Comox.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Hyack Hyack:
The helicopters have everything they need to conduct nighttime operations, as do the rescue personal, the problem lies with the rules and regulations laid down by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada. The only organization certified for nighttime operations, as far as I know, is the 442 Transport and Rescue Squadron based at CFB Comox.

Do they not meet the qualification for night time certification?

Or is it just not a big enough issue for the TSB to get with the times and cert everyone that operates rescue aircraft?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:08 pm

andyt andyt:
I've done plenty of out of bounds skiing using the lifts to get there quickly. Again, you have to know what you're doing and be prepared same as if you go in the back country. I would be on touring skis with skins in my pocket, so I can go up if need be, have your pieps on, etc. and be able to evaluate the conditions in the first place.

A ski bum who works 10 to 4 at Tim Hortons. Gees who would have guessed it. :lol:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:23 pm

Xort Xort:
Hyack Hyack:

Do they not meet the qualification for night time certification?

Or is it just not a big enough issue for the TSB to get with the times and cert everyone that operates rescue aircraft?

Sorry, you'll have to talk to the TSB about that.