Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Brenda Brenda:
jeff744 jeff744:
Brenda Brenda:
A teacher can't live on $70K/yr?
The mechanic that makes sure you get to work safely makes 2/3rd of that. Also only has 10, 15 paid days off/yr. Just sayin.

The mechanic also doesn't spend all weekend grading papers, making tests, doing report cards, and working to organize school sports. They also don't have to deal with parents mad about their children's report cards or defending little Johnny because there is no way he would have hit that boy. Mechanics more often than not have their interactions with people limited to "what seems to be the problem?" and "you owe X".

Not really.
The boss does expect you to stay on top of your trade in your spare time.

So are teachers, they regularly attend conventions and have meetings that a mechanic would not.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:42 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
Brenda Brenda:
My uncle is a teacher in Surrey. Makes $80k/yr. Does not get paid in July and August (is also not working in July and August). He was complaining about that.

:evil: You ninja edited on me

Two months is a long time to go without money, I know that in Sask they can ask to get their salary summer payments for summer in one lump sum or to get their cheques as regularly as before. The only difference is that payment is spread over 12 months instead of 10.

You cannot save up yourself for those 2 months?
Also, his wife is principal at the same school. She makes $110k/yr. You cannot tell me they should have a hard time making ends meet.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:42 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
Brenda Brenda:
jeff744 jeff744:
The mechanic also doesn't spend all weekend grading papers, making tests, doing report cards, and working to organize school sports. They also don't have to deal with parents mad about their children's report cards or defending little Johnny because there is no way he would have hit that boy. Mechanics more often than not have their interactions with people limited to "what seems to be the problem?" and "you owe X".

Not really.
The boss does expect you to stay on top of your trade in your spare time.

So are teachers, they regularly attend conventions and have meetings that a mechanic would not.

How many meetings and courses do you think mechanics are supposed to take? In their spare time, that is not paid for, even when it is at night?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Brenda Brenda:
jeff744 jeff744:
Brenda Brenda:
My uncle is a teacher in Surrey. Makes $80k/yr. Does not get paid in July and August (is also not working in July and August). He was complaining about that.

:evil: You ninja edited on me

Two months is a long time to go without money, I know that in Sask they can ask to get their salary summer payments for summer in one lump sum or to get their cheques as regularly as before. The only difference is that payment is spread over 12 months instead of 10.

You cannot save up yourself for those 2 months?
Also, his wife is principal at the same school. She makes $110k/yr. You cannot tell me they should have a hard time making ends meet.

Saving up is a lot harder than people think, you can predict the need for X amount but suddenly your car breaks down or house is robbed and now you have to find a way to make ends meet until autumn comes so that money comes back into your life, likely by taking a second job for summer, assuming you can find one.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:49 pm

When you make $8k a month, it is not hard to set $1500/mo aside. Seriously.
There are people who don't even make $1500/mo.

If it IS hard to set that aside, while you know Summer is coming, you are living WAY above your means.
THAT should not have to affect my kids. Who, btw, have to go to daycare in summer, because I still have to work.

Last edited by Brenda on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Brenda Brenda:
How many meetings and courses do you think mechanics are supposed to take? In their spare time, that is not paid for, even when it is at night?

Teachers aren't paid for meetings either, they are paid a set salary, generally people on salary work several times more than people on a wage, my dad recently got off a salary and is making almost double what he was while on it because of the amount of overtime he does.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Brenda Brenda:

Closer to 7K actually, and that is before taxes, then you have mortgage, car payments, bills, probably children to feed and possibly get to sports, food, etc. It looks easy on paper but there can be a lot of circumstances that keep them from being able to save up enough money to survive any problems.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:53 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
Brenda Brenda:

Teachers aren't paid for meetings either, they are paid a set salary, generally people on salary work several times more than people on a wage, my dad recently got off a salary and is making almost double what he was while on it because of the amount of overtime he does.

GENERALLY? Because your father did?

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:56 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
Brenda Brenda:

Closer to 7K actually, and that is before taxes, then you have mortgage, car payments, bills, probably children to feed and possibly get to sports, food, etc. It looks easy on paper but there can be a lot of circumstances that keep them from being able to save up enough money to survive any problems.

EVERYONE has that, even the mechanic. Who has to save up for sick days, (because every hour you do not work, you do not get paid. when the boss planned work wrongly, you get sent home because there is nothing to do, so you do not get paid) who has a mortgage to pay, kids to send to day care.

How old ore you, 17, never held a job AND have no kids nor a mortgage??

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:58 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
Brenda Brenda:
The mechanic that makes sure you get to work safely makes 2/3rd of that. Also only has 10, 15 paid days off/yr. Just sayin.

They may choose a different occupation if they are unhappy with the work/pay ratio.

As a BC taxpayer, I think they get enough. Don't like it, move or go unionize Walmart.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:02 pm

Brenda Brenda:
jeff744 jeff744:
Brenda Brenda:

GENERALLY? Because your father did?

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Would you like more examples? Almost every single teacher in my old school would almost double their income if they did not have a salary, that is very common because of how much time they actually put in after 3:30. In his case when he went to work it was rare for him to be alone, there was almost always 5-6 people there with him and this was in a small town. I also know a few guys in IT that are on a salary and have had weeks where they went home long enough sleep and shower before coming back to work. When people go off of salaries they almost always see increases in the amount they make because it is cheaper to have them do the OT for free than to hire another person to make it so that they don't have to.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
jeff744 jeff744:
Brenda Brenda:

They may choose a different occupation if they are unhappy with the work/pay ratio.

As a BC taxpayer, I think they get enough. Don't like it, move or go unionize Walmart.

Not arguing they should get more, but the fact they don't have the option to be paid over 12 months instead of 10 is surprising to me as many teachers acknowledge that would be very useful to them as they can be prone to forget to think far enough ahead when it comes to money and want the 12 months to limit their damage.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:07 pm

If they can't teach themselves to budget their pay over ten months to cover their two months off then they have no business teaching children.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:08 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
Not arguing they should get more, but the fact they don't have the option to be paid over 12 months instead of 10 is surprising to me as many teachers acknowledge that would be very useful to them as they can be prone to forget to think far enough ahead when it comes to money and want the 12 months to limit their damage.

Sorry, they're teacher's... they're paid to teach. If they can't teach themselves to put some money away for those 2 months, they have no pity from me. How difficult is it to transfer part of your pay to a different account, one that you won't touch until summer?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Brenda Brenda:
jeff744 jeff744:
Brenda Brenda:

EVERYONE has that, even the mechanic. Who has to save up for sick days, (because every hour you do not work, you do not get paid. when the boss planned work wrongly, you get sent home because there is nothing to do, so you do not get paid) who has a mortgage to pay, kids to send to day care.

How old ore you, 17, never held a job AND have no kids nor a mortgage??

21, I know exactly how fast saving up for months can turn into nothing once you get slammed by tuition and books that $8000 you had on hand turns into maybe enough to make it to Christmas. Once kids hit university $1500 a month is about how much it takes to put one or two of them through depending on your location. Money doesn't go nearly as far as people think it does and cutting off income for two months can hit you pretty hard.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 16  Next