PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Get out of my head, Gunnair!!! 8O

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:10 pm

raydan raydan:
jeff744 jeff744:
Not arguing they should get more, but the fact they don't have the option to be paid over 12 months instead of 10 is surprising to me as many teachers acknowledge that would be very useful to them as they can be prone to forget to think far enough ahead when it comes to money and want the 12 months to limit their damage.

Sorry, they're teacher's... they're paid to teach. If they can't teach themselves to put some money away for those 2 months, they have no pity from me. How difficult is it to transfer part of your pay to a different account, one that you won't touch until summer?

The problem is that there are a lot of reason they may not be able to properly predict how much they will need, it is not hard to offer a choice between being paid 10 months or 12 month, the only difference being the amount you receive with each cheque.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:13 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
raydan raydan:
jeff744 jeff744:
Not arguing they should get more, but the fact they don't have the option to be paid over 12 months instead of 10 is surprising to me as many teachers acknowledge that would be very useful to them as they can be prone to forget to think far enough ahead when it comes to money and want the 12 months to limit their damage.

Sorry, they're teacher's... they're paid to teach. If they can't teach themselves to put some money away for those 2 months, they have no pity from me. How difficult is it to transfer part of your pay to a different account, one that you won't touch until summer?

The problem is that there are a lot of reason they may not be able to properly predict how much they will need, it is not hard to offer a choice between being paid 10 months or 12 month, the only difference being the amount you receive with each cheque.

What you miss, is that they want to be paid not that 80k/yr in 12 terms, but 80k:the 10 months they teach now, times 12=$96k for the same job.
Do you mind that I object?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:15 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
Brenda Brenda:
jeff744 jeff744:
Closer to 7K actually, and that is before taxes, then you have mortgage, car payments, bills, probably children to feed and possibly get to sports, food, etc. It looks easy on paper but there can be a lot of circumstances that keep them from being able to save up enough money to survive any problems.

EVERYONE has that, even the mechanic. Who has to save up for sick days, (because every hour you do not work, you do not get paid. when the boss planned work wrongly, you get sent home because there is nothing to do, so you do not get paid) who has a mortgage to pay, kids to send to day care.

How old ore you, 17, never held a job AND have no kids nor a mortgage??

21, I know exactly how fast saving up for months can turn into nothing once you get slammed by tuition and books that $8000 you had on hand turns into maybe enough to make it to Christmas. Once kids hit university $1500 a month is about how much it takes to put one or two of them through depending on your location. Money doesn't go nearly as far as people think it does and cutting off income for two months can hit you pretty hard.

What the hell are you on about? These guys get paid $70,000 per year, but because they only make it over ten months and not twelve, they're somehow screwed over or deserving of a bunch of pity when they can't follow a budget?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Brenda Brenda:
What you miss, is that they want to be paid not that 80k/yr in 12 terms, but 80k:the 10 months they teach now, times 12=$96k for the same job.

When did anyone propose to them the 80K over 12 months?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:18 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
Brenda Brenda:
jeff744 jeff744:
Closer to 7K actually, and that is before taxes, then you have mortgage, car payments, bills, probably children to feed and possibly get to sports, food, etc. It looks easy on paper but there can be a lot of circumstances that keep them from being able to save up enough money to survive any problems.

EVERYONE has that, even the mechanic. Who has to save up for sick days, (because every hour you do not work, you do not get paid. when the boss planned work wrongly, you get sent home because there is nothing to do, so you do not get paid) who has a mortgage to pay, kids to send to day care.

How old ore you, 17, never held a job AND have no kids nor a mortgage??

21, I know exactly how fast saving up for months can turn into nothing once you get slammed by tuition and books that $8000 you had on hand turns into maybe enough to make it to Christmas. Once kids hit university $1500 a month is about how much it takes to put one or two of them through depending on your location. Money doesn't go nearly as far as people think it does and cutting off income for two months can hit you pretty hard.
How do you think the mechanic making $55k/yr is doing it? The administrative assistant that makes $35k/yr?
They have the same costs, the same kids that gotta study, the same washing machine that breaks down. They also have the "no work, no pay" hanging above their heads.

The difference, besides the amount they get paid, is that they do not get paid by the tax payer. As a tax payer, I want to have a say in where my money goes. I also have a choice to decide which service I buy. If I don't like the mechanic, I will not pay $100/hr for his service. That, btw, he gets about 1/3 to 1/4 of for the work he is doing.

Last edited by Brenda on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
What the hell are you on about? These guys get paid $70,000 per year, but because they only make it over ten months and not twelve, they're somehow screwed over or deserving of a bunch of pity when they can't follow a budget?

It requires little to no work to change a system to offer 12 months, budgets are good when you look at them the idea, then when you actually see the money in a lump sum there is a whole new idea about them. Everyone makes mistakes on the calculation of how much they will actually need and how much they can spend on themselves from time to time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:19 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
Brenda Brenda:

When did anyone propose to them the 80K over 12 months?

So they cannot save up themselves, but when some bookkeeper does it for them, it will be ok??

You have no clue what this is all about, do you.
But hey, it is ALL in the best interest of the children. Yeah, right.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:21 pm

It's actually to the teachers' benefit to be paid over 10 months. It was switched to a 12-month pay schedule in Ontario about 6 or 7 years ago. Before, teachers got a large lump sum payment on the last day of June. Now their pay is spread over the whole year, which essentially means the teachers are giving the Boards an interest free loan over the summer months.

Last edited by Lemmy on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
It's actually to the teachers' benefit to be paid over 10 months. It was switched to a 12-month pay schedule in Ontario about 6 or 7 years ago. Before, teachers got a large lump sum payment on the last day of June. Now their pay is spread over the whole year, which essentially means the teachers are giving the Boards an interest free loan over the summer months.

As long as they actually get their money in the end then there is not a problem, if the board decided to invest it and lost it then there is a bigger issue going on than than not being paid. I would much rather know how much I get with each cheque so I am not preparing for summer all year, one less worry and opportunity to royally screw yourself over.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:36 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
Lemmy Lemmy:

As long as they actually get their money in the end then there is not a problem, if the board decided to invest it and lost it then there is a bigger issue going on than than not being paid. I would much rather know how much I get with each cheque so I am not preparing for summer all year, one less worry and opportunity to royally screw yourself over.

Now you claim the teachers are on strike in BC because they are not getting paid??

You make some nice twists. First it was because they get paid in 10 months (and are OFF for 2 months, instead of 10, 15 days a year)...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:37 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
Gunnair Gunnair:

It requires little to no work to change a system to offer 12 months, budgets are good when you look at them the idea, then when you actually see the money in a lump sum there is a whole new idea about them. Everyone makes mistakes on the calculation of how much they will actually need and how much they can spend on themselves from time to time.

Respectfully Jeff, you don't have the actual life experience to talk about budgeting on a scale that a teacher would have, perhaps one with a family, mortgage, etc.

You know how much you will need on a month to month basis for your essentials. Every family has unexpected expenses but if you're responsible, you can weather the storm quite easily.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Are people actually bitching because teachers don't make money when they don't work?

Fuck me, that's retarded.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Teachers should be well paid, they do an important job. They're decently paid and right how are tough times, so they should shut the fuck up and just go back to work. If things every improve they can make their case for a good raise then. To set an example tho, the politicians should be cutting their pay and especially their golden pensions - lead by example. Right now the pols are just trying to ape the 1 percenters - lots for me and fuck the rest.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Are people actually bitching because teachers don't make money when they don't work? Fuck me, that's retarded.

I don't think you understand the job of being a teacher very well. It's not a job you measure in hours or with a time clock.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 ... 16  Next