CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Tricks Tricks:
Are people actually bitching because teachers don't make money when they don't work? Fuck me, that's retarded.

I don't think you understand the job of being a teacher very well. It's not a job you measure in hours or with a time clock.

There's a lot of jobs like that. I'm salary with no overtime either. Point?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:19 pm

My job too. The point is that there isn't really any time when teachers "don't work". You pay a teacher for their experience and that is being built even when they're sitting on a beach in July.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:26 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
My job too. The point is that there isn't really any time when teachers "don't work". You pay a teacher for their experience and that is being built even when they're sitting on a beach in July.

Most of the churn in this thread is spun up by Jeff who wants these guys to have a 12 month salary vice 10 month because they apparently can't plan for that two months.

Experience wasn't in the argument.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Dividing a salary into 10 parts or 12 is still the same amount, so I don't understand what Jeff was on about either.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Dividing a salary into 10 parts or 12 is still the same amount, so I don't understand what Jeff was on about either.

Alright then. Time for...

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:38 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:

I was arguing that having an option for 12 instead of 10 was something they should be able to have, I even stated they would not be paid more, it would just be more spread out. It just means less work on the side of the teacher because they don't have to factor in the monthly savings to make it through summer, instead they can go with it like business as usual.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:38 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Tricks Tricks:
Are people actually bitching because teachers don't make money when they don't work? Fuck me, that's retarded.

I don't think you understand the job of being a teacher very well. It's not a job you measure in hours or with a time clock.

I don't think you understand the job of being a cop/firefighter/nurse very well. It's not a job you measure in hours or with a time clock.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:44 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
I was arguing that having an option for 12 instead of 10 was something they should be able to have, I even stated they would not be paid more, it would just be more spread out. It just means less work on the side of the teacher because they don't have to factor in the monthly savings to make it through summer, instead they can go with it like business as usual.

And, like I said, it's a benefit to get your money in a lump sum. It gives you both better investment opportunities and lowers your need to borrow for larger purchases. I'd rather take my entire salary on the first of January and have the power of that lump sum. I'm sure 99/100 teachers would take the lump some on Day One over having it spread equally over the year.

Tricks Tricks:
Lemmy Lemmy:
Tricks Tricks:

I don't think you understand the job of being a cop/firefighter/nurse very well. It's not a job you measure in hours or with a time clock.

:D My research includes all public sector employees, including cops, firefighters and nurses. And I agree, their jobs are also ones that aren't well measured by a clock.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
:D My research includes all public sector employees, including cops, firefighters and nurses. And I agree, their jobs are also ones that aren't well measured by a clock.

That's why I say to do it as an option, not mandatory.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:54 pm

People plan their retirement 40 years in advance, I don't see why you can't plan 10 months in advance. It's not that hard, Jeff... certainly not something you should strike for.

You = Teachers

Last edited by raydan on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:07 pm

I've met real-estate brokers who specialize in high-end houses, apartment or commercial buildings. Some may sell 3 or 4 of them in a year which still adds up to a sizable revenue. But you have to understand that they may go months without a sale... with no money coming in. My job at that time was getting them to plan for, not only the lean months, but also the lean years.

Compared to them, teachers would be a piece of cake.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:

The difference being the three I listed by law can't go on strike. Something Teachers seem to abuse.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Tricks Tricks:
The difference being the three I listed by law can't go on strike. Something Teachers seem to abuse.

Abuse? When was the last time there was a teachers' strike in Canada?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:09 pm

again that is not the case for all teachers...binding arbitration and all. Some divisions go for years without a contract. My wife and I worked for Frontier and they went a looooong time without a contract. However, one good thing about them was they divided the pay to cover the year and paid every two weeks.

During the summer we still had to mow the grass in the schoolyard, shampoo the carpets, clean, paint and do general maintenance around the school and the schoolyard(including playground equipment, order in supplies for the next school year(the gov't supplied everything down to pencils, notebooks and erasers), inventory, ship out materials that needed repairs or replacing. We'd also take turns doing half days in the office answering the phones. None of the locals would do any of this and when you finally could hired one, general incompetence usually meant you had to take over the job and do it. During the year we also doubled as a shelter for kids hiding from drunk and abusive parents.....again our dogs doubled as security.

If we wanted to leave, you also had to pay out of your own pocket(except for the flight in and out once a year)...$400 return to Winnipeg, or $250 to Thompson. The division only paid for flights related to school business, not for dental or medical appointments. We both made around $70 K a year(including NA) but we earned it. The Northern Store was over priced and questionable in their quality(green and grey meat that was restamped several times) and again we had to pay airfare on groceries or personal shipments we had shipped in. Occasionally we had stuff shipped in for free on the the RCMP flights and Air Ambulance...they brought in the doctor once a week and transported the supplies and nurses for the nursing station. The Lodge owners also flew in stuff if they had room.

$1:
teachers would be a piece of cake.

I know quite a few people who left teaching and went into real estate.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Tricks Tricks:

Abuse? When was the last time there was a teachers' strike in Canada?

There were strikes in public schools a few years ago in Quebec. But... it's Quebec. We are like France, always on strike :P There were 4 strikes just last week on different public services. Ahh vive la France !

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 16  Next