canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:22 pm

The closest that teachers came to striking was last year in Saskatchewan. Even then it was rotating parts of a day off....more akin to Blue Flu.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:27 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
I know quite a few people who left teaching and went into real estate.

I'd NEVER go into real estate for the simple reason that I hate sales. When I worked in banking, I was very good at giving advice, terrible at selling.

Also, I've actually liked very few real-estate agents that I've met. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:34 pm

Proculation Proculation:
There were strikes in public schools a few years ago in Quebec. But... it's Quebec. We are like France, always on strike :P There were 4 strikes just last week on different public services. Ahh vive la France !

The 2005 teachers' strikes in Quebec were rotating one day strikes. They caused less disruption on the education system than snowstorms did that year. Teachers are a tightfisted demographic. :P Tight-fisted people don't like to strike because strikes are never profitable for the worker. Labour disputes in education rarely come to much more than the threat of a strike. Striking certainly isn't an "abused" tactic, as Tricks would have you believe.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:39 pm

I met the guy who helped us with our house I'd known since we were 11. Met him at Bible Camp when I was spending summer vaction with my grandmother . His parents owned a real estate firm and that's how he got into it. At the time he helped us, he'd been out of sales for awhile and was doing appraisals. I remember sitting in the pub with him one afternoon and some drunk got real belligerent with us because he'd done an appraisal of his home. It was being sold due to a divorce

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Come on Shep... Only teachers have to put up with fucked up "customers"...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Tricks Tricks:
The difference being the three I listed by law can't go on strike. Something Teachers seem to abuse.

Abuse? When was the last time there was a teachers' strike in Canada?

2011, Saskatchewan.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:45 pm

When did teachers in Saskatchewan last strike before 2011? Never.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:13 pm

As I had already mentioned, it was more work action and there were only a few days some of the teachers were taking part in a rotating walk out.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:35 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Labour disputes in education rarely come to much more than the threat of a strike.

That's still abuse of it.

$1:
First, the province has had plenty of them -- at least 101 between 1975 and 2005.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... le2036949/

Yes I also realise the point of the article is to say it isn't a big deal, but it illustrates my point that striking is abused in Canada. 100 teacher strikes in Ontario alone over 30 years is fucked up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:43 am

Lemmy Lemmy:

So? I also live in Ontario where it is abused regularly, see above. Teaching should be made an essential service just like the others I mentioned. Work to rule? Fine, I've gone through that, it's not that big of a deal.

I already don't think they should make the same as the other essential services listed above when they get a nice two month vacation, but that shit is never going to change.

So either they accept they aren't as important as those other services (and make that a part of an agreement, I'd love to hear a teacher's union say that) or take away their striking. One or the other. Acceptance of unimportance, or living by the same rules as those that so many teachers think they are above (like my relatives).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:36 am

Tricks Tricks:
Lemmy Lemmy:

So? I also live in Ontario where it is abused regularly, see above. Teaching should be made an essential service just like the others I mentioned. Work to rule? Fine, I've gone through that, it's not that big of a deal.

Regularly? The last teacher strike in Ontario was in 1997 and it was 2 weeks. Actually, it wasn't even a strike so much as a political protest. The last before that was a decade earlier and only involved some boards. Your use of the words "abuse" and "regularly" are incorrect.

Tricks Tricks:
I already don't think they should make the same as the other essential services listed above when they get a nice two month vacation, but that shit is never going to change. So either they accept they aren't as important as those other services (and make that a part of an agreement, I'd love to hear a teacher's union say that) or take away their striking. One or the other. Acceptance of unimportance, or living by the same rules as those that so many teachers think they are above (like my relatives).

Ahh, so you have a hard-on for teachers. Didn't like your teachers back in highschool, eh? That's fine. Believe what you like, but from an objective perspective, you're talking out your ass.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:26 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Regularly? The last teacher strike in Ontario was in 1997 and it was 2 weeks. Actually, it wasn't even a strike so much as a political protest. The last before that was a decade earlier and only involved some boards. Your use of the words "abuse" and "regularly" are incorrect.

Ahh, so you have a hard-on for teachers. Didn't like your teachers back in highschool, eh? That's fine. Believe what you like, but from an objective perspective, you're talking out your ass.

I suffered through a couple strikes during my schooling. I suffered through the strikes during the Rae days and the illegal strike during the Harris era.

Add to that the various strikes at college and universities.

Guys like Tricks don't have a hard-on for teachers, they just don't appreciate being used as a pawn so teachers can pad their wallets in the guise of "doing it all for the kids"

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:58 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Guys like Tricks don't have a hard-on for teachers, they just don't appreciate being used as a pawn so teachers can pad their wallets in the guise of "doing it all for the kids"

That's the bargaining power, isn't it? "That's just the way she goes, Ricky, fucking way she goes." You can't change the reality of the situation. But none of the Ontario strikes over the past 30 years had anything to do with wallet padding. Teachers in Ontario haven't had a raise above the cost of living in 30 years. Any wallet padding was enjoyed by teachers long retired.

But just for perspective, what do you think a teacher SHOULD be paid? What number would you view as fair? We agree that they deserve to be paid, right? What do you think the average salary is among Ontario teachers?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:37 am

jeff744 jeff744:
Considering the fact that BC is several times more expensive to live in than Saskatchewan, how is it right that they make almost the exact same?

Then the BC teachers should move to Sask, shouldn't they?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
jeff744 jeff744:
Considering the fact that BC is several times more expensive to live in than Saskatchewan, how is it right that they make almost the exact same?

Then the BC teachers should move to Sask, shouldn't they?

I don't follow your logic. CEOs are always arguing that company B pays theirs more so they need a top up, why shouldn't that apply to teachers?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 ... 16  Next