Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:57 pm

I don't think teachers are in the same league as first responders, nurses etc.
Teachers do not really save lives or deal with the trauma that comes with that on a daily basis. They deal with pissed parents, sometimes. boo fucking hoo.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:57 pm

But the same what? What level? I think those professions you mention all make a decent wage, and the teachers, AFAIK, are at the bottom, at least in BC. None have much to bitch about in these tight times compared to the private sector. Don't forget the fat pensions they get compared to private, of which govt pays half.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Teachers do not really save lives or deal with the trauma that comes with that on a daily basis. They deal with pissed parents, sometimes. boo fucking hoo.

Which is why I don't think they should make as much, but I also have to be realistic.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:07 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Private sector pays based on how many students there are, and because it's private sector, there are considerably less students, so that doesn't work either. Instead, I think you look at other professions in the same income bracket, i.e. Cops, Nurses, and Firefighters. Pay them all the same. I still think teachers should make less than those three, but I'd be able to accept equal across the board. Infact, I'd probably say Nurses should be moved up but that's just me.

What? Cops and Firefighters don't need to spend 5 or 6 years getting 2 post-secondary degrees. Anybody who's ever had a shitty crab-apple teacher coasting by on the minimum knows how important it is to have motivated, qualified people in the position (BTW - I had several crap teachers and I went to expensive private schools so thats no safeguard either).

Think about it this way - a teacher is someone whos spends more time with your kid than you do...so just how low-paid of a person do you want doing this job?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:09 pm

andyt andyt:
But the same what? What level? I think those professions you mention all make a decent wage, and the teachers, AFAIK, are at the bottom, at least in BC. None have much to bitch about in these tight times compared to the private sector. Don't forget the fat pensions they get compared to private, of which govt pays half.

Seems you're right. Questionable source, but nonetheless.

http://langleylec.blogspot.com/2011/04/ ... ecord.html

I'd also draw attention to the fact that they think they should be paid the same. Now lets do some math.

Teacher after 10 years: $74,353
Cop after 10: 83,040
20: $90,948
Firefighter after 4: 4 years it's $76,452
Nurse 8 years: $91,610

Doing some math puts the teacher at 10-11% lower than cop for 10, 18-19% for 20.
Less than 3 % lower for firefighters
And about 19% for Nurses.

However, teachers receive 2 months vacation in the summer. That's almost 17% less work. Suddenly the numbers make a bit more sense, with the exception of firefighters. I'm shocked they don't make more.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Brenda Brenda:

Teachers do, however, get to deal with the children of f@$)(&!ed up parents. Boo boo!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Tricks Tricks:
Private sector pays based on how many students there are, and because it's private sector, there are considerably less students, so that doesn't work either. Instead, I think you look at other professions in the same income bracket, i.e. Cops, Nurses, and Firefighters. Pay them all the same. I still think teachers should make less than those three, but I'd be able to accept equal across the board. Infact, I'd probably say Nurses should be moved up but that's just me.

What? Cops and Firefighters don't need to spend 5 or 6 years getting 2 post-secondary degrees. Anybody who's ever had a shitty crab-apple teacher coasting by on the minimum knows how important it is to have motivated, qualified people in the position (BTW - I had several crap teachers and I went to expensive private schools so thats no safeguard either).

Think about it this way - a teacher is someone whos spends more time with your kid than you do...so just how low-paid of a person do you want doing this job?

Excuse me, Mr. Bullshitter.
The teacher spends time from 8:20 till 2:15 with my child, excluding breaks, and excluding 10 weeks of summer break, 2 weeks of Christmas break and 2 weeks of Spring break, aside from the bank holidays and Pro-D-days.
I get paid 0. So really??

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:13 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
Brenda Brenda:

Teachers do, however, get to deal with the children of f@$)(&!ed up parents. Boo boo!

They knew that when they chose to be teachers. Or wait, no, of course, they became teachers because they wanted to "teach the children", because it is "ALL for the children", right?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:19 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Tricks Tricks:

Actually you can do it in a minimum of 4, with a realistic max of six. And why would they need two post secondary degrees? Teachers college is also a joke, since I've lived with people going through it. Cops have to spend a minimum of 2 years in Police foundations, but most police forces seem to prefer a degree, so that's now 3-5 years. Not to mention the half year you spend training once you get on a force (albeit I'm sure that's paid).

Firefighter, does it require as much in the way of scholarly training? No, but the requirements still aren't easy.
http://www.recruitfirefighter.com/page0003.htm
I'd also like to point out, generally if it says Qualifications cities prefer, you actually need that shit or they will pass over you.

So don't give me this shit becoming a qualified teacher is hard, cause it isn't. What's hard is finding a job. And that's because of all the positives there are about it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Tricks Tricks:
andyt andyt:

I'd also draw attention to the fact that they think they should be paid the same. Now lets do some math.

Doing some math puts the teacher at 10-11% lower than cop for 10, 18-19% for 20.

However, teachers receive 2 months vacation in the summer. That's almost 17% less work. Suddenly the numbers make a bit more sense, with the exception of firefighters. I'm shocked they don't make more.

Teachers are the only ones who don't get overtime or time off in lieu. They spend a significant portion of the summer in upgrading. I bet if evens out.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:20 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
Brenda Brenda:

And parents get to deal with fucked up teachers. Your point?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:23 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Tricks Tricks:

Teachers don't risk their lives or save lives on a daily basis.

A university education doesn't mean you'll be any more or less motivated. Either you're a good teacher, or your not....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:25 pm

andyt andyt:
Tricks Tricks:
andyt andyt:

Teachers are the only ones who don't get overtime or time off in lieu. They spend a significant portion of the summer in upgrading. I bet if evens out.

Overtime for what? Volunteering? Doing work at home? The 17% less also was just the summer. Doesn't include christmas holidays, or spring break.

What about the time cops, nurses, and firefighters have to spend training? Especially nurses, they have to take courses to make sure they're up to date on the most current treatments.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:29 pm

$1:
The teacher spends time from 8:20 till 2:15 with my child, excluding including breaks, except for the 14 weeks of the year where I cant wait for the little buggers to go back to school, aside from the bank holidays [If I cant have them nobody should] and Pro-D-days[where the teachers are in class all day learning how to teach and care for my kids.] I get paid 0 [because they're my kids and not by professional occupation].

I've returned you writing assignment to you, with the necessary corrections.

C-

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Tricks Tricks:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Tricks Tricks:

Actually you can do it in a minimum of 4, with a realistic max of six. And why would they need two post secondary degrees? Teachers college is also a joke, since I've lived with people going through it. Cops have to spend a minimum of 2 years in Police foundations, but most police forces seem to prefer a degree, so that's now 3-5 years. Not to mention the half year you spend training once you get on a force (albeit I'm sure that's paid).

Firefighter, does it require as much in the way of scholarly training? No, but the requirements still aren't easy.
http://www.recruitfirefighter.com/page0003.htm
I'd also like to point out, generally if it says Qualifications cities prefer, you actually need that shit or they will pass over you.

So don't give me this shit becoming a qualified teacher is hard, cause it isn't. What's hard is finding a job. And that's because of all the positives there are about it.

Sorry, but police foundations is a useless course unless you want to be a security guard.

Any college or university education is a great starting point for Cops, but police foundations isn't a must....in fact most officers I know make fun of the guys that come out of the program.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10 ... 16  Next