Posted By: Strutz
Date: 2017-05-07 22:55:21
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:02 pm

I voted early this time just because it was convenient to do so. I think this was the first time I voted ahead of election day. Absolutely no wait at all. While I was there I saw one other person voting.

The following article has an interesting graph for turnouts in Provincial elections since 1988.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/it-didn-t-used-to-be-that-way-why-voter-turnout-is-so-low-in-b-c-and-may-be-worse-this-week-1.4100476

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:48 am

Maybe it's time to give the Greens a shot. Last time I voted in BC was as a SoCred. Then there was that entire Grace McCarthy debacle where they tried parachuting her into Matsqui/Sumas/Clearbrook/ Abbotsford.....couldn't be a Vanderzombie any more if Wimpy was gone.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:02 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Maybe it's time to give the Greens a shot. Last time I voted in BC was as a SoCred. Then there was that entire Grace McCarthy debacle where they tried parachuting her into Matsqui/Sumas/Clearbrook/ Abbotsford.....couldn't be a Vanderzombie any more if Wimpy was gone.

In BC it wouldn't matter. They have by far the most corrupt bunch of corrupt politicians
in the country. They take graft to a new level.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:12 am

I think the Quebecers still have them beat when it comes to corruption.

I can hear them proudly cheering.....Nous sommes le premier! :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:37 am

fuck this

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:17 am

Hopefully the turnout trend continues to Election Day. Last time the turnout was abysmal low. 48% IIRC.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:06 am

They extended the number of days and hours of advance voting this time. I voted already too, was the only one in the voting station, one car pulled up as I left.
It was convenient and an economic benefit. The building got rented for six days, unlike the rest of the block that's boarded up after 16 years of Liberal's jobs jobs jobs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:43 am

herbie herbie:
They extended the number of days and hours of advance voting this time. I voted already too, was the only one in the voting station, one car pulled up as I left.
It was convenient and an economic benefit. The building got rented for six days, unlike the rest of the block that's boarded up after 16 years of Liberal's jobs jobs jobs.

I don't know where you guys live but the wife and had to stand in line for half an hour to vote and during that time the line behind me grew to around 75 people. But, one of the major problems was the scrutineers who couldn't organize a one man rush on a two man shitter.

One of them was forcing people to show ID when they came in the door despite everyone I saw having a voter card a rule which slowed the process right off the hop then, when you got to the head of the line you had to show your ID and Voter card again before you could vote. For some bizarre reason and despite the extremely large size of the legion hall they had set up the polling stations across from one another with the people having to line up in the middle which, I suspect was done so they had an excuse to keep pushing people away from one side or the other just so they had something to do and could exercise their Cartman like "authoriteh"

Maybe it's time for scrutineers or whoever is in charge of their gong show to take a course in organization along with election rules because it'd make voting alot quicker and easier.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Nechako Lakes riding - you could sell your house down south and buy a home, a business and have enough left for your own island. In 30 years I've never spent more than 10 minutes voting or seen more than 20 people in THE polling place.... :D
That's if you can handle "rush minutes", 4 way stops instead of traffic lights and two people ahead of you grocery shopping Friday nights.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:45 pm

herbie herbie:
Nechako Lakes riding - you could sell your house down south and buy a home, a business and have enough left for your own island. In 30 years I've never spent more than 10 minutes voting or seen more than 20 people in THE polling place.... :D
That's if you can handle "rush minutes", 4 way stops instead of traffic lights and two people ahead of you grocery shopping Friday nights.

Sounds great but before I'd even consider moving I'd have to know how the medical is up there? Closest hospital etc. Being old has it's drawbacks. LOL

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Seriously - it got bad, many older people left because a few years ago they let medical go to shit. Tried to close the hospital and reduce the ambulance staff, the clinic down to one doctor. Way better now, that doctor really really wanted to retire and the town got behind him and recruited a bunch of new ones. Got the hospital guaranteed and ambulance staff fixed.
I know a few people have moved back. Friends, even though they must now pay MSP say it's cheaper to live here than in Alberta. They're retired so they're like me just need a little work for some spare money and to keep busy.