CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27655
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:15 am
 


Title: Bank of Canada estimates 60,000 fewer jobs due to minimum wage increases | CTV News
Category: Economics
Posted By: uwish
Date: 2018-01-03 09:14:26
Canadian


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4289
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:15 am
 


https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/bank-of ... -1.3743793


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1412
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:37 pm
 


Too much, too soon.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1511
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:16 pm
 


Yeah way too fast. Saw this earlier I’m sure that more stories like this will be in the papers soon. And I really doubt that people with time in and a title will be getting a raise. Why bother being lead hand with a the headaches if you’re now making minimum or will be next year.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/ti ... -1.4470215


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28133
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:42 pm
 


Coach85 wrote:
Too much, too soon.


There are people working 60 hour weeks who can't afford rent, or are functionally homeless. That is just wrong.

Too little, too late. We never should have gotten to this place.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 42402
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:56 pm
 


If you're homeless or unemployed, Justin will send you a photo to make everything all better.....or he'll get Sophie to sing a song. #sunnyways


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1412
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:32 pm
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Coach85 wrote:
Too much, too soon.


There are people working 60 hour weeks who can't afford rent, or are functionally homeless. That is just wrong.

Too little, too late. We never should have gotten to this place.


Wrong?

If that's the case, what do you say to 60,000 of those functionally homeless people now without a job?

Poverty isn't going away.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 25576
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 pm
 


That we got to this place was inevitable. And probably intentional too.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28133
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:57 pm
 


Thanos wrote:
That we got to this place was inevitable. And probably intentional too.


^^

Even Henry Ford knew he had to produce a product his employees could afford, or there would be no market. Business just offloads the cost of low wages onto governments, ie: the taxpayers. My pocketbook. I don't mind paying for service I use, but I dislike paying for the functionally homeless while the companies they work for pay CEOs 300 times what they earn.

Coach85 wrote:
If that's the case, what do you say to 60,000 of those functionally homeless people now without a job?

Poverty isn't going away.


There are other jobs. But the CEOs still get their bonus while 60,000 people shiver.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 26908
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:05 pm
 


But, but, but... shouldn't the trickle down effect keep these people warm? 8O


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 25576
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:10 pm
 


raydan wrote:
But, but, but... shouldn't the trickle down effect keep these people warm? 8O


The rising tide didn't lift all the boats as was promised. The luxury yachts today are merely skimming across the floating bodies of all those the tide indifferently drowned.

DrCaleb wrote:
Thanos wrote:
That we got to this place was inevitable. And probably intentional too.


^^
Even Henry Ford knew he had to produce a product his employees could afford, or there would be no market. Business just offloads the cost of low wages onto governments, ie: the taxpayers. My pocketbook. I don't mind paying for service I use, but I dislike paying for the functionally homeless while the companies they work for pay CEOs 300 times what they earn.


There's really no grand conspiracy to be had in any of this, before the capitalist lap-dog contingent jumps in and accuses me of such. At it's most basic it's probably just a case of those with the very most got highly offended at the middle class encroaching on their political power, not to mention the general attitude of "how DARE a (insert shlub career description here) have a paid-off house and send their kids to college?!?". It's the human race at it's most imploded worst, that those who blow the equivalent of a "lesser" person's yearly salary in cocaine or at the nightclub somehow managed to get all jealous of the peons simply for having anything at all.

We're going backwards at an increasing speed. This is not going to end well at all for the vast majority of the people in this society. :|


Last edited by Thanos on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1412
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:11 pm
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Coach85 wrote:
If that's the case, what do you say to 60,000 of those functionally homeless people now without a job?

Poverty isn't going away.


There are other jobs. But the CEOs still get their bonus while 60,000 people shiver.


Right. 60,000 people out of entry-level jobs are suddenly going to find other entry-level jobs?

Let's cut the rhetoric about CEO's and bonuses. Employees of all stripes and all industries get bonuses, not just the guys at the top. Like CEO's, employees have bonuses written in as part of their contract.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 25576
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm
 


Then again.......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tim-hor ... -1.4470215

Quote:
Employees at an Ontario Tim Hortons owned by the children of the chain's founders say they have been told to sign a document acknowledging they are losing paid breaks, paid benefits, and other incentives as a result of the province's minimum wage hike.

"I feel that we are getting the raw end of the stick," said one front line employee who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of losing their job.

The franchise is located in Cobourg, Ont., about 115 kilometres east of Toronto. The owners are Ron Joyce Jr. and Jeri-Lynn Horton-Joyce, the son and daughter of the chain's co-founders, Ron Joyce, and the late Tim Horton. Employees say they are married.

"Breaks will no longer be paid. A 9 hour shift will be paid for 8 hours and 20 minutes."

"These changes are due to the increase of wages to $14.00 minimum wage on January 1, 2018, then $15.00 per hour on January 1, 2019, as well as the lack of assistance and financial help from our Head Office and from the Government."

The letter is signed "Sincerely, Jeri, Ron and Lisa."

Besides losing paid breaks, the document states workers with more than five years of service will have to pay 50 per cent of the cost of benefits, and employees with between six months and five years service will have to pay 75 per cent.

An employee with more than five years service told CBC News that prior to this, their benefits were covered 100 per cent by the company.

"That was a big benefit for the people who work at Tim Hortons, because it's not a great paying job," said the employee, who said they were making $13 an hour prior to the minimum wage hike.

"The benefits are what kept me there. Now you are going to make me pay that.

"I don't understand why you can take it away. Sounds like you are penalizing your staff because the government is trying to help your staff," they said.

Employees are also losing incentives for working on their birthday and for working six months without taking a sick day.

Employees say the owners of the franchises are at their winter home in Florida.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1412
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:19 pm
 


Thanos wrote:
Then again.......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tim-hor ... -1.4470215

Quote:
Employees at an Ontario Tim Hortons owned by the children of the chain's founders say they have been told to sign a document acknowledging they are losing paid breaks, paid benefits, and other incentives as a result of the province's minimum wage hike.

"I feel that we are getting the raw end of the stick," said one front line employee who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of losing their job.

The franchise is located in Cobourg, Ont., about 115 kilometres east of Toronto. The owners are Ron Joyce Jr. and Jeri-Lynn Horton-Joyce, the son and daughter of the chain's co-founders, Ron Joyce, and the late Tim Horton. Employees say they are married.

"Breaks will no longer be paid. A 9 hour shift will be paid for 8 hours and 20 minutes."

"These changes are due to the increase of wages to $14.00 minimum wage on January 1, 2018, then $15.00 per hour on January 1, 2019, as well as the lack of assistance and financial help from our Head Office and from the Government."

The letter is signed "Sincerely, Jeri, Ron and Lisa."

Besides losing paid breaks, the document states workers with more than five years of service will have to pay 50 per cent of the cost of benefits, and employees with between six months and five years service will have to pay 75 per cent.

An employee with more than five years service told CBC News that prior to this, their benefits were covered 100 per cent by the company.

"That was a big benefit for the people who work at Tim Hortons, because it's not a great paying job," said the employee, who said they were making $13 an hour prior to the minimum wage hike.

"The benefits are what kept me there. Now you are going to make me pay that.

"I don't understand why you can take it away. Sounds like you are penalizing your staff because the government is trying to help your staff," they said.

Employees are also losing incentives for working on their birthday and for working six months without taking a sick day.

Employees say the owners of the franchises are at their winter home in Florida.


And?

How about you save up, borrow and spend 1.5 million to open your own franchise and then have people tell you how much money you should make.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28133
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:22 pm
 


Coach85 wrote:
How about you save up, borrow and spend 1.5 million to open your own franchise and then have people tell you how much money you should make.


Isn't that exactly what you are telling the people that work there? That they should be happy they have a job, and don't complain when they have to work 2 or 3 jobs to pay rent?


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  1  2  3  4  5 ... 11  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.