Posted By: martin14
Date: 2015-03-13 00:10:43
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:13 am

$1:
Deepa Mattoo, a staff lawyer at the clinic, told the Senate human rights committee in December that Canada shouldn't be looking at criminalization yet for forced marriage because it hasn't properly defined the problem or started educating people about it.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Quick, andy, get your Bountiful folder ready !
Because this has nothing to do with Islam.

$1:
Government officials have referred to a report by the South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario that said it was aware of 219 cases of forced marriage originating in Ontario and Quebec between 2010 and 2013. But the organization last fall said the "barbaric cultural practices" bill shows the Conservatives aren't listening.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:00 am

Most seems to be about Forced marriage and child marriage, which are already illegal so not sure what the point is naming them here other than making this bill Into jucier fodder for the public.

I have no problem conceptually with making the marriage age 16, it already is in most provinces (the few that do allow marriage under 16 require special permission from a judge and parents). But since it's a provincial matter I wonder how the Feds would claim jurisdiction here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:27 am

I would make it 18 or whenever the province deems adulthood to have started.

But to make Martin happy - sure we ignore Bountiful for years, but now that it involves Moooslems, well, let's do something right away.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:30 am

andyt andyt:
I would make it 18 or whenever the province deems adulthood to have started.

But to make Martin happy - sure we ignore Bountiful for years, but now that it involves Moooslems, well, let's do something right away.

As I read this it would appear that quite the opposite is in play. The reason why Bountiful hasn't been dealt with affirmatively is because it would be wrong to single out the Mormons for prosecution while Moslems are tacitly permitted to engage in the same practices.

And I can see a decent defense attorney opening with that salvo.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:40 am

It's really just a culture war piece, as I said most of the what they're proposing is already covered under the law.

It seems that currently, to get married without requiring parental consent in Canada, the age is already 18 or 19 in every province, with allowances for marriage as young as 16 with parental consent (or in some cases if the minor is already pregnant or a mother).

In addition, as I mentioned, a handful of provinces will allow you to apply for special permission from the Court for a marriage under 16.

$1:
From Wiki:

Provinces[edit]
In Alberta, anyone 18 or over can get married. A person between the ages of 16 and 17 can get married with the consent of both parents. No one under 16 can get married; this does not apply to a female if a physician's certificate shows she is pregnant or the mother of a living child. There is no requirement for residency.[3]

In British Columbia, anyone 19 or over can get married. A person between the ages of 16 and 18 can get married with the consent of both parents. Under the age of 16, a person needs the consent of the Supreme or County Court. There is no requirement for residency.[4]

In Manitoba both parties must be 18 or over to get married. A person who is 16 or 17 can get married with the consent of both parents. Written consent of a Family Court Judge is required for persons under age 16.[5]

In New Brunswick, anyone 18 or over can get married. A never-married person aged 16 or 17 may marry with parental consent.[6]
In Newfoundland and Labrador both parties must be 19 or over to get married. A never-married person between the ages of 16 and 18 can get married with the consent of both parents.[7]

In Nova Scotia both parties must be 19 or over to get married. A never-married person between the ages of 16 and 18 can get married with the consent of both parents. No one under the age of 16 years can be married without the consent of the Court.[8]

In Ontario, both parties must be 18 or over to obtain a marriage licence. A person who is 16 or 17 can get married with the consent of both parents.[9] In order to get married, the parties need to obtain a marriage licence or to arrange for the banns to be published. There is no requirement for residency.

In Prince Edward Island anyone 18 or over can get married. A person aged 16 or 17 can get married with parental or court consent. A female under 16 can get married if a physician's certificate shows she is pregnant or the mother of a living child. [10]

In Quebec, the legal age for marriage is 16, but unemancipated minors (ages 16 or 17) require parental permission to marry.[11] Marriage is governed by the Civil Code of Quebec.

In Saskatchewan both parties must be 18 or over to get married. A person aged 16 or 17 can get married with parental or court consent. A person under the age of 16 needs the consent of a Provincial Court judge to marry. [12]

Territories[edit]

In Yukon anyone 19 or over can get married. A person aged 16 to 18 can marry with parental or a Supreme Court Order. [13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_i ... #Provinces

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:56 am

In BC we ignored the child brides of Bountiful for decades (long before anybody even talked about the Moooslims). Also we had father send an kettle bomb to his daughter and her husband, another stab his daughter to death and a mother and uncle hire a hit man in the home country to kill the daughter and her new husband. But these were Sikhs, so who cares right. As long as they aren't Mooooooooslems, it's all good. Just be afraid of the Moooooooslems.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:00 am

No no, the Sikhs were the Mooooslems of the 90s remember Sikh histeria?

All theye righties have done is dust off the old "religion of terror" speeches from back then and insert "Moooslem" where it used to say "Sikh." Even today they still get confused and target Sikhs from time to time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:13 am

I was probably a Sikh hysteric, still am, I guess. In the sense that the govt never took Sikh terrorism seriously, which is why we had all the not guilty verdicts in the Air India case, and we have our premiers participating in Visakhi parades that feature floats with tributes to the "martyrs." The Khalistani movement is stronger in BC than it is in India, because it's tolerated here.

So I see two poles. Sikhs - meh. Moooslems Omg. Admittedly the anti-Muslim hysteria is mostly in Ottawa and on CKA. less so here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:38 am

andyt andyt:
In BC we ignored the child brides of Bountiful for decades (long before anybody even talked about the Moooslims). Also we had father send an kettle bomb to his daughter and her husband, another stab his daughter to death and a mother and uncle hire a hit man in the home country to kill the daughter and her new husband. But these were Sikhs, so who cares right. As long as they aren't Mooooooooslems, it's all good. Just be afraid of the Moooooooslems.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the sudden increase in honour killings and cultural/religious garbage that has increased in Canada over the last decade.
As for your "shot" about the Sikhs and who cares what they have done, what a load of fucking crap. Those that the law was able to reach out and touch have been prosecuted and convicted. What fucking more do you want?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:53 am

For them to have done their job in the initial investigation. Sounds like you don't know much about that at all. When CSIS agents follow a guy, can't see what he's doing, hear a loud bang and assume those are gunshots, don't investigate further, that's a problem. When CSIS erases all their information so the RCMP have nothign to go on, that's a problem. When the attitude is that this is just a thing between brown people, nothing to do with Canada, that's a problem.

The honor killings we've had out here were all perpetrated by Sikhs. Haven't had one Moooooslim do it here. And we went thru the same cultural/religious garbage with the Sikhs, made our accomodations. (Not that I always agree with that).

Same with Boutiful. Allowed to operate for decades, nobody did anything. Publicly funded school that doesn't follow the curriculim - who cares. Let's only worry about the Moooooslims.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:22 am

martin14 martin14:
$1:
Deepa Mattoo, a staff lawyer at the clinic, told the Senate human rights committee in December that Canada shouldn't be looking at criminalization yet for forced marriage because it hasn't properly defined the problem or started educating people about it.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Quick, andy, get your Bountiful folder ready !
Because this has nothing to do with Islam.

$1:
Government officials have referred to a report by the South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario that said it was aware of 219 cases of forced marriage originating in Ontario and Quebec between 2010 and 2013. But the organization last fall said the "barbaric cultural practices" bill shows the Conservatives aren't listening.
Deepa Mattoo is a Hindu name which makes sense since the majority of south asians are Hindus. I guess that is close enough to Muslim for an ignoramus like yourself though.

P.S. Hindus and Muslims generally don't get along.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:51 am

As far as Winston Blackmore / Bountiful BC, the main legal issue I've always heard about was polygamy (he has 24 wives).

The RCMP were ready to lay polygamy charges against Blackmore back in the early 1990s, but the BC AG's department declined because they didn't think it would survive a Charter test.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:58 am

Awesome--are we finally going to stop genital mutilation of baby boys for religious purposes?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:01 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Awesome--are we finally going to stop genital mutilation of baby boys for religious purposes?

Nahh, that's a Jewish thing, so it's ok. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: