canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:14 am

Title: Barrie police arrest of man who died 'a short time later' caught on video
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-06-27 06:55:52
Canadian

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:14 am

You know, I find most cops to be atrocious drop outs on a power trip. But I have to say, if you stop resisting and lay down like a normal human being when a cop tells you to, you don't get tased 15 times, you don't get punched. You get handcuffed. But hey, why not add a resisting arrest charge to whatever they wanted you for in the first place and claim police brutality when cops are doing their job.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:24 am

Prof_Chomsky Prof_Chomsky:
But I have to say, if you stop resisting and lay down like a normal human being when a cop tells you to, you don't get tased 15 times, you don't get punched.

If only it were that simple. We've seen that people who aren't resisting get that treatment, and people who are victims of mistaken identity get arrested and tased anyhow.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:03 am

You know, I find most cops to be atrocious drop outs on a power trip. But I have to say, if you stop resisting and lay down like a normal human being when a cop tells you to, you don't get tased 15 times, you don't get punched. You get handcuffed. But hey, why not add a resisting arrest charge to whatever they wanted you for in the first place and claim police brutality when cops are doing their job.

Cooperating with the police and doing what they tell you to do is no guarantee that they won't harm you or kill you.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:09 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Cooperating with the police and doing what they tell you to do is no guarantee that they won't harm you or kill you.

Whereas refusing to do it pretty much guarantees an escalation.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:39 am

This happened in my town? First I've heard of it.

I don't condone police brutality, in fact I hate it. But.....that dude was struggling
and resisting for most of the video. Lay down and stay motionless, dude.

-J.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:02 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
But I have to say, if you stop resisting and lay down like a normal human being when a cop tells you to, you don't get tased 15 times, you don't get punched.

If only it were that simple. We've seen that people who aren't resisting get that treatment, and people who are victims of mistaken identity get arrested and tased anyhow.

Oh I never disagreed with that. A lot of cops deserve to be thrown in GenPop in prison. But resisting arrest is a sure fire way to get beaten badly.

I also find it to be common sense that when you're calm, not aggressive, mouthy, or an all around asshole, people, even dickwads on powertrips, have a harder time abusing you.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:58 am

What has our society turned into?

A guy with an valid warrant for his arrest, resists arrest and tried to fight off police and police were just supposed to give up and let him take off? Because he's black?

I don't know what people expect? If they tackle the guy, he can still die and suffer from other injuries as well. As a police officer, am I going to risk injury to myself or just use the safest method for all by using the taser to subdue the individual?

All of these idiots on Facebook and everywhere else that say he died because he was black are absolute morons. He died because he decided to resist arrest with a valid warrant. I don't think his skin made him commit the crime, call police and resist arrest.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:04 am

Coach85 Coach85:
As a police officer, am I going to risk injury to myself or just use the safest method for all by using the taser to subdue the individual?

That's something a lot of people forget. I went through training on subduing people for security. People always complain because it's 4 on 1 or whatever. That's the point. It's not supposed to be a fair fight. Fair makes it more dangerous for both parties. My instructors always said if it's on even ground, you've done something wrong. It's not in anyone's best interest for a cop to square up on some dude.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:35 am

Coach85 Coach85:
What has our society turned into?

A guy with an valid warrant for his arrest, resists arrest and tried to fight off police and police were just supposed to give up and let him take off? Because he's black?

I don't know what people expect? If they tackle the guy, he can still die and suffer from other injuries as well. As a police officer, am I going to risk injury to myself or just use the safest method for all by using the taser to subdue the individual?

All of these idiots on Facebook and everywhere else that say he died because he was black are absolute morons. He died because he decided to resist arrest with a valid warrant. I don't think his skin made him commit the crime, call police and resist arrest.

I couldn't agree more. I don't know what cops go through daily so it's hard to judge. From where I sit though, common people don't like anyone with a gun and a motto "protect and serve" going Rambo on them, or ordering them around like some overbearing Principle in kindergarten.

But, anyone who is lippy to a cop, refuses an order, or for God's sake, fights back or tries to run? You get what you have coming. I have no sympathy at all for perps who do that shit then cry foul when they wind up hurt. You respect authority figures, even if they haven't earned it in your eyes. The time for dealing with a douchbag on a power trip isn't when he and 4 of his cop buddies are tazing you in a lawful arrest.

If that moron had put his hands up, and said "Yes sir" they would have calmly cuffed him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:56 am

We don’t have the whole encounter start to finish and so I doubt there’s anything there that would incriminate police.

But to say people should just not resist is easier said than done. First of all the person is automatically under stress just from the fact that they are being detained by an intimidating authority figure. Add to that the fact that the person may have already been in a state of stress prior to being confronted by the co and so likely to be highly emotional and not thinking clearly. Then police usually initiate physical contact at time of arrest and even without the added stress it’s a natural response for some people to fear for their safety and resist being physically restrained sp they become even more emotional and irrational. Then the cop’s response is to escalate the force which only escalates the persons hysteria which only causes the cop to escalate the force even more an itts a vicious cycle. I place more responsibility on the cop in that situation because he is supposed to be the clesr-thinking trained professional in control of the situation and shouldn’t be allowing the suspect to escalate it. Cops instinctively go to escalation when they encounter someone agitated or non compliant when they should be considering de-escalation more often.

The cop who took down the Toronto incel van attack perp is the posters boy for de-escalation done right. He could have blown that giy to bits without being faulted for it but instead did a textbook de-escalation and the perp eventually surrendered and submitted of his own free will.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:41 am

But, anyone who is lippy to a cop, refuses an order, or for God's sake, fights back or tries to run? You get what you have coming.

"Lippy" to a lot of cops means someone who knows their rights and who isn't afraid to tell a cop that they're wrong. And then the anger monkey loses his shit and attacks the citizen who was correctly asserting their rights. Lots of lawsuits and a growing number of prosecutions of cops over this. Go over to the police misconduct topic to find numerous examples of this kind of crap.

"Refusing an order"? Well, again, the order has to be lawful. Just because some thug with a badge orders you to do something doesn't make him right. Once a cop starts enforcing his will as opposed to enforcing the law then so far as I am concerned all bets are off. He's now a validated armed target and, as you would say, should get what's coming to him.

And what about running because you're in fear for your life? And then the cop kills you for running away?

Yeah, that shit don't fly anymore as this cocksucker with an itchy trigger finger is discovering:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/police-office ... d=56196640

I've long held to three simple rules for the police:

$1:
1. Uphold and defend the Constitution that you swore an oath to uphold and defend.

2. Obey the laws you enforce.

3. Don't be a dick.

If a cop can't manage these three simple rules then they either need to leave the force or, hopefully, get killed before they kill an innocent person.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:57 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

But to say people should just not resist is easier said than done. First of all the person is automatically under stress just from the fact that they are being detained by an intimidating authority figure. Add to that the fact that the person may have already been in a state of stress prior to being confronted by the co and so likely to be highly emotional and not thinking clearly. Then police usually initiate physical contact at time of arrest and even without the added stress it’s a natural response for some people to fear for their safety and resist being physically restrained sp they become even more emotional and irrational. Then the cop’s response is to escalate the force which only escalates the persons hysteria which only causes the cop to escalate the force even more an itts a vicious cycle.

I place more responsibility on the cop in that situation because he is supposed to be the clesr-thinking trained professional in control of the situation and shouldn’t be allowing the suspect to escalate it. Cops instinctively go to escalation when they encounter someone agitated or non compliant when they should be considering de-escalation more often.

You can't talk about the suspect having a natural reaction and expect cops to prevent that natural reaction.

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
The cop who took down the Toronto incel van attack perp is the posters boy for de-escalation done right. He could have blown that giy to bits without being faulted for it but instead did a textbook de-escalation and the perp eventually surrendered and submitted of his own free will.

I don't think you understand the full situation.

That perp wasn't armed, using his finger as a gun and asking the cop to kill him. He didn't de-escalate the situation at all. He called his bluff while telling him "I don't care" that he claimed to have a gun. Typical suicide by cop situation. There was no reason or justification for the officer to shoot.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:42 am

Protecting people works both ways. I saw one hell of alot of cops come through the door of the DVA appeal hearings because they'd been injured in the line duty trying to handle some mentally ill person or halfwit criminal who decided to increase his street and prison cred by resisting arrest.

Until they figure out how to arrest these clowns with a big net ala Guardians of the Galaxy so no harm to either side we're going to have these types of incidents where it looks like they're piling on or beating someone but the reality is something totally different. Especially since alot of these video clips are edited by the author to show only what they want us to see.

So like Coach said. If you don't want to become a beaten to a pulp video clip on some anti cop web site it's better to accept your fate and just go with the flow especially in Canada where no matter what illegal act you perpetrated your stay in prison will likely be alot less than what you actually deserve.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:53 am

Coach85 Coach85:

Umm, yeah, that's about the gist of it. All that oppression, injustice, and other shit whitey's allegedly laid on them means they have the right, in certain left-wing extremist minds, to commit whatever mayhem they want without being run through the justice system. Natives too.