canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:09 pm

Thanos Thanos:
"Spirit of the law" is a much-abused term, especially by pundits. If it's technically and constitutionally legal for a PM or president to exercise his/hers powers within the limits of the law then they have every right to do so. The dissent of the chattering class means next to nothing in these instances. The new GG isn't going to interfere in the process if a snap election is called any more than any other GG in the past ever has. The Queen's representative doesn't care any more about Canadian media caterwauling than the actual Queen does herself.

I don't see Trudeau getting a backlash from a supposedly pissed-off public if an election is called either. Except for the conservative portion of the Twitter mob there's not much evidence than anyone else in the country is enraged at the thought of having to go out and vote.

I'll cop to being wrong on this, particularly when I ought to know better. Here's commentary from Dale Smith, citing political scientist Emmett Macfarlane:

$1:

The “debate,” if you can call it such, over Jagmeet Singh’s decision to undermine Her Excellency Mary Simon by publicly writing her and telling her to refuse the advice of the prime minister who commands the confidence of the Chamber just got more ridiculous, as Andrew Coyne decided to weigh in yesterday (and no, I’m not going to link because hate clicks are still clicks). Coyne contends that the fixed election date law empowers the GG to turn down such a request, and “proves” it by quoting testimony from former justice minister Rob Nicholson at the Senate committee.

No. Just…no.

The logic in Coyne’s argument can’t hold because the Governor General’s role in accepting the advice of the prime minister who enjoys the confidence of the Chamber is the very basis of our constitutional framework under Responsible Government. The only discretion she might have over dissolution is when a request is made shortly after an election – that’s it. Nothing a simple statute, like the fixed election date law, can change a constitutional element, and there is jurisprudence to back this up, particularly the doomed attempts at trying to get the courts to uphold the fixed election date legislation, which they dismissed (including the Supreme Court of Canada). Fixed election date legislation is an empty shell – a bit of theatre and attempt to Americanise our system, and is antithetical to how Westminster systems operate – it shouldn’t be on our books as a result. There is no way that it could empower the GG to do away with constitutional norms to refuse dissolution, and if she did refuse, the prime minister would be obligated to resign, and we’d be in an election regardless. It’s ridiculous and wrong to suggest otherwise.

My view of this being a shitty thing to do still stands, though.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:11 pm

Shitty to who the NDP?

Here is Trudeau making the drop of the writ announcement:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:38 pm

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
My view of this being a shitty thing to do still stands, though.

I put down Colonel Coyne's outrage and finger-wagging in the same category of irrelevance as Jason Kenney's rabid frothing over Trudeau not appointing some "elected" conservative senator to the Upper House, as if stunt-booking along the lines of "the people have spoken" morally obligates a Liberal PM to concede to a Reform/CRAP/Con/UCP gimmick. The PM isn't obligated in the slightest to go along with this gong show conservatives in Alberta have been perpetrating since the 1990's. If they don't like it then too bloody bad for them. And, given that political conservatives have more than proven over the last decade or more, especially in the last five years, that they have NO morals or ethics at all then who the hell are they to scold anyone else?

If it's not written into the basic foundation of the constitution then the PM can do it. If it's not prohibited then it's automatically legal and ethical as well. No amount of complaining changes the basic reality. It's like this thing with Biden in the last couple of days using his own authority to extend the eviction moratorium. The never-Trumper conservatives are proving that they're quite the disgusting lot themselves because they've all descended on the POTUS with their usual ridiculous "gross over-reach" and "worst extra-constitutional outrage ever" bullshit routine to prove that they're still on side with the supposed free market, in this instance siding with landlords. So not are they ignoring that the POTUS has the authority to use an agency like the CDC to intervene in their sainted free market during a crisis (i.e. ongoing COVID difficulties), but most of them being talking heads (just like Col. Coyne) probably have no idea what they're even talking about.

I just don't have patience anymore for these kinds of bogus arguments. I've been hoodwinked too many times in the past by those spouting these things to ever go along with them ever again. Fuck, just going by the names of the ones doing the babbling and knowing the nauseating nature of the side of the spectrum they're doing the leg-work for is now enough for me to violently react against what is being said.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:40 pm

Scape Scape:
Shitty to who the NDP?

Here is Trudeau making the drop of the writ announcement:

Shitty because a bunch of bills will die on the order paper if an election is called, including bills on everything from conversion therapy bans to official languages to COVID-19 payments to people still reeling from its effects. Not to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars an election costs, there not being any real justifiable reason to have one in the first place and a lot of people are still reeling from everything from COVID to the wildfires.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:50 pm

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
Shitty because a bunch of bills will die on the order paper if an election is called

Good. This happens all the time when elections are called. This isn't 'shitty' at all, it's the Canadian political process, and it happens.

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
Not to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars an election costs, there not being any real justifiable reason to have one in the first place and a lot of people are still reeling from everything from COVID to the wildfires.

Trudeau seems to be the only one that wants an election. Only an idiot calls an election with all this strife going on. But, it is JT and he has an abundance of empty space between the ears to begin with.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:04 pm

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
Shitty because a bunch of bills will die on the order paper if an election is called.

Irrelevant. These bills will die anyway but that doesn't stop them being reintroduced under a new number as soon as the house reconvenes. Political will to survive supersedes all other political considerations.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:56 am

$1:
Trudeau seems to be the only one that wants an election. Only an idiot calls an election with all this strife going on. But, it is JT and he has an abundance of empty space between the ears to begin with.

What strife? I thought there was nothing to fear, I thought we needed to go back to normal. What could be more normal than an election?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:32 am

llama66 llama66:
$1:

What strife? I thought there was nothing to fear, I thought we needed to go back to normal. What could be more normal than an election?

Zing! ROTFL