Title: Budget: Deficit down, billions in new spending | CTV News
Category: Political
Posted By: Scape
Date: 2022-04-07 15:57:30
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:43 am

Did Murphy Brownshirt even read the budget before that presser? Most of what she complained about wasn't even in the budget.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:11 am

Well, I hate to say I told you so, but I said the Liberals wouldn't commit to any significant bump in defence spending and yesterday's budget proved me right.

Some Canadians may think $8 billion over five years is a big bump, but it will barely increase our spending from 1.39% to 1.5%

None of our allies will think it's a 'big bump' either:

Canada's plan to boost military spending ‘falls flat’ amid high hopes

Thanks for nothing guys...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:42 am

bootlegga bootlegga:

When Liberals give us nothing, make nothing burgers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:46 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:

When Liberals give us nothing, make nothing burgers.

While the current crop of Liberals are not huge supporters of the armed forces, I have a distinct feeling that the agreement with the NDP put a damper on any serious increases in defence spending.

After the war in Ukraine started, Minister Anand said she was proposing three sets of spending proposals - one under 2%, one to get to 2% and one to exceed 2%, but I've no doubt Singh and his peaceniks put the kibosh on real funding for the armed forces. Singh even came out a week and a half ago and said the NDP wouldn't support 2% at all.

I know I sound like some sort of warhawk, but we had a peace dividend for almost 30 years, but the world has changed now, so we need to step up and really fund our armed forces.

Look at Ukraine - they took their armed forces seriously after 2014 and because of it (as well as western aid) were able to blunt the first wave of Russian attacks. While it's far less likely we will ever have to deal with an invasion, we still need a much stronger air force and navy than we have, and investing in the Army will ensure when we do have to put boots on the ground that they will be properly equipped and able to deal with whatever threats they face.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:29 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
After the war in Ukraine started, Minister Anand said she was proposing three sets of spending proposals - one under 2%, one to get to 2% and one to exceed 2%, but I've no doubt Singh and his peaceniks put the kibosh on real funding for the armed forces.

Absolutely. He was even talking getting rid of the military at one point. Which I find amusing, given that he often wears a Kirpan to defend his faith.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:28 pm

Feel free to be despondent, even the Tories and their pundits aren't going after the military spending with any real intent.
Same old same old gripe that the gov't is spending money at all. On these horrible things like housing, dental and pharmacare, climate change.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:50 pm

1.4% of GDP to 1.5%. $8 Billion when Germany is spending $100.

That said there is a caveat here. There is more coming. Hard commitments are not finalized but we will be seeing more in the months, not years, ahead. Sufficed to say the Government is hesitant to tip their hand in multilateral talks with NATO members but there is something up and it is large. More to follow.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:23 pm

herbie herbie:
Feel free to be despondent, even the Tories and their pundits aren't going after the military spending with any real intent.
Same old same old gripe that the gov't is spending money at all. On these horrible things like housing, dental and pharmacare, climate change.

I have zero confidence in the NDP or the Liberals ever spending what we need, and while the Conservatives might spend a few bucks more than those two, but all the other negatives they come with outweigh any benefits.

Scape Scape:
1.4% of GDP to 1.5%. $8 Billion when Germany is spending $100.

My point exactly - when I heard the $8 figure, I thought it that was for next year, not spread over 5 years. $1.6 billion a year is a joke given what's going on in the world of late.

Scape Scape:
That said there is a caveat here. There is more coming. Hard commitments are not finalized but we will be seeing more in the months, not years, ahead. Sufficed to say the Government is hesitant to tip their hand in multilateral talks with NATO members but there is something up and it is large. More to follow.

The problem is every government for the last 40 years has promised big spending years down the road, and if they are in government when the bill comes due, they either balked or pushed it further down the road.

I'd like to believe we'll see more in the months ahead, but given the track record of previous governments, I'm not hopeful the increases will be all that significant even after they talk with our allies.

The current crop of Liberals is nowhere close to understanding international relations in the way Mackenzie King, Louis St. Laurent or, Lester Pearson did.

Last edited by bootlegga on Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:26 pm

I get the angst, you're preaching to the choir. This is different. They are keeping powder dry as there are major operations being planned and they don't want to tip their hand and overcommit. There is going to be major moves in the months ahead.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:06 pm

(fingers crossed)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:16 pm

*Canada spends a billion to buy a nuke on the open market, delivers it to Ukraine in a big box marked "used tractor parts", stands there like Urkel going "did I do that?!?!??!" when some inevitable natural justice gets inflicted on Russia*

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:01 pm

$1:
I have zero confidence in the NDP or the Liberals ever spending what we need, and while the Conservatives might spend a few bucks more than those two, but all the other negatives they come with outweigh any benefits.

The feelings of probably most Canadians.