canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Title: Bundle up, Metro Vancouver, there�s snow on the way; extreme cold expected elsewhere
Category: Weather
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2014-12-30 15:53:28
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Disclaimer for the very stupid: Please note the category this is posted under.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:24 pm

We're going to be getting some subfreezing weather down here the next couple of nights. No big deal. It's merely called 'winter' and not 'The End of Days'.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:32 pm

You don't live in Lotus Land. If snow falls lower than the ski hills, it's Armageddon.
People with bald summer tires still trying to drive 100 kmh three cms off your bumper.
Funniest thing I remember was a decade ago seeing a little Toyota bouncing off cars as it slid slowly downhill. My brother and law and I ran out to push it away so it didn't hit our cars. The dricer had his teeth clenched, knuckles white, foot pressing the brake to the floor and when it finally slid onto Rupert St. and slammed into the sidewalk on the other side we let go.
Right there on the car door was painted "Hong Kong Driving School". No shit, I'll testify in court.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:34 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Disclaimer for the very stupid: Please note the category this is posted under.

:lol: Nice catch.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Cold weather events in winter are worth posting about, but warm weather events such as the East recently experienced aren't. Strange, that.

Here is the forecast for the next 7 days. Nothing remarkable at all about it for this time of year. Can we expect weekly postings about having normal weather conditions from now on?

Last edited by andyt on Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Tampa Bay Lightning

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:54 pm

Vegas has Snow and Ice/Cold for New Years Eve WX lol. Which means in Vegas, Open season on Pedestrian's and other Motorist 8O .

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:58 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
We're going to be getting some subfreezing weather down here the next couple of nights. No big deal. It's merely called 'winter' and not 'The End of Days'.

Cold has nothing to do with "The End of Days" here on the Lower Mainland, to reach that point there must be at least 1.2cm of West Coast snow on the ground. At that point it now becomes every man for himself and may God have pity on everyone else!!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:08 pm

... can't wait for those bumper car videos ... like when it snows in California or Florida.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:15 pm

There will probably not be bumper car vids from Vancouver, since this will be rain mixed with snow turning to rain. Very unlikely to have very slick roads unless the temp dips a bit more than expected. That's the thing about Vancouver - in winter we're usually just above the freezing mark - if a cold front comes down we get some snow.

I've lived here most of my life, and I recall getting much deeper snowfalls for much longer periods than we do now. Stumbling around drunk or stoned with 3 foot snowbanks to fall into, having my car kept on the road by all the snow piled up on the sides, etc. We haven't had that for the last 30 years except for the odd freak year. Last one was 1996. Used to be it was like that every year.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:18 pm

andyt andyt:
There will probably not be bumper car vids from Vancouver, since this will be rain mixed with snow turning to rain. Very unlikely to have very slick roads unless the temp dips a bit more than expected. That's the thing about Vancouver - in winter we're usually just above the freezing mark - if a cold front comes down we get some snow.

I've lived here most of my life, and I recall getting much deeper snowfalls for much longer periods than we do now. Stumbling around drunk or stoned with 3 foot snowbanks to fall into, having my car kept on the road by all the snow piled up on the sides, etc. We haven't had that for the last 30 years except for the odd freak year. Last one was 1996. Used to be it was like that every year.

That might be because you left your hermit's cave up on Grouch Mountain and moved down into town when the Oreos ran out.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:26 pm

Vamp018 Vamp018:
Vegas has Snow and Ice/Cold for New Years Eve WX lol. Which means in Vegas, Open season on Pedestrian's and other Motorist 8O .

I got some relatives who just went down there. ROTFL they could have saved themselves a couple of K by staying the fuck home where it's almost as warm.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:31 pm

andyt andyt:

That's happened before. Last year we had 4 days straight of snow despite Environment Canada saying it was turning to rain every day. 50 CM of snow later it just stopped snowing, no rain, nothing. Well done weather forecasters. :roll:

One of the only 2 professions in the world where you can be wrong 100% of the time and still keep your job. :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:24 am

Sounds like this cold snap is going right down the coast all the way to California.

Cold Storm to Bring Snow, Rain and a Freeze to California

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:59 am

Bumper cars!

Let's watch 30 million Californians suddenly discover Newton's laws of motion!