bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:17 pm

stemmer stemmer:
I know in the 1950's & 1960's, my grandfather a longshoreman could afford to buy a new Chevy every 2-3 years. My grandmother was an housewife. They owned their own home and lived comfortably...

Today it takes two couples working to maintain an home...

So IMHO the middle class was better off prior to all this globalization bs...

Damn straight.

\Yes, I know I'm agreeing with stemmer.
\\No, I'm not high.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:18 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
stemmer stemmer:
I know in the 1950's & 1960's, my grandfather a longshoreman could afford to buy a new Chevy every 2-3 years. My grandmother was an housewife. They owned their own home and lived comfortably...

Damn straight.

\Yes, I know I'm agreeing with stemmer.
\\No, I'm not high.

lol I hate to admit it too, but I also agree, and am not currently high.

Edit: But I think he meant 'two people' not two couples.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:20 pm

stemmer stemmer:
I know in the 1950's & 1960's, my grandfather a longshoreman could afford to buy a new Chevy every 2-3 years. .

well that was handy considering they only last 2 or 3 years :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:09 pm

stemmer stemmer:

Globalization and the WTO is nothing but Economic redistribution of wealth to countries such as China, India, Russia which are poor countries.

I don't personally like it, but maybe it will stop a few wars or larger countries invading smaller ones for resources?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:45 pm

tritium tritium:
Globalization and the WTO is nothing but Economic redistribution of wealth to countries such as China, India, Russia which are poor countries.

I don't personally like it, but maybe it will stop a few wars or larger countries invading smaller ones for resources?

There are so many problems with these statements I don't know where to begin...start by examining GATT (and the other Bretton Woods institutions), the WTO's predecessor. It was pretty much created to keep the West on top and screw everyone else over after WW2.

Globalization has ZERO to do with redistributing wealth. It's all about corporations looking at one thing, the bottom line. Make something cheaper and profits are higher, it's that simple. As long as this is a capitalist society, our companies will always look for the cheapest method of production to increase profits.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:09 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
It's all about corporations looking at one thing, the bottom line. Make something cheaper and profits are higher, it's that simple. As long as this is a capitalist society, our companies will always look for the cheapest method of production to increase profits.

I think that so long as profit is the sole focus for a company, and we let them externalize costs, then this will be true.

We will always be Capitalist, but I don't think it has to be 'profit to the exclusion of all else'.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:51 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
tritium tritium:

There are so many problems with these statements I don't know where to begin...start by examining GATT (and the other Bretton Woods institutions), the WTO's predecessor. It was pretty much created to keep the West on top and screw everyone else over after WW2.

Globalization has ZERO to do with redistributing wealth. It's all about corporations looking at one thing, the bottom line. Make something cheaper and profits are higher, it's that simple. As long as this is a capitalist society, our companies will always look for the cheapest method of production to increase profits.

WTF...are you drunk!!! GM was much more profitable prior to all this globalization...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:54 pm

mtbr mtbr:
stemmer stemmer:
I know in the 1950's & 1960's, my grandfather a longshoreman could afford to buy a new Chevy every 2-3 years. .

Just proves how much in the dark you really are... I have a 40+ year old Chevy in my garage... Learn the facts and stop sputtering off your usual rhetorical anti-Big Three bs...!!!!!

There are many more 10-20+ year old Chevys, Fords, Dodges around then any Jap crap....!!!!!

Sorry but I have little time for punks like you....

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:23 pm

Wow so much falacious and purely false statements here...
They should put a discount on:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:28 pm

stemmer stemmer:
mtbr mtbr:
stemmer stemmer:

Just proves how much in the dark you really are... I have a 40+ year old Chevy in my garage... Learn the facts and stop sputtering off your usual rhetorical anti-Big Three bs...!!!!!

There are many more 10-20+ year old Chevys, Fords, Dodges around then any Jap crap....!!!!!

Sorry but I have little time for punks like you....

because you're just a silly old man who can't forget old union fables from the 60's and 70's :P
GM will probably be worth a lot of money next year . it's like the paintings of a great artist their value increases after the artist dies.

how much of your Impala is made in China?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:46 pm

I'm NOT pro union.... I'm a card carrying member of the Conservatives.... However I'm smart enough to realize we are now engaged in a global economic war and sorry... I'll give none of my money to off shore companies...

It's like this... Why buy your bread and donuts from a bakery 50 miles away when there is one in your own community....

Trade should be for the benefit of both trading partners... You trade for products you do not have... What would be the sense in trading Nova Scotia apples for apples from California? Yet we sell cars and other goods from foreign coorporations that our own companies ourselves manufacture. We should be importing goods and services we can not or do not produce... Again why trade apples for apples when you should be trading apples for pineapples...

Sorry but you blokes are buying too much into this globalization crap... How many hospitals, community centres, schools have Toyota or Honda helped build in Canada or USA? The only auto companies to offer assistance to NYC after 9-11 was GM, Ford & Chrysler...

Wake up and smell the roses....

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:52 pm

$1:
I'll give none of my money to off shore companies...

So only western industrialized nations can prosper and have a better quality of life ? That's very selfish.

$1:
Why buy your bread and donuts from a bakery 50 miles away when there is one in your own community

Because they are cheaper and better?

$1:
Trade should be for the benefit of both trading partners

That's why we make treaties like NAFTA that benefit all partners.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:55 pm

stemmer stemmer:
I'm NOT pro union.... I'm a card carrying member of the Conservatives.... However I'm smart enough to realize we are now engaged in a global economic war and sorry... I'll give none of my money to off shore companies...

It's like this... Why buy your bread and donuts from a bakery 50 miles away when there is one in your own community....

Trade should be for the benefit of both trading partners... You trade for products you do not have... What would be the sense in trading Nova Scotia apples for apples from California? Yet we sell cars and other goods from foreign coorporations that our own companies ourselves manufacture. We should be importing goods and services we can not or do not produce... Again why trade apples for apples when you should be trading apples for pineapples...

Sorry but you blokes are buying too much into this globalization crap... How many hospitals, community centres, schools have Toyota or Honda helped build in Canada or USA? The only auto companies to offer assistance to NYC after 9-11 was GM, Ford & Chrysler...

Wake up and smell the roses....

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/pu ... 1781.shtml
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2008/06/1 ... n-iowa.htm

http://planetsave.com/blog/2008/09/19/t ... onal-park/
http://forums.trucktrend.com/70/6794734 ... index.html

http://www.autospectator.com/cars/toyot ... od-victims

http://news.siu.edu/news/November08/110608par8143.html

gees old man try google once in a while it's scary what you might find ...those took me 20 seconds :P

would you like some more?

get your head out of the sand.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:59 pm

@mtbr: that's what I mean by "false statements".

It's easy to make up something to make your point.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:01 pm

I'm so dumbfounded at what I've read on the preceding 3 pages that I can't rally a single comprehensible, lucid comment. I'm just gonna go smoke a big gagger and bite my tongue. Ice fishing this weekend..WOO-HOOOO!