Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:15 pm

BRAH BRAH:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:
Can't help feeling for the family of the suspect.

Mental illness has many casualties.

The way the dad was shaking not sure if it's because of what happened or he has parkinson's ether way he's devastated. :(

It was mentioned in that news cast only that Doug deGrood was "suffering from a medical condition". But I have no doubt that it was exacerbated by the situation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:54 am

andyt andyt:
He had a psychotic break. He deserves sympathy as well. And to be locked up for a long time.

If he did indeed have a "psychotic" breakdown then he does deserve some sympathy and if he didn't then he should be vilified for life.

For example. I had a cousin who went to University in Italy and one day my aunt and uncle got a call from the Italian Gov't telling them to come and take him home. Apparently he became physically abusive to anyone he met, became physically threatening to his classmates and actually tried to destroy some very expensive Italian art with a knife.

He was in his late teens, developed Schizophrenia and went completely off the rails, hence the phone call. He got so bad that despite my aunt and uncles best attempts they couldn't control him and he ended up being placed in an institution.

This kid is in that same age group as my cousin was so maybe his parents, teachers, family and friends missed the signs like we all did with my cousin and this is the result.

Or, the kid could just be the consummate psychopath who was waiting for the right opportunity to extract some form of retribution for perceived slights. Either way, until they come out and tell us point blank what caused it we shouldn't assume anything and he should remain locked up for the protection of society, for ever if necessary.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:35 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
andyt andyt:
He had a psychotic break. He deserves sympathy as well. And to be locked up for a long time.

If he did indeed have a "psychotic" breakdown then he does deserve some sympathy and if he didn't then he should be vilified for life.

For example. I had a cousin who went to University in Italy and one day my aunt and uncle got a call from the Italian Gov't telling them to come and take him home. Apparently he became physically abusive to anyone he met, became physically threatening to his classmates and actually tried to destroy some very expensive Italian art with a knife.

He was in his late teens, developed Schizophrenia and went completely off the rails, hence the phone call. He got so bad that despite my aunt and uncles best attempts they couldn't control him and he ended up being placed in an institution.

This kid is in that same age group as my cousin was so maybe his parents, teachers, family and friends missed the signs like we all did with my cousin and this is the result.

Or, the kid could just be the consummate psychopath who was waiting for the right opportunity to extract some form of retribution for perceived slights. Either way, until they come out and tell us point blank what caused it we shouldn't assume anything and he should remain locked up for the protection of society, for ever if necessary.

I read somewhere recently that the onset of things like Bipolar disorder and Schizophrenia can occur in the late teens and early 20's.

This kids' parents got some very disturbing text messages from their son, who had just finished a shift at the grocery store where he worked. They thought he was likely to kill himself, so they had a protective order called out on him, and any cop in the city who saw his car was to detain him for his own protection. As they were getting the order in place, the call came in of a multiple homicide.

Edit: Another psychologist I read said that most people who go down this path end up committing suicide. Very rarely do they turn homicidal, which is why we rarely hear about it.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:02 am

Think I called it on page 2 of this one.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:13 am

Regina Regina:

Indeed you did! But I also read it somewhere else recently, reinforcing your post.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:24 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:

He should be locked up anyway, even if it was a psychotic break. This is no different than Vince Li, who is also mentally ill. He should not be released for a good long time. I would like people like this to be given life sentences, which would mean that when they are released they are monitored as to what they are up to, just as someone found guilty of murder would be. Instead they are deemed "healed" and released without restrictions.

As for your first sentence, very unlikely.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:27 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Regina Regina:

Indeed you did! But I also read it somewhere else recently, reinforcing your post.

I probably said it before. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:50 am

Regina Regina:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Regina Regina:

I probably said it before. :lol:

Nope! I recall now. A Psychologist, Stephen Hart, on Cross Country Checkup this past weekend said it.

http://www.cbc.ca/checkup/episode/2014/ ... m-attacks/

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:58 am

:lol: He probably follows me on Twitter.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Everything said is only pure speculation (normal), and looks like that is the way this conversation is likely to remain for some time as [i]everyone involved- family, paramedics, hospital personel, funeral personel[, absolutely anyone involved/i] is not permitted to disclose any info, or discuss with each other in any way for fear of jeopardizing the investigation.