canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:26 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=25423" target="_blank">Canada asks for Chinook design changes; military expert worry about delay</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/news/topic/13-military" target="_blank">Military</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=Hyack" target="_blank">Hyack</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2007-09-23 17:42:43
<strong>Canadian</strong>

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:26 pm

Inverted is gonna be pissed.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:29 pm

Since our helicopters haven't even started production yet (hell, the contract hasn't been signed) there will be no delay. Hell, if we let boeing build an advanced prototype of our design, they may even let us in on the que for the simple reason we gave them a better product to sell.

Plus, knowing our government, we will take these prototypes and use them till they fall apart anyways.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:05 pm

I recall the "slick", Bell Iroquois, Huey was adopted by the US and then the Canadains ordered a vastly up-powered version..........which the yanks than adopted eagerly.

Chinocks have been about a long time and are a mature design easily modified compared to a new-airframe. This is in principle like ordering a CD instead of a cassette player....not really a big deal.
Uprating the engines may be required but this is happening constantly anyhoo.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:40 pm

yea, maybe we'll stick some canuck-made engines in them.

Whats the shaft horsepower on a Chinook anyways?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:00 pm

[?]

I have so many problems with this I don't even know where to start.

But my biggest beef is this idea that we need to use the Chinook to do CASEVAC....WHAT!!!!! We have a perfectly good helicopter that can do that, in Afghanistan, in the summer daytime heat! [rtfm] I think what pisses me off the most is that this came from Lt Gen Watt, an ex tactical helicopter pilot he should now better.

Everything else is standard...larger fuel tanks, weather radar, terrain following radar, weapons systems, they are all on the G model Chinook...again WTF!!!

I'm just going to go back to banging my head against the wall. R=EM

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:26 pm

Inverted
$1:
But my biggest beef is this idea that we need to use the Chinook to do CASEVAC....WHAT!!!!! We have a perfectly good helicopter that can do that, in Afghanistan, in the summer daytime heat! I think what pisses me off the most is that this came from Lt Gen Watt, an ex tactical helicopter pilot he should now better.

Everything else is standard...larger fuel tanks, weather radar, terrain following radar, weapons systems, they are all on the G model Chinook...again WTF!!!

While I am not a big fan of the Griffin(In my view it is not big enough)......this is more or less my position.....a Cd deck instead of a cassette player.....all off the shelf stuff.

My fraternity is a huge fan of the jolly green giant----we like big helos.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:06 am

I have to agree with that expert. If the Cons don't have a contract signed soon, it might never be ordered, simply because the perceived need for them will probably disappear in 2009. It seems like no matter who's in power, the contract process takes frickin' forever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:59 pm

Everything they want to add to the Chinook already exists. The Brits have an armour package they use for the D model, might not fit as is into an F or G but it can't take much of a modification. What's wrong with using 2 x 50's or mini's on the forward doors and a C6 on the ramp? It works for every other force out there. The Brits and US use Chinooks to do CASEVAC but only for large numbers, usually they use smaller helo's Blackhawks, Lynk, Hueys...GRIFFONS!!! And the rigs for CASEVAC already exist.

So why do we need a prototype to test this stuff? I think Boeing is taking advantage to get some test and evaluation out of the CF. Too bad we don't have a negotiator with a big enough set of balls to tell Boeing to shove it and give us what we want. By the time all this happens we will probably be pushing 2014 which is when Sikorsky is planning on reopening the MH53 line, which very well could be a better aircraft then the Chinook.

Sasquatch2 - I agree size does matter in some things, but would you use an HLVW to insert a sniper det? I would hope not. As with everything else in the military we have different tools for different jobs, the Chinook is best used to move lots of troops and lots of supplies over the battlefield. The Griffon does small party movements, overwatch, rotary CAS, CASEVAC, C2 really well. The two work hand in hand, much like different sized trucks to ground move supplies.

Bootlegga - I agree...if this contract doesn't get signed soon the CF is screwed, I think the deadline is the next election, if we sign before than we will probably be pretty safe, if it's not signed by then, than it's a crap shoot. If the Conservatives win again we may get them, if the Liberals win I think the program will die a quick death.

Cheers

[BB] [flag]