CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 14675
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:16 pm
 


Thanos wrote:
Getting on the Security Council was of the absolute lowest priority to most Canadians. This was something that the upper elite in the Liberal party was obsessing over and pretty much no one else.


R=UP


Quote:
The Trudeau government's pursuit of a seat on the security council over the last four years was framed by the former Conservative government's failure to win a seat in 2010 — and the Liberals's insistence at the time that the defeat was a de facto indictment of Stephen Harper's approach to the world.

Not since 1946 had Canada failed when it went after one of the rotating spots. The Liberals argued the loss in 2010 — to Germany and Portugal — embarrassed the country and symbolized the Harper government's unwillingness or inability to engage constructively with the world.


https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada ... -1.5616649


So Trudeau's approach and engagement with the world was apparently no better than Harper's despite his claims that's why we didn't get a seat in 2010. So after committing our troops to Peace Keeping missions and giving foreign aide to every country on the planet who asked for it, China included. What's the real reason he didn't win the seat that he considered his birthright?

Oh yeah, HARPER HARPER HARPER. ROTFL

I'm sorry but it's time for the Liberals to grow up accept responsibility for their own actions and quit blaming the previous gov't for every one of their failures because, besides being tiring it also isn't true.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 21507
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:36 pm
 


Thanos wrote:
And the Liberal idea is what? Not put in the work yet expect a seat at the alleged big kids table? Exactly what huge international initiatives has this country engaged in since the departure of Demon Harper that entitled us to a upwards move in status?

You're trapped in some kind of a good party vs bad party mode. If Canada's diminished then it's a national failure that has nothing to do with party boundaries.


I honestly do not know what the Liberal plan is, but hopefully it's a return to the role we Canada played in the 1950s, 60s and 70s, when we supported our allies, but also played a useful middle power role in international organizations and tried to be an honest broker for everyone.

And I agree that no one party is to blame for the shift in our status.

That middle power role was undermined by Trudeau Sr. when he cut funding for the Armed Forces, and effectivly killed off by Mulroney when Canada morphed into America's Little Brother because of his uber close ties to Reagan. Chretien tried, but like Trudeau Sr., he refused to fund the armed forces or foreign aid, so it was more than a little hollow. Harper doubled down on the US and abandoned most international organizations, and like his predecessors, further cut foreign aid and defence spending to the lowest per capita levels seen since the 1930s.

Trudeau Jr at least got us back into peacekeeping, even if the role in Mali was limited. I have little hope that he will increase foreign aid or defence spending either, esepcially with the massive hole COIVD-19 has blown in the federal budget (estimated at $200+ billion).

This Security Council seat wasn't the be all and end all for Canada, but it would have at least been a start down the road to some sort of foreign policy.

Now we don't even have that.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8566
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:09 pm
 


Oops


Last edited by fifeboy on Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8566
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:09 pm
 


bootlegga wrote:
Thanos wrote:
And the Liberal idea is what? Not put in the work yet expect a seat at the alleged big kids table? Exactly what huge international initiatives has this country engaged in since the departure of Demon Harper that entitled us to a upwards move in status?

You're trapped in some kind of a good party vs bad party mode. If Canada's diminished then it's a national failure that has nothing to do with party boundaries.


I honestly do not know what the Liberal plan is, but hopefully it's a return to the role we Canada played in the 1950s, 60s and 70s, when we supported our allies, but also played a useful middle power role in international organizations and tried to be an honest broker for everyone.

And I agree that no one party is to blame for the shift in our status.

That middle power role was undermined by Trudeau Sr. when he cut funding for the Armed Forces, and effectivly killed off by Mulroney when Canada morphed into America's Little Brother because of his uber close ties to Reagan. Chretien tried, but like Trudeau Sr., he refused to fund the armed forces or foreign aid, so it was more than a little hollow. Harper doubled down on the US and abandoned most international organizations, and like his predecessors, further cut foreign aid and defence spending to the lowest per capita levels seen since the 1930s.

Trudeau Jr at least got us back into peacekeeping, even if the role in Mali was limited. I have little hope that he will increase foreign aid or defence spending either, esepcially with the massive hole COIVD-19 has blown in the federal budget (estimated at $200+ billion).

This Security Council seat wasn't the be all and end all for Canada, but it would have at least been a start down the road to some sort of foreign policy.

Now we don't even have that.

Well said!


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9940
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:30 pm
 


There's a more important Security Council. Old Age Security!
Minimum needs were determined to be $2000 a month Covid cash. So make the OAS $2000 a month.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 24572
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:36 pm
 


Zipperfish wrote:
Tricks wrote:
Zipperfish wrote:
Canada has not had a very coherent foreign policy for some time now. Also, this is the Security Council, but our spending on the military is abysmal. We didn't deserve the seat.

We desperately need a coherent foreign policy. We have three belligerents in Trump, Xi and Putin, two of whom are neighbours. International institutions are fraying.

Maybe focus on some much needed military renewal instead, starting with those choppers.

R=UP


Our foreign policy is walk softly and carry a 1953 stick duct-taped together.

Ultimately we're never going to carry the same military might of a country like the U.S. or China based purely off population. But we should still be committed to making sure we keep our shit up to date. Our men and women in uniform can be all stars with out dated stuff, I'm sure they'd raise some eye brows with proper equipment.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 14675
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:02 pm
 


Tricks wrote:
Ultimately we're never going to carry the same military might of a country like the U.S. or China based purely off population. But we should still be committed to making sure we keep our shit up to date. Our men and women in uniform can be all stars with out dated stuff, I'm sure they'd raise some eye brows with proper equipment.


For the first time in months I agree with you. R=UP

Sadly, now all we'll have to do is get the current gov't and every successive one onboard but it can only be done with the support of the Canadian public which will be the hard part.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 15235
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:19 pm
 


Freakinoldguy wrote:


So Trudeau's approach and engagement with the world was apparently no better than Harper's despite his claims that's why we didn't get a seat in 2010. So after committing our troops to Peace Keeping missions and giving foreign aide to every country on the planet who asked for it, China included. What's the real reason he didn't win the seat that he considered his birthright?


Canada has ALWAYS committed troops to peacekeeping missions. In fact it was Canada that invented peacekeeping. Enough of your revisionist history.

Canada also didn’t provide foreign aid to China.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1176
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:25 pm
 


Freakinoldguy wrote:
What's the real reason he didn't win the seat that he considered his birthright?



It's the UN. The reason is.. not enough bribe money paid.

And keep in mind, with PM Sox you have to pay extra, because Sox.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8566
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:08 pm
 


Tricks wrote:
Ultimately we're never going to carry the same military might of a country like the U.S. or China based purely off population. But we should still be committed to making sure we keep our shit up to date. Our men and women in uniform can be all stars with out dated stuff, I'm sure they'd raise some eye brows with proper equipment.

R=UP
I would really like an end to the “we will cut taxes bs” add on some taxes somewhere (probably GST) and get on with re-arming.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1552
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:11 am
 


herbie wrote:
There's a more important Security Council. Old Age Security!
Minimum needs were determined to be $2000 a month Covid cash. So make the OAS $2000 a month.
Why so cheap?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 24572
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:32 am
 


fifeboy wrote:
Tricks wrote:
Ultimately we're never going to carry the same military might of a country like the U.S. or China based purely off population. But we should still be committed to making sure we keep our shit up to date. Our men and women in uniform can be all stars with out dated stuff, I'm sure they'd raise some eye brows with proper equipment.

R=UP
I would really like an end to the “we will cut taxes bs” add on some taxes somewhere (probably GST) and get on with re-arming.

I'd have no problem paying a little extra at the till if it meant we can start getting a our military back to a proper standard.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 16865
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:58 pm
 




Great take. Way to much reliance on muslim votes from dictatorships and not enough support for actual democratic states.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 14675
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:43 pm
 


BeaverFever wrote:
Freakinoldguy wrote:


So Trudeau's approach and engagement with the world was apparently no better than Harper's despite his claims that's why we didn't get a seat in 2010. So after committing our troops to Peace Keeping missions and giving foreign aide to every country on the planet who asked for it, China included. What's the real reason he didn't win the seat that he considered his birthright?


Canada has ALWAYS committed troops to peacekeeping missions. In fact it was Canada that invented peacekeeping. Enough of your revisionist history.

Canada also didn’t provide foreign aid to China.


Of course Canada has always committed troops to peackeeping missions but that's not what I said.

So, explain to me how my statement saying "after committing our troops to Peace Keeping missions" is revisionist history. Did or did not your PM commit troops to "peacekeeping missions" both currently active or new and if he didn't then explain the commitment of Canadian military personnel to Burkina Faso, Mali, Operation Calumet, Operation Artemis etc etc etc.

Here's a list of ongoing current Canadian military missions and I'm pretty sure that the Harper gov't hasn't sent a draft to any of them since 2015. So as much as you don't want to believe it's the Trudeau Gov't that's sending our troops to these fun filled holiday places........................ it is.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-nat ... /list.html

As for your claim that Canada didn't give "foreign aide" to China well allow me to set you straight on that. You're right it wasn't technically foreign aide because that would have been illegal so the gov't used a loophole to give money to the country they seem to admires the most. ROTFL

https://www.international.gc.ca/world-m ... x?lang=eng

And do you know why we're giving them money for local initiative in China that isn't being called foreign aide like it would be for other country? It's because that evil evil Harper cut direct foreign aide to China in 2014.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/po ... e10027589/


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1552
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:06 am
 


Scape wrote:
Great take. Way to much reliance on muslim votes from dictatorships and not enough support for actual democratic states.
I disagree.
I think it is a bad take because it presupposes falsehoods.

Nevertheless, it is still all good news because it will re-inforce the delusion of wanting or even needing a UN "seat" in international bullshit affairs!
Canuckletards must unquestioningly pay more for foreign "aid" to the benefit of all the capitalists!


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: llama66, Thanos and 25 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.