Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:57 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
herbie herbie:
The Saturn turns on the low beam as soon as you shift to drive, but as I found out later from a cop, not the taillights.

Both of my Fords have an 'Auto' setting, that turns the headlights and tail lights on when it gets dark enough, or I turn the wipers on for 10 seconds.

I set it when I bought the cars, and haven't changed them since. Every car should have this function. It's not rocket surgery.

This. Every car built now should have automatic lights.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:22 pm

but.. but.. how can you sneak down the street and do a drive-by?
our freedoms!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:50 am

Why do people insist on making this so very complicated? Get rid of all the options all lights should turn on and off with the engine. Save so many problems! I hate being surprised in fog by some idiots that don’t have their lights on especially when they are driving a grey car. It gets lost in the fog way to easily

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:51 am

What I've said. Lights come on when ignition is on and Drive selected. Pretty simple!
Or MVA regs to always drive with lights on. I was used to that as a company rule and made anyone driving one of my company's truck do it too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:00 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
The title is misleading, as the federal government has no jurisdiction over vehicular operations, that falls under each province to manage and it is already illegal in most provinces to drive without your lights on.

Having said that, it's good to see that manufacturing loophole being closed at the federal level to try and reduce the number of idiots who think their daytime running lights are good enough in a blizzard or fog or at night.

Education would help. My dad had no idea that there was a difference between daytime running lights and headlights.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:05 pm

I have my lights on auto but I turn them when it’s raining or foggy. Grey day grey road rain and splash tail lights are a good thing! Not sure why they don’t turn on with daytime running lights but they are needed in rain and fog!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:07 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
bootlegga bootlegga:
The title is misleading, as the federal government has no jurisdiction over vehicular operations, that falls under each province to manage and it is already illegal in most provinces to drive without your lights on.

Having said that, it's good to see that manufacturing loophole being closed at the federal level to try and reduce the number of idiots who think their daytime running lights are good enough in a blizzard or fog or at night.

Education would help. My dad had no idea that there was a difference between daytime running lights and headlights.

True that. Way back when I was learning to drive my parents put me in Young Drivers where the instructors drilled it into my head: after you start your car, turn your lights on even if you have DRL.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:21 pm

xerxes xerxes:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
bootlegga bootlegga:

True that. Way back when I was learning to drive my parents put me in Young Drivers where the instructors drilled it into my head: after you start your car, turn your lights on even if you have DRL.

When I started to drive, we didn't wear seat belts, we didn't have airbags and turning your lights on during the day was for pussies. If you did turn them on, every other driver would honk at you for being an idiot. :evil:

I learned to drive (without a license) from friends and family and drove every farm machine there was.

Best advice I got was to only have 1 beer with you while driving and keep the rest in the trunk. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:51 pm

My friend learned that way too. But forgot the part about tossing your empties out the window. The assholes at the roadblock got him, he only had ONE beer (a tallboy) in his hand and three empties rolling around on the floor.
Complained that he got an instant roadside suspension and $600 worth of impound fees... perhaps he preferred a criminal record like the good old days.

I really do have a thing about DRLs. The hicks here DO drive a lot of 30 year old pickups. And usually have 3 or 4 more for parts growing into their lawn as ornaments.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:58 pm

Great regulation it’s only a decade or 2 overdue. Idiots driving at night with no lights or withDRLs only has been a longtime pet peeve. And as someone who has light-sensing headlights, I’ve more than once been the clueless idiot myself when driving someone else’s car that doesn’t have sensors and I forget to turn them on.

I’ve always wondered why DRLs never included tail lights or blacked out the dashboard. Better yet why have DRLS or sensing lights at all? Why not just make it so if the car is in gear, full headlights and tail lights are on. Period. Unless you’re a gangster doing a drive-by there’s no reason for the vehicle to have leas than full headlights and taillights when it’s in motion.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:00 pm

Rare and precious BeavFeve sighting! Welcome back, hoss! [B-o]

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:06 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Great regulation it’s only a decade or 2 overdue. Idiots driving at night with no lights or withDRLs only has been a longtime pet peeve. And as someone who has light-sensing headlights, I’ve more than once been the clueless idiot myself when driving someone else’s car that doesn’t have sensors and I forget to turn them on.

I’ve always wondered why DRLs never included tail lights or blacked out the dashboard. Better yet why have DRLS or sensing lights at all? Why not just make it so if the car is in gear, full headlights and tail lights are on. Period. Unless you’re a gangster doing a drive-by there’s no reason for the vehicle to have leas than full headlights and taillights when it’s in motion.

Wow where the hell have you been? Its been a while. Any ways good to see you again. Hope you are well. Lord knows this site has needed you......badly I might add. Hope you stick around for a while this time.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:57 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

(Good to see you!)

DRLs only run at 50% - 75% of normal intensity, so that intensity of tail lights is so low that on a normal day they are basically impossible to see. Unless they are at 100%. Which means the vehicle is stopping, which would not be helpful. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:50 am

Well sometime around thanksgiving last year I accidentally stumbled onto another forum where I saw Fiddle and a couple other former CKAers but it was infested with angry right wing trolls and juveniles that and I got sucked into so many endless idiotic online arguments and conspiracy theories I decided I just needed to take a break from it all. Working from home with house to myself this past year and half it’s been too easy to spend way too much time on this.

On the plus side, I won a bet with a Trump election conspiracist who was certain Biden would not be inaugurated onJan 20. Upon losing he kept his word and donated $100 to Breonna Taylors GoFundMe (verified with screenshots and donation appears under his forum username) Turned out to be a nice guy and a gentleman but he disappeared right after that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:20 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
bootlegga bootlegga:

You're 100% right about that, but education campaigns are expensive because the dinosaurs who need to hear them often don't use social media (if they do, not very much), so you need to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a month's worth of traditional media like radio ads or billboards. Reaching young people on social media is much, much cheaper.

And with so many provinces running deep in the red for the past couple years, they'd rather spend their ad dollars on touting their latest jobs program or tax cut.