canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:06 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=19262" target="_blank">Canada's Conservatives rise in popularity: poll</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=News_Links&file=category&catid=1" target="_blank">Political</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=tritium" target="_blank">tritium</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2007-02-20 11:05:13
<strong>Canadian</strong>

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Canada's Conservatives are getting more popular, a poll showed on Tuesday, strengthening the minority government's chances of victory if it were to call an early election in the spring.

I see an easy win for Harper.

Liberals cry: "it's not fair" :)

Latest poll shows Dion, Liberals losing support

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:47 pm

Of course Harper is getting more popular...How many millions of dollars has he promised various groups in the last couple of months.

Insofar as the Liberals they elected the WRONG leader. The guy changes his stance more times than I change my underwear.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:49 pm

PJB PJB:
Of course Harper is getting more popular...How many millions of dollars has he promised various groups in the last couple of months.

Insofar as the Liberals they elected the WRONG leader. The guy changes his stance more times than I change my underwear.

Translation:

"it's not fair"

:D

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:06 pm

Well They were elected with just over 36% so anything less is not much to cheer about. But it looks like the Greens are doing pretty good and could possibly surpass the NDP in support and are actually ahead of the Bloc.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:14 pm

tritium tritium:
Canada's Conservatives are getting more popular, a poll showed on Tuesday, strengthening the minority government's chances of victory if it were to call an early election in the spring.

I see an easy win for Harper.

Liberals cry: "it's not fair" :)

Latest poll shows Dion, Liberals losing support

let them cry [laughat]

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:25 pm

Ahhh...When it comes down to it no matter who is in power they will still suck up to Quebec. TROC will continue to take it up the arse.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:26 pm

won't matter. liberals are the natural ruling party of Canada. the conservative vote was just and check/balance. see you at the polls!

Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:27 pm

As long as nobody gets too comfortable and keeps working for our approval, we're at least on the right track. Politicians should never have job security.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:12 pm

$1:
But it looks like the Greens are doing pretty good and could possibly surpass the NDP in support and are actually ahead of the Bloc.

EXCELLENT IMO. If NDP and le Bloc support is bleeding off to the Green Party and not to the LIberals that is excellent news for Harper. PUts him in the driver's seat. R=UP

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:14 pm

Saskanna Saskanna:
$1:
But it looks like the Greens are doing pretty good and could possibly surpass the NDP in support and are actually ahead of the Bloc.

EXCELLENT IMO. If NDP and le Bloc support is bleeding off to the Green Party and not to the LIberals that is excellent news for Harper. PUts him in the driver's seat. R=UP

Hopefully he keeps his eyes on the road. Kinda doubt it tho'

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:18 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
Well They were elected with just over 36% so anything less is not much to cheer about. But it looks like the Greens are doing pretty good and could possibly surpass the NDP in support and are actually ahead of the Bloc.

Everyone is ahead of the Bloc in National Polls.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:40 pm

Curiously, the numbers in those pics are different to the numbers reported in the Globe an Mail's article on the poll where they state the Cons at 32% and Libs at 30%.

Note the Ontario and Quebec numbers.

Harper dismisses election talk despite new polls

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Stephen Harper dismissed speculation he might be eager to force an election after new polls Tuesday suggested his Conservatives had taken a lead in public opinion.

A new Decima survey indicated that the Tories had made modest gains for two straight weeks and held a two-percentage-point lead over the Liberals, who had been ahead for months.

A poll produced by the Strategic Counsel for The Globe and Mail-CTV News also found good numbers for Mr. Harper and the Conservatives – with an overwhelming number saying he is the most decisive federal leader with the clearest vision for where he wants to take the country.

”These numbers are good enough that I would start my election preparedness in earnest,” said Allan Gregg, chairman of The Strategic Counsel. ”I would say, looking at this, something untoward would have to happen for him not to call it.”

While the Decima results fall within the 3.1-per-cent margin of error, they reflect a pro-Tory trend detected in several recent surveys.

At a news conference, Mr. Harper was invited to name any issue – such as the environment or changes to anti-terror legislation – so important to his government that he would label it a confidence matter.

He did not mention any and noted simply that the coming federal budget is obviously a life-and-death matter for the government.

”My view is that we should keep governing, keep getting things done for Canadians,” Mr. Harper told a news conference alongside Microsoft founder Bill Gates.

”I don't think Canadians want an election, I'm in no hurry to have an election. I simply want to see us move forward.”

Mr. Harper made the announcement after he and Mr. Gates announced money for HIV initiatives. The government will invest up to $111-million and Mr. Gates's Bill and Melissa Gates Foundation will pump up to $28-million more into vaccine research.

The latest public-opinion polls place the Tories well shy of the 40 per cent needed to gain a majority government, but also suggest that the Conservatives have momentum on their side and have overtaken the Liberals.

Decima's results, provided exclusively to the Canadian Press, place the Conservatives at 32 per cent and the Liberals at 30 per cent. The NDP was at 15 per cent, the Green party was at 11 per cent and the Bloc Quebecois was at nine per cent nationally.

In Ontario, the poll suggested that the Liberals held a 10 percentage point lead – 40 per cent to 30 per cent for the Tories, while the NDP was at 17 per cent and the Greens were at 12 per cent.

In Quebec, the Bloc Québécois were at 37 per cent, the Liberals were at 25 per cent and the Tories were at 17 per cent. The Greens were at 8 per cent and the NDP was at seven.

Decima CEO Bruce Anderson said the Bloc's support is significantly lower than it was before the last election.

”So far, the Liberals appear to be the most likely beneficiaries of softening BQ support,” Mr.Anderson said.

”But there is the prospect of some three-way splits (with the Tories) developing (in some Quebec ridings) that are impossible to predict at this stage.”

The Decima survey of 1,000 Canadians was conducted between Feb. 15 to 18, and has a 3.1 percentage point margin of error 19 times in 20.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:48 pm

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Depending on how the poll was conducted and by whom, the numbers will be different. Take all polls with a grain of salt and think critically about it. The Globe and Mail showing a dead heat for the Cons and Libs? Go figure. Bias is everywhere, be aware.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:58 pm

Numure Numure:
Clogeroo Clogeroo:

Everyone is ahead of the Bloc in National Polls.

The Bloc isn't really a national party so I don't think that's a relevant comparison anyway. I doubt much of Quebec is Conservative.