bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
The problem with judging the past with a 21st century lens is that in 300-400 years people will be looking through a 24th-25th century lens at some of OUR actions and ideals and wondering wtf we were thinking.

We'll be long extinct by then. Killed by our own stupidity.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
I wonder how many “old money” families first made their fortunes using slave labour and todat say “bitwhat does any of this have to do with me?”

Coming from a family that endured forced labor under British rule I agree with those people. I'm not asking for any kind of apology or reparations from people who never enslaved anyone.

And besides, the behavior was legal at the time.

By example I remember when Ecstasy (the drug) was legal in the 1980's and advertised in magazines and sold through the mail.

I don't want any of those people prosecuted or sanctioned for what was then lawful behavior.

Likewise this bullshit about slavery in the past needs to go away so we can focus on the slavery that is taking place in the present.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:55 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
I wonder how many “old money” families first made their fortunes using slave labour and todat say “bitwhat does any of this have to do with me?”

Coming from a family that endured forced labor under British rule I agree with those people. I'm not asking for any kind of apology or reparations from people who never enslaved anyone.

By example I remember when Ecstasy (the drug) was legal in the 1980's and advertised in magazines and sold through the mail.

I don't want any of those people prosecuted or sanctioned for what was then lawful behavior.

Likewise this bullshit about slavery in the past needs to go away so we can focus on the slavery that is taking place in the present.

Too inconvenient. We need to make everyone feel like a bag of shit for something that happened long before they were born. Modern People don't confront the problems before us, we deflect to the issues we thought we put behind us. I feel like we need to tear down a statue or erase some inconvenient chapter in history.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:00 am

llama66 llama66:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Too inconvenient. We need to make everyone feel like a bag of shit for something that happened long before they were born. Modern People don't confront the problems before us, we deflect to the issues we thought we put behind us. I feel like we need to tear down a statue or erase some inconvenient chapter in history.

Oooo I know. Tommy Douglas was vehemently anti-gay, to the point he thought they all should be lobotomized. Let's erase everything connected to him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:44 am

llama66 llama66:
If it was 19th Century, then it was probably New France, and as the name implies, not at all Canada. Canada has no history of slavery. Slavery was banned in the Empire in 1833. Canada became a nation in 1867. Any slavery in the New World was an act of our old mother countries.

According to the only actual written literature the CBC references this occurred in the 16 and 17 hundreds between Gaspe and Detroit.

So here's what I hear the CBC telling me over in British Columbia...

"Remember how you used to be proud of your British ancestors for banning slavery in 1833 and saving black slaves from the southern states of America?

Well forget about that cause this just in...

There may have been as many as 1100 black slaves throughout the 16th and 17 hundreds in Quebec. In fact here's a black activist in African garb to tell you what she imagines they felt.

Be ashamed."

Go fuck youself CBC.

Last edited by N_Fiddledog on Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:54 am

Fuck am I just about done with all this revisionist bullshittery.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:34 am

llama66 llama66:
Fuck am I just about done with all this revisionist bullshittery.

Be like me. Refuse to apologize for things that I didn't do, that occurred before I was born.

Yup. People as property was a bad idea. I feel for people that had to go through that. But I didn't do it.

I just see this as an interesting look back at those people who did perpetuate the idea of slavery. They were pretty fucked up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:40 am

I don't apologize for shit I didn't do.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:56 am

llama66 llama66:
I don't apologize for shit I didn't do.

I've never seen you, so I believe that. Now, take it a step further. Stop giving a shit about what other people blame us for. Then the 'revisionist bullshittery' ceases to matter. Getting angry about it only gives them credibility, and motivation to continue.

Put your feet up, and watch the world burn!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:13 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Put your feet up, and watch the world burn!

Good idea Doc. The world keeps on turning.