bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:40 pm

wildrosegirl wildrosegirl:
Makes no difference to me. It's January. I live in Alberta. It's not a shocker. :lol:

^This.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:46 pm

Wtf? Since when did cold temps, ice storms and/or less than 2 ft of snow in one falling qualify as "significant winter weather" in Canada? Maybe if it was June or something.

Next thing you know they'll start getting all freaked out cuz it snowed on some 13,000ft mountain in Hawaii...oh uhhhh never mind.

Jesus, I'd hate to see the lamestream media's reaction if they ever cottoned on to the fact that there are palm trees near the northern tip of Scotland.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:53 pm

Well, the media I watch just reports on the upcoming weather unless it really is a major event - like the windstorms we had here recently that cause many power outages and flooding.

What I find funny is that the deniers on this forum breathlessly report every minor report of cold weather in winter like the supposed snowmaggeddon that was supposed to his Vancouver, yet it's still all green out there, but the unusually warm winter weather events like the east had recently are studiously ignored.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:25 pm

andyt andyt:
Well, the media I watch just reports on the upcoming weather unless it really is a major event - like the windstorms we had here recently that cause many power outages and flooding.

What I find funny is that the deniers on this forum breathlessly report every minor report of cold weather in winter like the supposed snowmaggeddon that was supposed to his Vancouver, yet it's still all green out there, but the unusually warm winter weather events like the east had recently are studiously ignored.

Yep, because a couple or so days of unseasonably warm weather in winter is obviously a major problem. Oh wait, no it isn't. I still remember a couple of winters in the 70s where there was 3-4 day stretches of 60-65 degree temps in January/early February. Hell, we were out in our shorts fer cryin' out loud.
Ironically, that's also when those in the climate sciences were telling us we were heading for another ice age.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:06 am

What's a "special statements" in regards to weather reporting?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:59 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
I
Oh, well. You got a Monday car. While I was driving around my Sube for 300,000 kms, I spent about $4000 over the 10 year life of the thing. That's all. My wife was driving a series of GM junkers at the same time and they cost each about $2000 PER YEAR to keep on the road. Total crap and that was the last straw for me buying Americans. Never again will I waste another nickel on cars designed to extract the brass from your pocket and nothing more.

They should have let GM die when they had the chance. Otherwise, Darwin was wrong.

Yeah $2000 a year was about right for that Subaru. And the service was--bar none--the worst I've ever experienced from any car company. Yes, Friday afternoon shift car--it doesn't seem to be common for Subaru. Blown head gasket at less than 100K. Not covered. That was just the start. Most people are happy with them. I hope you never experience it.

Anyways happy with my Honda Odyseey now. Man does that thing take a beating.

I drive a Honda these days, too. It doesn't have to take a "tough road" beating but it needs to be fuel efficient because I drive 45,000 km per year. No problems AT ALL with that vehicle (but the Subaru was the same for me, as well)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:07 am

stratos stratos:
What's a "special statements" in regards to weather reporting?

Environment Canada is a government department that is roughly equivalent to your NOAA, EPA and National Parks system all rolled into one. They have a four tiered weather warning system:

Type of Alerts

The type of alert used depends on the severity and timing of the event:
Special Weather Statements are the least urgent type of alert and are issued to let people know that conditions are unusual and could cause concern.
Advisories are issued for specific weather events (like blowing snow, fog, freezing drizzle and frost) that are less severe, but could still significantly impact Canadians.
Watches alert you about weather conditions that are favourable for a storm or severe weather, which could cause safety concerns.
•As certainty increases about the path and strength of a storm system, a watch may be upgraded to a Warning, which is an urgent message that severe weather is either occurring or will occur. Warnings are usually issued six to 24 hours in advance, although some severe weather (such as thunderstorms and tornadoes) can occur rapidly, with less than a half hour’s notice.

These alerts are updated regularly so that members of the public can stay on top of a developing situation and take the appropriate action.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/defau ... C9A8D735-1

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:53 am

Special Weather Statement.......Next week there will be NO weather.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:37 am

Everything is a sheet of ice. Rain all night and temps just below freezing. Should be a fun drive going to get groceries today. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:42 am

It's colder than a witch's tit here. Just got off covering for another no show, and the temp was -32 with a -40 windchill.....it's warmed up a bit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:04 am

There is now a lake in my back yard.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:12 am

There is here too.....only it's under a couple feet of ice.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:30 am

Freezing rain here, about 1" of ice over everything.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:32 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Everything is a sheet of ice. Rain all night and temps just below freezing. Should be a fun drive going to get groceries today. :lol:

Well if you're going out anyway, I need eggs! :lol: