canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:24 am

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=22353" target="_blank">Canadian kids get a D in health</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/news/topic/19-health" target="_blank">Health</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=canucker" target="_blank">canucker</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2007-06-28 00:41:59
<strong>Canadian</strong>

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:24 am

I got an F-...

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:40 am

$1:
Kids aged 10 to 16 are spending six hours a day in front of the screen, from TV to computers to videogames, the report found. Obesity rates have also soared 35.7% in children between 2003 and 2006.

Well, I'm not 10 or 16, but that sounds like my daily routine most of the time. While they gain weight and become Obese by playing games and such , i'm sitting my ass on the sofa doing the same thing and lose weight. I'm an exception to the study...

I think i'm with you too Mr. C. Also got an F- :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:45 am

Dosenbier Dosenbier:
$1:
Kids aged 10 to 16 are spending six hours a day in front of the screen, from TV to computers to videogames, the report found. Obesity rates have also soared 35.7% in children between 2003 and 2006.

Well, I'm not 10 or 16, but that sounds like my daily routine most of the time. While they gain weight and become Obese by playing games and such , i'm sitting my ass on the sofa doing the same thing and lose weight. I'm an exception to the study...

Long Live High Metabolism! ;)

I could eat a horse and I would lose the 5 pounds of weight I'd gain just by sweating while playing NHL 07.

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:55 am

You're just like me then...least i'm not the only one.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:02 am

ESPN's 2K7 is way better.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:41 am

Dosenbier Dosenbier:
$1:

Haha same. My damned matabolism is so high I burn every single thing I eat.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:48 am

:lol: just wait until you are past 25 ;-)

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:51 am

Brenda Brenda:

Hence why I'll enjoy the few years I have till then by sitting on my ass :P

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:16 am

LOL to funny Kal, one day it will catch up with you.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:24 am

Scrappy Scrappy:

Shhh.... If I ignor it, it won't happen :wink:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:01 am

Just because you look thin or have a high metabolism that doesn't automatically mean you are healthy. If you do not exercise you are no better than an obese person you just don't look like one. You still have all the risks of diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure. Not to mention if you have small bones the risk of osteoporosis is there and not keeping them strong could hurt you later on. A proper diet of food and exercise is needed for every person no matter what you look like.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:30 am

There are some people labelled 'obese' that are healthier than slim people.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:38 am

Brenda Brenda:

I was lucky and my metabolism didn't show signs of slowing down until I was in my 30's. Maybe it had something to do with being physically active EVERY day. Now that I'm in my 40's, I really have to watch my diet because I can't PT my ass like I could when I was in my 20's.

That being said, I feel the Canadian medical systems biggest problem in the next few years will obesity and heart disease due to the extremely low level of physical fitness in todays children. My 17 year old son did a physical fitness test at school which included push ups, sit-ups, chin-ups and a shuttle run and revealed the following averages,

Push-Ups; 8! (I think I can do more with a broken arm one handed!) he did 87!
Sit-Ups; 12 (Not even worth a comment) he did 75.
Chin-Ups; 1 (No that is not a typo, almost half couldn't do 1 chin-up) he did 24.
Shuttle Run; level 3. he made it to 12.

Folks, those numbers are absolutely atrocious. Those of us who have children should pay heed. Kick them off the computer, away from the TV, buy them a football, baseball glove, hockey stick and get them involved with something. Your kid isn't coordinated? Take them jogging.(Yes that means you)

Both me and my son run daily, lift weights, and play sports. It works, it keeps yourself and your kids healthy and gets you away from the wife for a few hours a day! 8O (Just kidding, she actually joins us on the runs!)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:43 am

Scrappy Scrappy:

Yep it did.....

Took up the martial arts again after a 15 year layoff, took me a year to get back to a normal weight.