canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:42 am

The Muslim soldiers will be forced to wear DND issue Yarmulke, the Christians: Sikh turbans, Female personnel the Hijab unless they are Muslim. This new, cross-cultural approach will promote peace and understanding during battlefield deployments.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:53 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
The Unification was in 1968. As I recall, the Greens didn't reach the Navy until, maybe, around the time that they paid off the Bonnie in 1970 but I could easily be wrong.

It was a half century ago, man!

Half a century ago 8O

Seems like yesterday. ROTFL

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:01 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
It's social engineering designed for a specific purpose and is used to instill a group mentality plain and simple. What's happening now is social engineering designed to accommodate the lowest common denominator and make some personnel "different but equal" to others.

Ok so you’re ok with “social engineering” as long as its for an agenda you agree with.

On a technical point, “lowest common denominator” isn’t the right term here. That term applies to something that is universally shared by everyone. For example, writing instructions in simple language so that it can be easily understood by everyone would be “appealing to the lowest common denominator”. Catering to minorities who are different from the rest of society is the opposite of appealing to the lowest common denominator.

$1:
And for the record it won't work now just like it didn't work before when they mandated that Sikhs could wear turbans, natives could wear long hair and women could serve at sea. There was no great rush to beat down the doors by any of these groups that the gov't had tried so hard to accommodate by giving them special privileges.

Yeah I don’t imagine there would be, the inclination towards social/cultural non-conformity doesn’t naturally group with the inclination towards military service. I think you’ll never have more than the odd exception who requests accommodation.

That said, I see cops in turbans all the time in Toronto, nobody seems to notice or care anymore although I imagine it was a big deal at the time it was first introduced. RCMP has allowed turbans since 1990. It was a national controversy at the time but nearly 30 years later nobody cares.

$1:
So, my statement stands about animal farming the military by people who will never wear a uniform or understand the mindset that being one, in dress, thought, tradition and purpose bring.

Let’s see what exactly the change is. It might not be as drastic as you think.

Yup, I do agree with social engineering to achieve a goal that benefits a specific institution. What I'm not in favour of is people who have no actual interest or true understanding of that institution making changes to it just to garner support for their own political agenda's.

So, like you said, we'll just wait and see what weird and wonderful things the Liberals come up with this time, to try and entice more minorities to enlist. But, if past history is any indicator it'll be radical, disruptive and generally reviled by the rank and file military personnel.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:15 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:

So, I was in the Navy in the 1970's just after the unification. The old Navy "blues" were a bit fiddly, a bit too British and were sort of obsolete. The wool great coats were really good in winter. The work dungerees were vastly superior to anything that has yet to replaced them. The downside is that they were natural cotton fabric and therefore required a bit of effort to keep them looking reasonable. Lots of upsides to that cotton, though. It breathes better and feels good on your skin. It doesn't catch fire. It smolders when it's dry but if you have to fight a fire in polyester, you run the real risk of bursting into a petrochemical-fuelled blaze, yourself. Cotton dungerees, wetted by a fog nozzle are like armour against that fire that you MUST fight. Also, polyester traps grease, oil, DIESEL and it binds with the fibre and you never seem to get rid of it rubbing against your skin. It's hot when you're hot and fecking cold when it's cold. It keeps it's "press" though but that isn't a good trade off for me. I had an old, blue cotyon RCN boiler suit that I lived in. The Chief ERAs hated the greens too and never bothered me for it.

The "Seven-Up delivery man green" dress uniform was ... inert. The idea of wearing rifles green on a ship didn't bother young me. It was a really easy uniform to maintain and you didn't have to spend hours ironing to keep from getting into shit. If you were "guards" or shore patrol, you still wore the traditional naval white gaiters and webbing over it, anyway. The berets were a definite inmprovement over the old Seaman's "port-and-starboard cap. The peaked cap was okay ... not distinctly of any service, although the anchor crest was a dead give-away. We had ball caps, too but they were crap and identical to the one that the guy driving his combine in Saskatchewan was wearing. We wore our berets. The modern Navy does the identification part far better than what we were issued, way back at the height of the Cold War.

I wore the square rig when I joined in the late 60's and still have my #2's minus the Scully hanging in my closet along with the Navy Black uniform medals, badges and black gaiters included that I wore when I got out. I've also got my silk, lanyard and 2 collars with the creases still ironed in. But, when I went to put in on a couple of years ago it had shrunk so badly that I couldn't even get the jumper over my shoulders and the pants looked like they'd fit a 12 year old boy. 8O

That green abomination was burned when we went back to a distinctive Naval uniform so you're preaching to the choir but, unless my mind is shot unification was Feb 01 1968 not in the 70's.

Back on topic. Unfortunately this uniform change is being done for a much more nefarious purpose and has nothing to do with Esprit Des Corp and everything to do with accommodating minorities by making them feel special in the vain hope they'll join the military and make it the multicultural, multisexual, tolerant, peacekeeping group of Boy Scouts that Jean Chretien wanted rather than the warriors they're really trained to be. All this policy is going to do is create equal but separate groups within the military based on race, religion and sexual orientation while diminishing any real hard earned medals, awards and uniform accouterments.

That does not bode well for unit cohesion.

The question came up about how long after the unification fiasco the Navy seitcyed to wearing "Greens" from " Blues". I remembered that the Blues lasted into the 1970s. I stumbled upon footage from HMCS Saguenay of the burial at sea of some of the victims of the reduction gear box explosion on Kooteney in the English Channel in September 1969. They're still in old rigs.

http://youtu.be/9EALdoe7gsg

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:29 am

The Canadian military is now reorganizing itself to be more welcoming to women and minorities?

Maybe if they stop buying all those nasty ships, planes, and tanks they'll be able to afford more effective social programs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:52 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
The Canadian military is now reorganizing itself to be more welcoming to women and minorities?

Maybe if they stop buying all those nasty ships, planes, and tanks they'll be able to afford more effective social programs.

The Canadian Navy is seriously undermanned ... by about 10% right now and if you are able, ... why not?