canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:03 pm

You are right to be concerned and such issues should garner a proper review of a scrupulous eye. However, is it to scale of the monster that is "the belief that America should seek to preserve and extend its position of global leadership by maintaining the preeminence of U.S. military forces"? PNAC is the reason why the US became the world cop. Afghanistan was simply an extension of that. So is Spaceforce.

This hovered up Trillions of dollars over decades. It's the reason why we can't have nice things. It's the same lie they used to sell us a missile shield here in Canada. You won't see Maher do a monologue on that though. Bullshit walks and money talks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:22 pm

Two weeks in a row Maher's commented that the only ones happy about Afghanistan are the salesmen who got rich selling the war to the American and allied governments. Maher is no friend of the military-industrial complex and he regularly speaks out for cutting military budget to invest those billions into health, education, infrastructure, and social programs.

You need to watch the show to see what Maher is actually saying, not some clip on YouTube of some woke hack with a grudge "saying what Maher's REALLY saying". I've watched the show for years and I simply don't know where your information is coming from because I've never seen him say any of that you say he is. It's a distortion along the lines of what happens on Twitter that because Real Time has guests like Ben Shapiro, Ralph Reed, Bari Weiss, Andrew Sullivan, or Jordan Peterson on then "that must mean Maher's a fascist too".

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:08 pm

Are we watching the same show? Maher taking a piss on the politically revelent is his bread and butter. That's the entire format of the show. So him taking a shot at the military industrial complex isn't off brand for him. The point we were discussing was (and this is a theme he has brought up on his show time and time again) is when he isn't making fun of millennials he making fun of woke politics but I don't think he would give a toss about it for real.

You see him platforming Jordan Peterson and Milo Yiannopoulos but you havn't seen him Platform someone like Sterling:

Think Maher would give a toss about Nazi's running the online game streaming service called Twitch that is owned by Jeff Bezo's? I wouldn't hold my breath.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:16 pm

The show is on one night a week for an hour. They barely have time to discuss real issues, much less devote any valuable minutes to some self-promoting irrelevancy on YouTube or Twitter making an ass out of themselves. The YouTube voices aren't important, period. And when Milo went on Real Time he also got shredded by Larry Wilmore, just like Shapiro got nailed by Malcolm Nance the other week. The liberals and moderate leftist guests aren't told to hold back on a right-wing panel member on Real Time. Maher is polite to the righties and allows them to talk but he also makes it entirely clear that he disagrees with just about every single bit of bullshit that passes for conservative "thought & philosophy" these days. Which is why the FOX News types and most of the other truly malicious right-wing shits stay away from Maher altogether - they know they aren't going to get coddled or not be directly challenged on what they're pushing.

Might be time to put an end to this as we obviously won't meet in the middle. I categorically reject everything you've said about Bill Maher and Real Time. If that makes me a "fan" then so be it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:22 pm

When was the last time Maher had Obama on? I remember him prostrating himself on his own show during his 60th birthday begging him to show up on his show before he left office. This is where Maher true allegiance lies, power.

Maher NEEDS right wing pundits on his show they don't need him for legitimacy.

Agree to disagree I still see him as much of a shill to the elites as the MSN.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:29 pm

Like I said, my part in this is over. You're just wrong and doubling-down on it too.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:27 pm

If you say so. He may not be an outright stenographer to power like the MSM but his editorials masquerading as stand up has not struck home in a LONG time. He may have guests on to show him what controversies are but he has lost his edge.

I don't need my political satire fed to me by a corporate lap dog. He has become as funny as Dennis Miller.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:05 am

For everyone here who thinks Canada was the only nation to screw the pooch - as the chart shows, we've airlifted out more than France (larger power than us) and most other 'medium powers'.

The evacuation certainly should have started sooner and been better organized, but we've done pretty well all things considered I'd say.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:35 pm

So we are a very tall midget then. Bravo!

Yes, we are a little less shit then the rest but we should have done far more with the time and manpower we had.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:37 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:08 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:37 pm

Scape Scape:
So we are a very tall midget then. Bravo!

Yes, we are a little less shit then the rest but we should have done far more with the time and manpower we had.

The point is despite your criticism, Canada did pull its weight in helping people flee after the shit hit the fan once the Afghan government collapsed.

And yes, Trudeau/Sajjan could have ordered Canadian troops to go out into Kabul to rescue people, but that would have put their lives at risk too.

We did the best we could with the resources we had - or are you suggesting we should have airlifted a battalion or two in to rescue more people? Because that option was essentially impossible without massive support from the US, which was already stretched doing what it did.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:42 pm

Cramming for exams works for some people, others like to spread it out over time.

WE HAD NO PLAN AND YEARS TO DO IT.

We could have, 7 years ago, pulled out ALL of our assets but instead we just grabbed out troops and gear and left the people who helped us to fend for themselves. We said they could apply for residency but the requirement we put in place were so stringent and laughably bureaucratic is was assumed we didn't want them to even apply. The bare minimum is not good enough.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:21 pm

Canada Refugee Statistics

We took in 20k with no means for them to get here. Looking at the chart over the last 7 years we had more then enough room to get them here if it really was a priority.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:11 pm

Scape Scape:
Cramming for exams works for some people, others like to spread it out over time.

WE HAD NO PLAN AND YEARS TO DO IT.

We could have, 7 years ago, pulled out ALL of our assets but instead we just grabbed out troops and gear and left the people who helped us to fend for themselves. We said they could apply for residency but the requirement we put in place were so stringent and laughably bureaucratic is was assumed we didn't want them to even apply. The bare minimum is not good enough.

You're correct, we could have done much more after we left in 2011, but we didn't (and were forced to do as much as humanly possible in the last few months).

Harper could have let more interpreters in as refugees.

Kenney could have prioritized it when he was defence minister.

Trudeau and Sajjan could have done more after they got elected in 2015.

However, the only criticism I've seen from you in this thread is for Trudeau. Why is that? As I said earlier, this is an epic failure on everyone's part, not just JT.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 7  8  9  10  11  12  Next