Date: 2021-05-04 23:16:04
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:22 pm

Awesome!

Always a good thing to see this shit stopped.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:00 am

Excellent! :rock:

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:42 am

Not so excellent. What a waste of fucking time for our military. That's the job of the police.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:55 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Not so excellent. What a waste of fucking time for our military. That's the job of the police.

when the funds will likely fund terrorism, it ain't too bad.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:00 am

Tricks Tricks:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Fair point. On the other hand they are contributing to deaths that far, far outweigh those of the current pandemic with the poisoned drug supply in BC. And I'm not a naturally suspicious person, but it makes me nervous when you sick your military on civilians, even if it's overseas.

For me:

Friends and family lost to COVID: 0
Friends and family lost to tainted drugs: 4

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:32 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Tricks Tricks:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Fair point. On the other hand they are contributing to deaths that far, far outweigh those of the current pandemic with the poisoned drug supply in BC. And I'm not a naturally suspicious person, but it makes me nervous when you sick your military on civilians, even if it's overseas.

For me:

Friends and family lost to COVID: 0
Friends and family lost to tainted drugs: 4

Sorry for your loss Zip.

While I agree that using the military against civilians is dicey at best, most Canadian police forces simply don't have the equipment or resources to interdict sea or air-based drug smuggling operations, which are often heavily armed and well equipped. This is one of the few times I'm support using the military for on the 'war on drugs'.

Having said that, I'd prefer if our warships were used to interdict pirates off he Horn of Africa instead.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:34 am

Seizing ships flagged from other countries in international waters is called piracy.
But it's now "good" in the name of the War On Drugs.
Just like torture is now good according to the War On Terror.

Lucky for us the War On Poverty faded away, or concentration camps for the poor would be normal.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:47 am

Government agencies love making a big deal out of intercepting drug shipments. They display the seized drugs on the deck or dock, and pose for pictures from the media. While this dog and pony show is going on, a thousand other shipments are making it to their destination. The people that do this for a living know that a certain amount of their product is going to be seized. The loss is already factored into the equation. They know the cost of doing business.

The government agency will brag about all the drugs that they seized and say: " we saved a lot of lives today!". Its all bullshit. They did not save any lives. No addict is going to stop using just because a shipment got seized. If enough shipments to one area get seized, than the cost of drugs in that area go up. Way up. Now the addict that could previously afford his fix now has to resort to crime to cover the cost. Property crimes and violent crimes go up in the area. Rival cartels from other areas (where drugs are plentiful) are tempted to move into areas where a squeeze is ongoing to fill the void. Now we have rival cartels fighting it out over control of the area while the local inhabitants are so much collateral damage. Just look at Mexico to see how well it goes for rival cartels to occupy the same turf.

Crime goes up. Murder rates go up. All this so some government agency can thump their chest, pat themselves on the back, and say "look at all the good that we are doing". Thanks but no thanks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:00 pm

rickc rickc:
Government agencies love making a big deal out of intercepting drug shipments. They display the seized drugs on the deck or dock, and pose for pictures from the media. While this dog and pony show is going on, a thousand other shipments are making it to their destination. The people that do this for a living know that a certain amount of their product is going to be seized. The loss is already factored into the equation. They know the cost of doing business.

The government agency will brag about all the drugs that they seized and say: " we saved a lot of lives today!". Its all bullshit. They did not save any lives. No addict is going to stop using just because a shipment got seized. If enough shipments to one area get seized, than the cost of drugs in that area go up. Way up. Now the addict that could previously afford his fix now has to resort to crime to cover the cost. Property crimes and violent crimes go up in the area. Rival cartels from other areas (where drugs are plentiful) are tempted to move into areas where a squeeze is ongoing to fill the void. Now we have rival cartels fighting it out over control of the area while the local inhabitants are so much collateral damage. Just look at Mexico to see how well it goes for rival cartels to occupy the same turf.

Crime goes up. Murder rates go up. All this so some government agency can thump their chest, pat themselves on the back, and say "look at all the good that we are doing". Thanks but no thanks.

What I've thought for many years.

Just legalize all drugs and put all efforts/money on education and treating addiction.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:11 pm

I’m surprised Mexico, for example, still co-operates at all in the war on drugs. Why kill each other in a hopeless attempt to stop people taking drugs in another country?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:25 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
I’m surprised Mexico, for example, still co-operates at all in the war on drugs. Why kill each other in a hopeless attempt to stop people taking drugs in another country?

Same for Columbia, Peru, hell pretty much all of Latin America. Whatever paltry amount Uncle Sam is paying these countries to fight the war on drugs could be made a million times over to just look the other way and let the cartels do their thing. It is said that Pablo Escobar offered to pay off his country's national debt of $10 billion to be exempted from any extradition treaty. They should have taken the money.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:37 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Everyone forgets about our poor Coast Guard. :(

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:53 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Stand behind the military, or feel free to stand in front of them. You can't have it both ways. Besides, police don't go to international waters for the most part. It's awesome to see our warships taking on drug runners and pirates.

PUNISH THY ENEMY! :rock:

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:21 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Everyone forgets about our poor Coast Guard. :(

Unlike the US Coast Guard, the Canadian Coast Guard is an unarmed civilian agency and therefore probably not the best group to interdict drug smugglers armed with assault rifles.

Their main roles are navigation, icebreaking, and search and rescue.