Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:28 am

In the US system, if you've got the money, you can get all the quality you can afford - ie pay privately for whatever you want. Very few people in the US are in a position to do that. The insurance companies, just as in our system, will try to keep costs down. If you've got Cadillac level of insurance, you'll get Chevrolet level of care, since the company has got to make a buck or a billion. If you're at HMO level, good luck with your Yugo. You want a steering wheel on that thing? That will be a slight upcharge. Actual use of the steering wheel also has a co-pay. Or you could just get catastrophic insurance. Basically skateboard level. You get what you pay for, which is nothing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:57 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:
Personally, if I have to choose between our more caring and decent society or the US model of individualism, I'll take ours everyday and twice on Sunday.

R=UP

And a lesson on what the Fraiser Institute is really all about as an added bonus!

I know exactly what I pay in Taxes, and with well placed contributions here and there I get to save plenty of money and keep my contributions under 35%. The 42% was obvious BS.

Yeah, the Fraser Institute is about as non-partisan as the Calgary/Edmonton/Toronto Sun or Toronto Star.

The Canadian Taxpayer Federation (CTF) is just as bad - former board members were Reform Party/Wildrose or even federal Conservatives (Jason Kenney as president at one time) and has zero ties with the Liberals, NDP or Greens...but yeah, they're non-partisan.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:17 am

jj2424 jj2424:
Let's not forget everything in Canada costs you 20 to 30% more despite taxes. PDT_Armataz_01_37 Even if it's made in Canada. Just think how much health care insurance you could buy with 8 or 9 grand a year! Much better quality then what you get in Canada.

Well the beauty of it is that you're free to leave. Then you don't have to apy a dime in Canadian taxes. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:43 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Whoppeee, free Health Care for everyone [cheer]

Someone should show this shower to the Americans like Michael Moore who keep espousing the fact that we have "Free Health Care" because it may come as a giant surprise to people like him that nothing in this world is free and of that 42% taxes we diligently pay a goodly portion goes to our supposedly free Health Care.

As noted, the Fraser Institute study is BS. Total Tax revenue as % of GDP is 30.7%

http://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?QueryId=21699

Also, given that the US has only run a balanced budget twice since WW2, I don't think we have anything to learn from them.

I didn't say we had anything to learn from them, all I said was that we don't have "FREE HEALTH CARE" like some rich obese people keep claiming. Unless of course you're one of the low or no income people and then you get free health care but for the rest of us it's paid for through your taxes.

Also don't get me wrong I think universal health care is the way to go but the problem I have with it is abuse of the system by doctors and patients that can't seem to comprehend that there is a finite amount of money people can afford to pay for this free stuff.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:10 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
jj2424 jj2424:
Let's not forget everything in Canada costs you 20 to 30% more despite taxes. PDT_Armataz_01_37 Even if it's made in Canada. Just think how much health care insurance you could buy with 8 or 9 grand a year! Much better quality then what you get in Canada.

Well the beauty of it is that you're free to leave. Then you don't have to apy a dime in Canadian taxes. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Despite all of the bad news, i still think that I'm getting my money's worth and that I am damn lucky to live in Canada, warts and all (and the country's warts, as well for that matter).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:36 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
Despite all of the bad news, i still think that I'm getting my money's worth and that I am damn lucky to live in Canada, warts and all (and the country's warts, as well for that matter).

Having spent quite a bit of my adult life in various second and third world countries has given me an even greater respect and thankfulness that I live in Canada, even with the ridiculous amount of taxes I pay and the government waste, at all levels, of those same tax dollars.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:37 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

For varying definitions of 'Quality'. Judging from the actual 'outcomes', the quality of care in the US is extremely variable, and only measures up to Canadian outcomes in certain areas. In General, Canadian health care gives more people better outcomes for less per capita costs. At least, if you believe the CIA World Fact Book, (and many other sources):

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... 2rank.html

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... 5rank.html

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... 8rank.html

Once again, your perception is not in line with reality.

10...9...8...7...6... Oh, sorry dude, that was just me counting down to when we are told that the poor showing by the U.S is due to the 100 000 000 illegal immigrants who all come with diseases and only live 48.7 years...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:54 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
jj2424 jj2424:

He already slinked off to the States and lives near Phoenix or something, but he's been having a hard time shaking that high school jock-level immaturity/aggression towards anything Canadian.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:34 am

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
jj2424 jj2424:

He already slinked off to the States and lives near Phoenix or something, but he's been having a hard time shaking that high school jock-level immaturity/aggression towards anything Canadian.

says the pot head lifetime convenience store clerk. :lol:

When you run your own business (other then pot sales) we can talk.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:48 am

If I inherited a business jj, I'd give it up just to skip the enlightenment you think you can offer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:53 am

Inherited :lol: that would be the only way for you.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 am

If I inherited a business jj, I'd give it up just to skip the enlightenment you think you can offer.

What he could offer would fit into a thimble with room left over.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:14 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:

retired = unemployed (lifetime welfare bum)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:59 am

jj2424 jj2424:
Inherited :lol: that would be the only way for you.

It would, mainly because I have no desire to "own a business" at all. I assume with a psychopath like you at the helm that "your business" is probably doing pretty well.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:24 pm

jj2424 jj2424:
PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:

retired = unemployed (lifetime welfare bum)

Big words from a doofus who thinks renting out the other bedroom in his dumpy little bungalow makes him a real estate mogul.

Retired = my money works for me now.