bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:12 am

Brenda Brenda:
RUEZ RUEZ:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
QBC QBC:
It's about time we get a real winter again. About 10 years too late to stop the pine beetle, but what the hell. It just aint Canada without a few weeks of 40 below!!!!

It could still stop the pine beetle. But I think you have to have sustained temperatures at about 40 below (in mid-winter) or a sudden cold snap (at the start of winter) to do it.
It's to late for us up North. The trees are dead already.

It must look awful up there :-(
That's why mature pine should be logged,the beetles have a real hard time killing young healthy pine,what your seeing is more of mans fuck up then mother natures,our forestry plans made a virtual smorg for them,lets not forget the environuts logging moratoriums.If the beetles didnt do the job then fire would have after the pine all died and literally choked the forest floor with deadfall.That's another way mother nature makes sure a different species has a chance,like spruce or fir.

I worked on the beetlekill program in it's infancy back in 78,it was like war,we spotted the enemy from a chopper,dropped our team off on some remote mountain top,hovered over the target while the team compassed in and then went in to do the dirty work.It was a lot of fun but really a huge govt. make work project.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:19 am

La Nina.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:22 am

Ripcat Ripcat:
La Nina.
Yup,and a few others I cant pronounce.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:33 am

sasquatch2 sasquatch2:
The cold weather won't effect the obtuse GWs one iota. They will just blame that on CO2 as well----that's why they invented the term "climate change".

Things like observable evidence are meaningless in the face of a mindless political campaign.

Sorta funny getting upset about a phenomina (climate) that is constantly changing anyway. It's sort of like getting excited about sunsets.

The pine beetle BS was discredited a long time back due to it's invasion of northern areas that get so cold that boiling water freezes so fast the ice is still warm. The pine beetle is as much as a red herring as drowning polar bears.........

Hereabouts one wag predicted a cold winter because I had 16 cord of firewood inside for what is normally a 6 cord winter.

Really? The pine beetle is BS? Why don't you come up here to Prince George and tell the people at Canfor about how the pine beetle is a mythical beast like leprechauns, unicorns, and Eskimos.

Things like observable evidence are meaningless in the face of a person who parents are brother and sister.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:36 am

xerxes xerxes:
sasquatch2 sasquatch2:
The cold weather won't effect the obtuse GWs one iota. They will just blame that on CO2 as well----that's why they invented the term "climate change".

Things like observable evidence are meaningless in the face of a mindless political campaign.

Sorta funny getting upset about a phenomina (climate) that is constantly changing anyway. It's sort of like getting excited about sunsets.

The pine beetle BS was discredited a long time back due to it's invasion of northern areas that get so cold that boiling water freezes so fast the ice is still warm. The pine beetle is as much as a red herring as drowning polar bears.........

Hereabouts one wag predicted a cold winter because I had 16 cord of firewood inside for what is normally a 6 cord winter.

Really? The pine beetle is BS? Why don't you come up here to Prince George and tell the people at Canfor about how the pine beetle is a mythical beast like leprechauns, unicorns, and Eskimos.

Things like observable evidence are meaningless in the face of a person who parents are brother and sister.

it sure didnt wreck the forest industry,bad logging and management did that.
Bad logging and management are now trying to fix the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:55 am

Lets talk beetles!

I worked on the beetlekill program in southern Alta in 1978,logged in the castle watershed,porcupine hills,Kananaski's,and lots of other places where a red tree was spotted amongst some untouched huge timber where logging was never allowed before.

I can see the results of my work right out my back door where we test logged strips of more heavily infested pine or just clear cutted a bad patch.

The infestation started in the states,moved to the flathead valley in Montana and then spread to BC and S Alberta.

The beetles also only kill old mature or sick pine that should have either been logged or burnt in a forest fire,logging red tree's is too little too late as they have been dead for at least a year.

IMO you cant stop them,log out old mature pine forests that are in their path,that's what beetles go for,young pine will kick them out,that's their defense mechanism against the beetles,a high sap flow.

They were bad in 1978,we literally smeared chainsaw oil on our arms to keep the beetles from trying to chew through your skin from the sap that came off the chainsaw and covered you.

Loggers here from spray lakes are milking the beetle(so to speak) here in my hometown as I type and it's an issue in all the papers.

A make work program IMO for the loggers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:50 am

Well it's colder than a well-digger's ass here in North Van today, therefore global warming must be a pile of crap.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:49 am

I hope this winter comes soon... I miss winter. Its December first and so far it has only snowed once.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:38 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Well it's colder than a well-digger's ass here in North Van today, therefore global warming must be a pile of crap.

But does not crap give off methane....or is that only in the Bermuda triangle.

The pine beetles were accidently brought back by SG1 after a visit to P3X49A. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:39 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

But does not crap give off methane....or is that only in the Bermuda triangle.

The pine beetles were accidently brought back by SG1 after a visit to P3X49A. :wink:

Just as I thought!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:13 pm

Xerxes
$1:

Really! Unquestioning belief in the AGW nonsense indeed could be proof of inbreeding.

The Pine Beetle infestation cannot be attributed to any warming real or not. It is a combination of poor forestry practice as a result of environmentalist meddling.

Trying to confuse that truth with alleged denial of an infestation is typical of AGW BS. I did not dispute the existence of the Pine Beetle infestation but did and do challenge allegations that it is a result of any warming real or not. If cold weather was keeping it under control in the past then why has it spread so much to the north which EVERY years gets colder than a witches tit? AGW causation is just BS.

It is easily argued that AGW is a fantasy as credible as leprechauns, unicorns, and trolls living under bridges. The critters under bridges are what used to be called hoboes and are now styled "homeless".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:58 pm

ziggy ziggy:
Lets talk beetles!

I worked on the beetlekill program in southern Alta in 1978,logged in the castle watershed,porcupine hills,Kananaski's,and lots of other places where a red tree was spotted amongst some untouched huge timber where logging was never allowed before.

I can see the results of my work right out my back door where we test logged strips of more heavily infested pine or just clear cutted a bad patch.

The infestation started in the states,moved to the flathead valley in Montana and then spread to BC and S Alberta.

The beetles also only kill old mature or sick pine that should have either been logged or burnt in a forest fire,logging red tree's is too little too late as they have been dead for at least a year.

IMO you cant stop them,log out old mature pine forests that are in their path,that's what beetles go for,young pine will kick them out,that's their defense mechanism against the beetles,a high sap flow.

They were bad in 1978,we literally smeared chainsaw oil on our arms to keep the beetles from trying to chew through your skin from the sap that came off the chainsaw and covered you.

Loggers here from spray lakes are milking the beetle(so to speak) here in my hometown as I type and it's an issue in all the papers.

You must be talking about some other beetle. The Mountain Pine Beetle is the problem here in BC.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:03 pm

sasquatch2 sasquatch2:
The Pine Beetle infestation cannot be attributed to any warming real or not. It is a combination of poor forestry practice as a result of environmentalist meddling.

You hit the nail on the head. The Mountain Pine Beetle problem in BC can be attributed to an outbreak in Tweedsmuir Park. The government wouldn't allow Forestry to go in and eradicate the Beetle and we now pay for that mistake.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:05 pm

sasquatch2 sasquatch2:
Xerxes
$1:

Really! Unquestioning belief in the AGW nonsense indeed could be proof of inbreeding.

Trying to confuse that truth with alleged denial of an infestation is typical of AGW BS. I did not dispute the existence of the Pine Beetle infestation but did and do challenge allegations that it is a result of any warming real or not. If cold weather was keeping it under control in the past then why has it spread so much to the north which EVERY years gets colder than a witches tit? AGW causation is just BS.

More made up BS. Part of the reason for the Pine Beetle's spread is due to poor forest management true, but another facet of it is that it hasn't been bone chilling-ly cold enough over the last few years to the point where the beetles are killed.

And now, because of the temperature deviations brought upon us by La Nina, all the usual brain-dead climate change deniers such are yourself use it as "proof" that it doesn't exist and is just another Illuminati plot.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:16 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
ziggy ziggy:
Lets talk beetles!

You must be talking about some other beetle. The Mountain Pine Beetle is the problem here in BC.
Yes,same one I was trying to eradicate here back in 1978 when it was first recognized as a problem.They have been around a long time just like the spruce beetle,we just gave them the right conditions to thrive in Alberta and BC.

I'll mention this again also,the mountain pine beetle has a real hard time killing a young healthy pine tree,the sap flow will kick them out,old pine cant and thats why you allways see a lot of old dead pine after a mountain pine beetle infestation has occured. They should have been logged or let mother nature do it's work with a fire.