Forum Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:34 am

50% might be a better target.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:37 am

Oh oh, I can all ready hear the grumbling starting out in Toronto. I can just imagine some of the stories that will be popping up on the National and CBC radio. XD

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:39 am

There's nothing wrong with making cuts if it won't impact the CBC as a broadcaster, but I still feel we need the CBC as a public broadcaster.

If we leave Canadian programming to private industry (like Global and CTV), we get total crap and tons of imported shows from around the globe.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:43 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
There's nothing wrong with making cuts if it won't impact the CBC as a broadcast, but I still feel we need the CBC as a public broadcaster. If we leave Canadian programming to private industry (like Global and CTV), we get total crap and tons of imported shows from around the globe.

You're saying CBC TV is different? I haven't watched if for some time, but my impression is that it's engaged in the same race to the bottom as the others. At least CTV puts out the odd original show like Corner Gas.

I would like to see CBC TV model itself after PBS. There is stuff on PBS that I watch.

I would love to see CBC revive the glory days of CBC radio, but I guess that's not going to happen. The highlight for me was when Barbara Frum called up Idi Amin on As It Happens.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:02 am

OK, but only if I get cut the trebuchet rope holding Ron Maclean and Don Cherry.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:14 am

andyt andyt:
bootlegga bootlegga:
There's nothing wrong with making cuts if it won't impact the CBC as a broadcast, but I still feel we need the CBC as a public broadcaster. If we leave Canadian programming to private industry (like Global and CTV), we get total crap and tons of imported shows from around the globe.

You're saying CBC TV is different? I haven't watched if for some time, but my impression is that it's engaged in the same race to the bottom as the others. At least CTV puts out the odd original show like Corner Gas.

I would like to see CBC TV model itself after PBS. There is stuff on PBS that I watch.

I would love to see CBC revive the glory days of CBC radio, but I guess that's not going to happen. The highlight for me was when Barbara Frum called up Idi Amin on As It Happens.

Yes, I would say it is different.

CTV may have an occasional big hit like Corner Gas, but for the most part they rely almost totally on foreign programming. I'm not some nationalist who refuses to watch American/European programming, but it is nice to see a Canadian POV in a movie or film once and a while (like Heartland or InSecurity).

I also like CBC documentaries and news shows like Fifth Estate and the Nature of Things, as well as news satire like Rick Mercer Report and This Hour has 22 Minutes.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:25 pm

Private TV in Canada will never make Canadian content unless it caters to a significant market like Toronto. IE 'Canadian' idol. Yes there is a cross section of talent from the nation but the show is, of and for the TO market. You could argue that American idol is the same way for Hollywood.

CBC TV is making content for Canadians but not to the degree that makes it something sacred. Allow the CBC to run private adverts and cut the budget for it. We still need the basis of infrastructure but who decides what is and is not Canadian is too fluid to justify mothercorp. The nation isn't going to collapse without it and it is seen more and more as a luxury item we don't need.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:34 pm

For some reason the people, the government, seem to think we need subsidized TV. I've thought about this over the years and if you ask around people will say but the CBC does this very well and so on. It's big government and it's popular. Harper doesn't have a mandate to do more than trim it.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 pm

I have to agree that there is a need for the CBC in Canada but it needs to change the way in which it is currently operating. For one the attitude that they can be publicly funded but operate in same manner as a private entity when it comes to accountability and transparency has to go. They seem to forget that it’s us, the tax payer, who are footing the bills so if and when we want to know how the money is being spent and on what they shouldn’t hiding behind privacy laws and other excuses.

Secondly, and this is just my opinion, but they do seem overly bias and I’m only one of many who feels that way. I’d like to see sort of shake up similar to what the BBC went through a few years back to correct this. I’ll admit all media will be guilty of being bias to some degree but it’s all most as if the CBC is in denial about it. They’ve commissioned report after report only to announce that they can’t find any evidence of bias in their organization. I guess they don’t bother to watch their own programming or something.

Thirdly, when it comes to programming I find it hard to believe they can’t do a little better on the Canadian content end. Canada is not some back woods 3rd world country for pete’s sake. There has to be a little more talent out there some where that has more to offer than reruns of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy which aren’t even Canadian in the first place.

The CBC’s worst enemy seems to be themselves. Rather than respond to the many criticisms aimed at them they seem to take a “F* you if you don’t like it” approach instead of using that feedback to better themselves and that is the number one thing that needs to change.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:11 pm

For me, the real problem with CBC (Radio-Canada in my case) is the editorial line and the tainted opinions cited as 'journalism'. As I don't watch CBC, I'm talking about Radio-Canada and its 24/7 information channel. It's left-wing and anti-right-wing (the umbudsman even blamed SRC for that) and mostly pro-separatism. It's becoming more and more evident and they no longer try to 'hide' it. I've stopped watching their news for that.

However, at least at Radio-Canada, they air some great shows at big budget to compete with the private channels. But, those show could have also been aired by private channels too...

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:16 pm

I wonder how much of their $1.5 billion goes into maintaining the cross the nation network capability. I mean all the hardware and techies to support it. It must be quite a large system.

When I was a kid and lived in the interior of BC there was cable TV from USA, Spokane, but it was news when the CBC micro wage towers reached our neighbourhood. That was an entirely different CBC. Now there are 100+ TV channels in cities and by satellite.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:51 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

Yes, I would say it is different.

CTV may have an occasional big hit like Corner Gas, but for the most part they rely almost totally on foreign programming. I'm not some nationalist who refuses to watch American/European programming, but it is nice to see a Canadian POV in a movie or film once and a while (like Heartland or InSecurity).

I also like CBC documentaries and news shows like Fifth Estate and the Nature of Things, as well as news satire like Rick Mercer Report and This Hour has 22 Minutes.
I agree. CBC has this year put out some good "for entertainment only" shows like 18 To Life, Republic of Doyle and a whole bunch of good comedy. Much of their other stuff is interesting, like Village on a Diet. Some shows I never watch, except in their initial days, like Being Erica, are quite popular, I just don't watch it. I do agree with Andy though, that CBC radio used to be great. People like Barbra Frum are hard to come by. As it Happens is still good and I listen to it quite a lot, but there is nothing like Frum available anywhere.

CBC also offers Radio 2 and Radio 3. As a Folkie myself, I love to pick up a playlist of songs by new artists on Radio 3. Then I can go to a concert at Lydia's when they come in town.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Let's not forget the radio.

At Radio-Canada, for a show of 30 minutes at the end, they thank about 10 persons while in a private radio show they are like 3 or 4 for a 4 hours show. And I'm quite sure that the 3 "researchers" at Radio-Canada are not earning only 40 000$/year !

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:28 pm

I dunno, TVO is better than CBC. I rarely watch anything on CBC or CTV or Global for that matter. Canadian news has become an editorial narrative as opposed to just reporting. CBC radio is just too agenda driven and is overly lefty-elitest.

I'm all for diverse voices and that includes the Left but you get nothing else on CBC except left or left of centre views. I just don't watch or listen to the CBC anymore.

I think in a era where we now have a wide array of choice, the CBC will die a long, publicly funded, lingering death.