Title: Cellphone searches upon arrest allowed by Canada's top court
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: Regina
Date: 2014-12-11 07:43:28
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:52 am

Easy solution: password protect your phone. If you haven't already done that, what would you do if you lost it by accident?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:21 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Easy solution: password protect your phone. If you haven't already done that, what would you do if you lost it by accident?

Do what I do: Sync to the cloud and have your phone set to wipe itself on the second failed password.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:00 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Do what I do: Sync to the cloud and have your phone set to wipe itself on the second failed password.

I never put data in a 'cloud'. I'm just too paranoid. My cell syncs to my home PC, and by default the phone will wipe on 10 bad passwords. I've set it to 5, because I've done 3 bads far to often. ;)

I can also remote wipe if I lose it. Or, if it's confiscated for 'evidence' and I suddenly can't remember the password. [angel]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:03 am

Well, Bart I can having to worry if his ravings about shooting people ever attract police attention. But you, Caleb, what exactly do you get up to that you're so paranoid about the cops accessing your phone?

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:04 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I never put data in a 'cloud'. I'm just too paranoid. My cell syncs to my home PC, and by default the phone will wipe on 10 bad passwords. I've set it to 5, because I've done 3 bads far to often. ;)

I can also remote wipe if I lose it. Or, if it's confiscated for 'evidence' and I suddenly can't remember the password. [angel]

Exactly what I do and have done. Also no cloud for me either!!

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:05 am

For me it's about NOBODY accessing my phone........which includes my wife. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:18 am

^^ That!

andyt andyt:
Well, Bart I can having to worry if his ravings about shooting people ever attract police attention. But you, Caleb, what exactly do you get up to that you're so paranoid about the cops accessing your phone?

I don't have to be doing anything untoward in order to protect my right to privacy. It's my constitutional right. No one else is going defend my rights besides me. By the time the cloud gets hacked and all my naked selfies are released to the public; it'll be too late to enable security.

Or, it may be that something in the future may require that safeguard. I might stumble across a robbery in progress; or the police helpfully assisting someone with their breathing problem, for which my cellphone would be held as evidence and never be seen again. I might just lose it on the bus. It will be too late at that point to enable security. Best it were enabled beforehand.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:25 am

I now have an iphone 5s and it requires you to enable screen lock if you want to save your Apple ID in the phone (saving the Apple ID is required in order to set up auto-update of the apps and operating system, among other things). The 5s has fingerprint recognition so you can unlock without having to key in the password.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:44 am

Problem solved! :lol:

0:
Samsung-T139.jpg
Samsung-T139.jpg [ 62.49 KiB | Viewed 430 times ]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:46 am

I heard on the radio, it's becoming hip to be flip.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:55 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Just FYI...Getting into your home PC is far easier than hacking the 'cloud'.

Being paranoid is just silly...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:55 am

andyt andyt:
I heard on the radio, it's becoming hip to be flip.

Heard that sometime back as well. I never upgraded. Same as blu jeans and T's. They 'get the job done' and every so often are once again the 'height of fashion'! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:56 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
I now have an iphone 5s and it requires you to enable screen lock if you want to save your Apple ID in the phone (saving the Apple ID is required in order to set up auto-update of the apps and operating system, among other things). The 5s has fingerprint recognition so you can unlock without having to key in the password.

Now what if you horribly burn your finger, or even worse. Lose them. Then what? ;)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:09 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Just FYI...Getting into your home PC is far easier than hacking the 'cloud'.

Being paranoid is just silly...

Getting into your home PC may be trivial. Not mine. ;)

And it's not being paranoid when people are intercepting, recording, stealing and hacking information all the time! It's what I do for a living, and I know I'm not being half as paranoid about my own data as I am about work. Work is a much bigger target.