Category: Military
Posted By: uwish
Date: 2009-02-27 06:55:10
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:11 am

Pretty neat.

We need to protect our Canadian airspace in the arctic no matter.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:13 am

Good...at least Harper realizes how important yet fragile our NA sovereignty is... However I regret it's all a matter of time before we are speaking Mandarin or Cantonese in NA... Thanks to consumers thinking too much with their wallets...

I really appreciate the news link....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:50 am

I know what movie I'm renting tonight....

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 am

you should read some of the comments on the CTV comment section about this article.

People are making all kinds of outrageous comments about how the 18's couldn't get there in time, it's to far, their is no air-air refueling in the CF.

ALL BS people really don't have a clue.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:59 am

uwish uwish:
ALL BS people really don't have a clue.

The average Canadian doesn't, at least when comes to all things military.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:23 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but arent the Russian bears very very old and supceptiple to detection and early attack from the hornets?
And if so, launching a nuke from it would be it's main purpose if it was in attack mode?

I was in the field in the Cold lake weapons range the day this happened,that would explain all the sonic boom's! 8O

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:40 am

F$%#in Russians, up to tricks again, way to further strain relations with the west. Good to see the NORAD guys are on it.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:41 am

ziggy ziggy:
Correct me if I'm wrong but arent the Russian bears very very old and supceptiple to detection and early attack from the hornets?
And if so, launching a nuke from it would be it's main purpose if it was in attack mode?

I was in the field in the Cold lake weapons range the day this happened,that would explain all the sonic boom's! 8O

The current model of Bear the Russians use is 80's vintage (much like our Hornets), and given the size difference a Hornet should "see" a Bear long before a Bear will see it.

But these days the Bear is more a platform for launching cruise missiles than dropping bombs. The Bear could launch its payload long before they are intercepted by CF-18's.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:50 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:
ziggy ziggy:

The current model of Bear the Russians use is 80's vintage (much like our Hornets), and given the size difference a Hornet should "see" a Bear long before a Bear will see it.

But these days the Bear is more a platform for launching cruise missiles than dropping bombs. The Bear could launch its payload long before they are intercepted by CF-18's.

I watched a program on discovery a few weeks ago and they were saying they were upgrading some old girls to put back in service.
Quite the machine.

The hornets are also amazing to watch doing maneuvers,I didnt get to see many because they like to fly low level over top of you so you hear them after they go by and scare the shite outta ya. :lol: Flying one would be the ultimate rush. [B-o]

Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:15 am

The Russians running their Bears along our borders has been a regular occurrence for a number of years. If we are to be seen as serious about Canadian Sovereignty in the North, we need to maintain a permanent presence of Fighter, Air to Air Refuelling (AAR) and Search and Rescue (SAR) aircraft in the North, not launch them from Winnipeg and Cold Lake as required, losing valuable hours in the transit. The SAR and AAR roles can be done from the same CC130 but infrastructure in the Forward Operating Bases has to be improved, especially fuel storage capability.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:23 am

Harper saw there was $120M short fall for the CBC and decided what people want is less antiques roadshow and more antiques AIRSHOW. I'm sure it will be a ratings grabber.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:30 pm

I guess the CBC executives can tighten their belt a bit then.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Scape Scape:
Harper saw there was $120M short fall for the CBC and decided what people want is less antiques roadshow and more antiques AIRSHOW. I'm sure it will be a ratings grabber.

Hehe, Peter Mansbridge will give the News from Baffin Island. Complete with a daily Interception Forecast each night.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:49 pm

Antique:

"An item which is at least 50 to 100 years old and is collected or desirable due to rarity, condition, utility, or some other unique feature. Motor vehicles, power tools and other items subject to vigorous use in contrast, may be considered antiques in the U.S. if older than 25 years, and some electronic gadgets of more recent vintage may be considered antiques.

CF-18 Hornet

Introduced 7 January 1983