Category: Business
Posted By: andyt
Date: 2015-06-10 07:16:55
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:18 am

$1:
He quotes the example of British Columbia, where the economy has grown strongly despite a 16 per cent reduction in the use of carbon fuels.

If what he says is true, Alberta better get its act together to get in on the renewables market or be left sitting with unexploitable oil sands and not much else. Maybe farming and ranching will get bigger as long as there's sufficient water.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:06 am

But it's not true.

And yes, Lorrie Goldstein's "analysis" is worth every bit as much as Don Pitts. Personally, I'd say more, because Goldstein is more correct.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:44 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
But it's not true.

And yes, Lorrie Goldstein's "analysis" is worth every bit as much as Don Pitts. Personally, I'd say more, because Goldstein is more correct.

It wasn't a Don Pitts analysis, it was a World Bank analysis.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:25 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
It wasn't a Don Pitts analysis, it was a World Bank analysis.

Was it? is that why it links to "More analysis by Don Pittis" at the bottom :wink:

The World Bank can say anything it wants about the BC carbon tax. I still burn gas, and don't know anybody who doesn't or who has plans to stop.

Although...ya know...it is true. I do walk a little more. So OK, local gas prices are so high, sometimes you'll walk, but will the gas fueled car therefore become the horse and buggy? There's no evidence to suggest that.

I hear there were a lot of Chevy Volts left on the lot last year though.

The price of food has skyrocketed too. The other day, I was walking through Super-Store and my jaw dropped. 4 bucks for 3 shriveled little ears of Mexican corn. No thank you, but that doesn't mean I've given up eating.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:04 pm

Actually, if you want to get technical Pittis is more supporting something called the Porter hypothesis than the World Bank's stilted report on the wonders of the BC carbon tax.

This is the Porter Hypothesis.

http://www.rff.org/documents/RFF-DP-11-01.pdf

The PH is saying "this is what can happen". The World bank report is saying oh look at this here in BC. Maybe that's what's happening here.

And Pittis is analyzing this a la CBC and saying "Yup, that's what's happening. No more cars."

What will you replace them with? Doesn't matter. "First you collect all the underpants... "

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:39 pm

andyt andyt:
$1:
He quotes the example of British Columbia, where the economy has grown strongly despite a 16 per cent reduction in the use of carbon fuels.

If what he says is true, Alberta better get its act together to get in on the renewables market or be left sitting with unexploitable oil sands and not much else. Maybe farming and ranching will get bigger as long as there's sufficient water.

Where is this large reduction coming from? I always thought that BC was a heavy hydroelectric producer.
And as far as admonishing Alberta about getting on board with renewables, since when did natgas become a renewable? Or are you unaware of the approximately 7300 natgas wells that have been opened up in BC over the last decade? Like gee, maybe that's had something to do with their reportedly strong economic growth.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:32 am

If the developing trend is that putting a value on carbon is now part of the price of doing business, no different than any other fee or tax, then that's just the way it is. If it's going to be a requirement in order to remove other political obstacles that are preventing important projects from moving forward then it's just a cost that has to be paid. No industry or state is an island and holding firm against a trend and ending up costing yourself jobs and revenue for the sake of sheer stubbornness doesn't make much sense at all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:45 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Where is this large reduction coming from? I always thought that BC was a heavy hydroelectric producer.
And as far as admonishing Alberta about getting on board with renewables, since when did natgas become a renewable? Or are you unaware of the approximately 7300 natgas wells that have been opened up in BC over the last decade? Like gee, maybe that's had something to do with their reportedly strong economic growth.

BC has reduced carbon emissions because of its carbon tax, so presumably the reduction comes from many sources. What this has to do with hydroelectric is beyond me.

Na, natgas has gone way down in price. Our premier is desperately trying to get at least one natgas for export project off the ground, with no luck so far, because she had promised many projects and trillions of dollars at one time, Forestry is back up, tech is doing well, tourism is up from the low dollar.

If carbon fuels become surpassed by renewables, those natgas wells in BC will also fall silent. Fortunately we have a much more diversified economy, oil and gas has never been our mainstay.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:47 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

That's awesome!!!!