Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:51 pm

I just spent over three hours watching the debate. I have a few observations. It felt like CNN was trying to drive a wedge between the party members. Most of the questions were of the: "so and so said this about you, what do you want to say to him in response? " Most of these questions somehow involved Donald Trump. I was looking forward to an actuall debate about the issues. This seemed like a total smear job of the right from CNN. 95% of this "debate" was designed to sow dissension between the candidates. I do not recall Sen. Ted Cruz being asked a single question that did not involve him being mentioned in a response from another candidate, or a question that was asked of all candidates. Ditto for Sen. Rand Paul. and Gov. Mike Huckabee. It seemed like the closer one stood to Donald Trump, the more airtime one got. I would like to see a more fair way of asking all the candidates questions on a equal basis.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:55 pm

Hard to divvy up the time when there's eleven of the goofs vying for the title. CNN's only interested in controversy. That's why they spend so much time of their day on Trump. They'll do the same in a debate by giving more time to the ones most likely to diss Trump or get in his face because if fireworks erupt it's good for the ratings.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:47 pm

I agree with Rick. CNN was trying pretty hard to make it schoolyard.

A couple candidates got some points through though.

Remembering its Republicans they were trying to impress I think Carly Fiorina scored some points again. She didn't look out of place with the big boys.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:03 pm

It turns my stomach to say it, but FOX did a better job of moderating, even though they were given orders to take down Trump. One of these days, I'd like to see one of these debates take place without an audience for the candidates to pander too.

Other than that it was the same old song and dance. War on everyone, war on immigrants legal and illegal, war on women and so on.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:07 pm

rickc rickc:
This seemed like a total smear job of the right from CNN. 95% of this "debate" was designed to sow dissension between the candidates.

Well, colour me surprised, I never thought CNN was biased. :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:42 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

A couple candidates got some points through though.

Remembering its Republicans they were trying to impress I think Carly Fiorina scored some points again. She didn't look out of place with the big boys.

CNN had no respect for her they must be part of the Right's War on women.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:49 am

CNN did a better job than FOX did, that's for sure.

The big winner last night, IMHO, was Carly. She's a contender after this.

Trump held his own but I don't think he'll gain any ground from last night.

Huckabee and Rand Paul were there to get their talking points into the party platform and I doubt that either of them really has any pretentions about becoming President.

Chris Christie gave a mixed performance and I was surprised that none of the candidates took him to task for New Jersey's open contempt of the Second Amendment.

Fuck Jeb Bush. :roll:

Scott Walker is going to be re-elected governor of Wisconsin and he might end up with a Cabinet post. Maybe.

Trump was right that immigration would not be a discussion had he not brought it up.

Ben Carson is a conservative Democrat and he's showing his liberalism. He's done.

The rest of them are irrelevant and can go home now. :|

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:51 am

Watched the debate as well, Fiorina stole the show IMO. Trump and Carson came out looking the worst. In fairness to CNN, Trumps style has been attack from day 1 and he has set the tone for the GOP race. I think what CNN did was allow those he was attacking the opportunity to address his BS. I think they touched on the issues enough to show what a complete novice he is. I am expecting his poll numbers to drop.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:06 am

I noticed how fast Mr. Trump's face can go from regular to red and then back to regular so quickly and so often! :D

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:30 am

I noticed that, the facial expressions kill me.

Some blogger has a clip where he says Trump did all of the emojii faces in 7 secs. I cant seem to post it but pretty funny.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:31 am

Carly stole the show for sure. I expect her stock to rise after yesterdays debate. I do not ubderstand the popularity of Dr. Carson. He does not seem to really stand for anything. He mumbles out answers designed to not upset anyone. Being able to get along and work well with others might be a good thing when you get the job, but Americans tend to want to see their candidates take strong stances on the issues. He seems like a smart, nice guy..........but nice guys don't usually fare well in American politics. I give Carley an A+ for last nights performance. She handled herself well. She handled Trump well. She took strong stances on the issues, and received the largest round of applause of any candidate when she was talking about PP.

Wouldn't it be something if we had two women facing of in the general election for President? On a side note: if I were Bernie Sanders I would be demanding some debates as soon as possible. Strike while the iron is hot. His stock is rising, Hilary's is falling. I would put her feet to the fire and try to wrap this thing up as soon as possible.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:34 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

The Primary debates exist mostly to sell advertising space. That's why they have commercial breaks and are only shown on one network; usually a cable network.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:35 am

rickc rickc:
if I were Bernie Sanders I would be demanding some debates as soon as possible. Strike while the iron is hot. His stock is rising, Hilary's is falling. I would put her feet to the fire and try to wrap this thing up as soon as possible.

Bernie Sanders would love more debates, but the Democratic National Committee is in the tank for Hillary Clinton.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:27 am

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:28 am

DanSC DanSC:
Bernie Sanders would love more debates, but the Democratic National Committee is in the tank for Hillary Clinton.

That seems accurate. But I wonder: does it matter? Is there anyone on the GOP ticket that is even remotely close to being electable? Christie, I guess, seems the least nutty and I guess there's the House of Saud angle with Jeb. But the rest of them don't seem "winnable" as national candidates against anyone the Dems may run out there.