CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:26 am

llama66 llama66:
no, but I doubt half the inmates who appeal have 300k either. put your tinfoil hat back on an stop posting about shit you don't understand.

Oh, I understand the legal system very well. You have not bothered to make yourself aware of the number of parents/relatives who have taken out mortgages and spent considerable amounts of money on appeals. You seemed to have also ignored the number of innocent people whose release has only been secured through the organization that works for the wrongfully convicted and they only have the resources to deal with a small minority of those. If you knew anything, you would realize as well that a lot of the wrongfully convicted either do not have the funds to appeal, or do not have the resources to do so, with any hope of success, since capable attorneys are expensive.

Also if you bothered to read the court cases and inquiries into wrongful convictions, you would be amazed at the sloppiness and disorganization of the police work, crime scene investigations that were not even remotely scientific or even careful in method, and prosecutors who wrongfully kept evidence from the defense that would prove the innocence of the defendant. A less than capable defense attorney often added to mix that led to wrongful conviction.

Your lack of concern for the lives that have been ruined and for the concept of justice is showing. I guess if it doesn't happen to you, why care about anyone else and anyone who does can be characterized as having a tinfoil hat.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:52 pm

I know lots of Case law, most cases based on sloppy police work gets tossed, police have to follow what is called form, if they do not then the cases are null and void. I know alot of cops, and I'd say the work they do is anything but disorganized and sloppy. but I can see you believe that the rights of the offencer should always supercede the rights of the victims, god forbid you ever become a victim. I actually have to attend court quite regularly to give evidence, have you ever been near a court other than to protest these gross injustices you perceive? Prosecutors must give disclosure when asked, if the defence does not ask for it, then it comes out a the pre-trial hearing. I actually studied law, in college, and seriously thought about becoming a lawyer, have you ever even opened a copy of Martin's Criminal Code, or read any case law? or are you basing everything on these convicts are saying? did you know that most prisoners think they've been injustly incarcerated? The People whose live's have been ruined and they are later found to be innocent are usually quite well compensated by the government. Please tell us, how shall we fix this broken system full of wrongly convicted criminals whose rights have clearly been infringed upon? I actually want to hear how you want to fix it, if you don't have a plausible way to fix the problem, then please, shut the hell up!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:25 pm

llama66 llama66:
I know lots of Case law, most cases based on sloppy police work gets tossed, police have to follow what is called form, if they do not then the cases are null and void. I know alot of cops, and I'd say the work they do is anything but disorganized and sloppy. but I can see you believe that the rights of the offencer should always supercede the rights of the victims, god forbid you ever become a victim. I actually have to attend court quite regularly to give evidence, have you ever been near a court other than to protest these gross injustices you perceive? Prosecutors must give disclosure when asked, if the defence does not ask for it, then it comes out a the pre-trial hearing. I actually studied law, in college, and seriously thought about becoming a lawyer, have you ever even opened a copy of Martin's Criminal Code, or read any case law? or are you basing everything on these convicts are saying? did you know that most prisoners think they've been injustly incarcerated? The People whose live's have been ruined and they are later found to be innocent are usually quite well compensated by the government. Please tell us, how shall we fix this broken system full of wrongly convicted criminals whose rights have clearly been infringed upon? I actually want to hear how you want to fix it, if you don't have a plausible way to fix the problem, then please, shut the hell up!

Other countries in the western world are using commissions, why not us? I am a pragmatist. We are obviously putting innocent people in jail (Dr. Smith's victims) and his incompetence was supported and reinforced by the system. Then there are examples such as the 4 officers of the drug squad in Toronto who were the problem rather than the solution, and the overworked C.S. Investigators who take months to complete tests and their results are not reliable.

If you work with lawyers, they will tell you that police go for the "simple" solutions whether they are accurate or not. If a wife is killed, the husband is the murderer. If a husband is killed, it is the wife, or his shady associates. A motive determines who the murderer is. They can certainly often be correct in this regard, BUT it is not always that simple and straightforward. The often "political" need for a speedy charge takes precedence over a thorough investigation. Evidence to the contrary gets ignored, misplaced, or forgotten.
The taser death of the polish gentleman is also an example. Some people noticed how the testimony of the RCMP CHANGED after the video contradicted their original statements. The desire for police not to be photographed also implies the practice of putting their "spin" on what actually happened. That brings into question the reliability of police testimony in court.

I am not saying that the system is necessarily broken, but I am saying that it could be MUCH BETTER for everyone. A commission MAY be helpful if it has the clout to make changes that will improve the quality of both law enforcement and investigation, as well as the ethical and legal prosecution of all cases.

At the very heart of the matter, I would like to see the guilty in prison and the innocent free. That is NOT too much to expect, and if it is NOT happening and that is what is being documented by the media, then change is necessary. A commission with CLOUT may be the answer.