Posted By: Freakinoldguy
Date: 2016-07-26 02:35:24
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:37 am

You can't make this shit up. 8O

Nobody but the Chairman would dare tax a tax. Fucking unbelievable arrogance and disregard for their constituents by the Ontario Liberals.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:22 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Nobody but the Chairman would dare tax a tax.

Many provinces had their PST calculated after the GST subtotal. They 'taxed a tax' for years before the HSTs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:21 am

HST? Isn't that the one we had our tax revolt against in BC? Sure it is. We won, as I recall.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:53 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Many provinces had their PST calculated after the GST subtotal. They 'taxed a tax' for years before the HSTs.

And that makes it okay?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:16 pm

No but going nutzoid over paying 2.26% INSTEAD OF 2.00% is a little overboard.
Extra 13c on your Hydro bill... whoopee.Shit live on the Lower Mainland and pay $5-$15 on every tank of gas and maybe hundreds to cross a bridge to work.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:56 pm

herbie herbie:
Extra 13c on your Hydro bill... whoopee.Shit live on the Lower Mainland and pay $5-$15 on every tank of gas and maybe hundreds to cross a bridge to work.

Yup 13 cents on an already outrageously over priced hydro bill which was caused by a severely warped sense of environmental stewardship and lack of sound economics is fuck all isn't it? Just give it time, this crap will eventually work it's way up to where you live in Podunk and we'll see just how dismissive you are then. Because, pretty much everytime the Ontario Liberals have a rush of policy shit to the brain you can bet our fearless leader and her party won't be far behind.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:47 pm

Well whoops. My Hydro bill is around $100 a month, so that would be 26c on a 2% surcharge.
I don't know what Ontarians pay, but I thought you lived in the Lower Mainland? They can't be paying that much more than we do.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:51 am

herbie herbie:
Well whoops. My Hydro bill is around $100 a month, so that would be 26c on a 2% surcharge.
I don't know what Ontarians pay, but I thought you lived in the Lower Mainland? They can't be paying that much more than we do.

They pay one hell of alot more than they should have to which, is leading to hydro poverty for some people like the ones on social assistance, in rural areas and who heat with electricity.

$1:
Fay Knox knows what it’s like to live off the grid. Unable to cope with rising power rates, she has been disconnected twice because she couldn’t pay her hydro bills.

She lives by herself in a small house in the Eastern Ontario town of Lancaster, but her electricity bills run into the hundreds of dollars.

For the month of March 2016, it was $299.67. Knox, who receives a disability pension, says she simply can’t afford to keep her lights on.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2796958/rural ... 30031766=1

So any increase no matter how insignificant some people think it is could be a tipping point for alot of people who are just hanging on and for the record their hydro rates have climbed 100% in the past decade which is even worse than ours.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:44 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

And that makes it okay?

Because that's what I said? :roll:

I said it was nothing new. Far be it from me to inject facts into a discussion.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:56 am

herbie herbie:

Shit, live in Ontario where for every $100 of hydro bill, only $23 is actual hydro usage. The bulk of the bill is some bullshit "Global Adjustment Fee", plus the usual (for Ontario anyway) monthly delivery and connection charges.
Ontario must be the only province where they come by every month, hook up your hydro and refill your reserves or something. In fact, you can self-generate 100% of your hydro and still get billed for connection and delivery charges.
Outside of cable TV, Ontario Hydro is one of the few entities I know of that can essentially force you to pay for stuff you don't want or use.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:15 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Ontario must be the only province where they come by every month, hook up your hydro and refill your reserves or something. In fact, you can self-generate 100% of your hydro and still get billed for connection and delivery charges.

Nope. We get those here in Alberta too. But good old King Ralph always used to say if you don't like your provider, you can always switch! But if you called another provider to switch, they'd say "we don't service your area". :lol:

Outside of cable TV, Ontario Hydro is one of the few entities I know of that can essentially force you to pay for stuff you don't want or use.

School taxes. I have no kids, but the County still makes me pay those.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:45 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Nope. We get those here in Alberta too. But good old King Ralph always used to say if you don't like your provider, you can always switch! But if you called another provider to switch, they'd say "we don't service your area". :lol:

School taxes. I have no kids, but the County still makes me pay those.

I don't mind those. I just mind the fact that they're essentially being wasted these days

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:39 am

So what is the average Ontarian paying? I know a few people here with electric only heat shelling out $200 - $250 that's not outrageous. Most others added a pellet stove or switched to LNG when it was extended to their areas.
I have a 1200 sq ft place
Hydro is about $95
LNG heat is about $90 (down from $120 after window/insulation upgrades)
Both are split up into 10,000 items so you'll never know what you actually pay for the product.
I used to pay $480 a mo for my shop, but that had a massive server bank & wall of routers and transmitters running 24/7. Damn Xerox colour copier would eat $25 a month if you didn't shut it off overnight and give it 15 mins to warm up when I opened.

Effing Internet is going up another $5 ($63 mo for 6Mb DSL!!!) THAT is my bitch - up $10 a month since 2014 and no improvement even available here.