CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28720
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:51 pm
 


Title: Dallaire hopes to build Vimy monument replica
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2010-03-11 18:41:31
Canadian


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33691
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:51 pm
 


nice idea, would fit well with the centenniary of WW1 coming up in a few years.

I am afraid though too many people have forgotten about WW1 already.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11159
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:14 am
 


THis is an excellent idea. Something like this to too easy forgotten and turned into an obscure footnote.

By doing this it will make the history come alive as people can see in their own minds that people actually got killed their defending the freedoms so easily taken for granted in this modern age.


Offline
Forum Addict
Forum Addict


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 929
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:20 am
 


I just want to know who's going to pay for it...


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3230
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:38 am
 


Well considering the 11000 Canadian names, including my Great Uncles, on the monument paid for it with their lives, so I don't mine throwing a monetary donation at it.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2216
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:46 am
 


If wants to do it with public donations im all for it, but not tax payer funds


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
Profile
Posts: 20460
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:48 am
 


Why not tax payer funds? We pay for all kinds of artsy stuff around the country. Seems to me that a memorial like this is exactly the kind of thing that tax payers shouldn't mind forking over what is likely a very small amount.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2216
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:38 am
 


DerbyX wrote:
Why not tax payer funds? We pay for all kinds of artsy stuff around the country. Seems to me that a memorial like this is exactly the kind of thing that tax payers shouldn't mind forking over what is likely a very small amount.



Ordinarily i would agree with you, but have a lot more pressing issues in our country we have a child poverty problem that has plagued us for decades, we need more more spent on post secondary education, more money on Health Care. Normally im all for military spending as long as it makes sense and actually contributes to our actual defense posture.


The issue i have is that although it is a small amount there seems to be a huge multitude of groups out there who want a 'small' amount of money. Once you get enough of them together that small amount, becomes a large amount and those special interest groups seem to grow every year not become less. We have several very real problems in our country, and although the idea if a Vimy ridge clone is interesting and possible noble. It doesn't help us with our current problems


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
Profile
Posts: 20460
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:44 am
 


Its times like this I think we should have some sort of checklist on our tax forms where we can indicate were we think the government should be putting the money. We might also include an area where people can voluntarily contribute to specific things like this. Just a thought anyway.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2216
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:52 am
 


DerbyX wrote:
Its times like this I think we should have some sort of checklist on our tax forms where we can indicate were we think the government should be putting the money. We might also include an area where people can voluntarily contribute to specific things like this. Just a thought anyway.




I would tend to agree, but it would become a nightmare. I just think as a nation we have to concentrate on our major issues even more. We've been pretty good at doing that, and we've come through out he latest recession relatively unharmed but we still need to re-emphasize our priorities. But i don't want us to become like the US where they have so much money bleeding out that they cant concentrate on anything


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4408
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:35 am
 


I understand and appreciate the sentiment, but no.

There is only one Vimy Memorial and any copy of it would be just that, a copy. No different than a picture of the Memorial. Like looking at a print of the Mona Lisa.

If you have any feelings for this country, there is no way to prepare yourself for how overwhelming it is, seeing that Memorial on the ridge. It took my breath away. It was a true dichotomy. I felt incredibly proud and utterly insignificant in its presense.

I can't help but think that a copy would cheapin the real thing. To say nothing of the politics of how it would play out in today's Canada. Where does it go, who pays for it, how big? In other words divisive. The exact opposite of what the Vimy Memorial stands for.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13956
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:48 am
 


Wullu wrote:
I understand and appreciate the sentiment, but no.

There is only one Vimy Memorial and any copy of it would be just that, a copy. No different than a picture of the Memorial. Like looking at a print of the Mona Lisa.

If you have any feelings for this country, there is no way to prepare yourself for how overwhelming it is, seeing that Memorial on the ridge. It took my breath away. It was a true dichotomy. I felt incredibly proud and utterly insignificant in its presense.

I can't help but think that a copy would cheapin the real thing. To say nothing of the politics of how it would play out in today's Canada. Where does it go, who pays for it, how big? In other words divisive. The exact opposite of what the Vimy Memorial stands for.

Man, you suck :lol: Just kidding, I only say that cuz I thought it was a pretty good idea too, until I read your post. And yer absolutely right.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2074
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:02 pm
 


In memory of my Grandfather, where do I send my donation?


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 7594
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:08 pm
 


Good idea - it would allow those that can't get to France to pay tribute to our fallen soldiers. People whine and complain incessantly that Canadians don't know their history, so why not make every realistic means possible for people to see a replica of a significant nation-building event?

Besides, museums possess historical replicas for similar reasons - experiencing history should be the prime goal.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2074
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:39 pm
 


Mustang1 wrote:
Good idea - it would allow those that can't get to France to pay tribute to our fallen soldiers. People whine and complain incessantly that Canadians don't know their history, so why not make every realistic means possible for people to see a replica of a significant nation-building event?

Besides, museums possess historical replicas for similar reasons - experiencing history should be the prime goal.

PDT_Armataz_01_34


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  1  2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.