bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:35 pm

raydan raydan:
Disney gets a lot of their revenue from advertising and merchandising rights. You can imagine how much pressure they put on Disney to keep their image clean.

True. And, yes, Disney are total hypocrites for their lucrative association with China. Doesn't make a difference though because using Holocaust imagery in such a reckless and revolting manner, like Carano did, will always be a huge-career killer, especially in entertainment. Disney being bastards themselves, which everyone knows they are, doesn't put up a green light for their performers to act the same way on the Twitter toilet.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:39 pm

Where are the lines in these debates? What is a firing offence this year? Carano’s statements were outlandish but what about something not quite so weird? I think clear guidelines, with regularly updated sets of examples (given that the popular take on an issue can change any time) would be a fairer way to communicate what is acceptable online for any employees/contract workers in the public eye. The sensible thing for stars to do would be to have the PR dept vet everything before release.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:58 pm

The limits are pretty clearly defined by now, and the ones getting in trouble are adults who should be able to figure it out on their own without the HR or PR department at the office guiding them. The unwritten guidelines are the limits to what the public is going to allow a celeb to express without creating outrage, and to what an employer is willing to tolerate. Carano didn't get fired for being a Trump supporter or a conservative or a Republican. She got fired for engaging, first, in the peddling of conspiracies & false information about COVID and then, second, for a disgusting misuse of Holocaust imagery. And she ignored the warnings all along that there were limits to what her employers were willing to tolerate.

The simplest rule to life is don't act like a jackass and you won't get nailed. These celebrity conservatives and Trump supporters and conspiracy-mongers simply don't seem to understand that basic reality. Too bad for them when they get stung for being obnoxious idiots. If they acted their age instead of their shoe size none of these things would be happening to them.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:05 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

No, I'm pretty sure that what Caran did is unacceptable, 27/7/365.

That's what I mean, Unacceptable to you, others may find it okay.

The only people that find Holocaust revisionism OK are Nazis and their allies.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:19 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
PluggyRug PluggyRug:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

No, I'm pretty sure that what Caran did is unacceptable, 27/7/365.

The rise of an actual neo-Nazi movement that helped Trump get elected changed everything. What was tolerable in internet joke form or in bemused online irony back in the 00's through to '15 simply isn't going to fly anymore. Yeah, I more than goofed around myself with that kind of transgressive vibe. I had my baby Hitler avatar here along with musical-Nazi gifs from the remake of The Producers, and it was all just about being silly and stupid. But I'll be fucked if I ever post anything like that again, not when these actual bastards are rampaging through the politics of the Western democracies, especially in the US, in a way they never did before. Fucking with the Holocaust in the light of what's going on now is reckless and can't be allowed to slide past with just a shrug and a "meh" attitude about it.

The enemy from the worst ideology that humans have ever created is back for real, with a genuine influence over a large political and social demographic that even just ten years ago no one would have imagined they'd ever have. And that's because far too many conservatives have thrown themselves into such hysterics about the alleged "evil" of the liberal/left they're tolerating actual fascism if it helps them advance their own agenda. They and their activities can't be tolerated, period. And I'm not saying Gina Carano is a Nazi, but she and way too many others on the right are foolishly toying with something that is beyond dangerous to play games with. :evil:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:40 pm

If I was the agent for one of these hare-brained celebs, the first thing I’d do is take control of their precious social media output. They’d thank me in the end.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:18 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
Where are the lines in these debates? What is a firing offence this year? Carano’s statements were outlandish but what about something not quite so weird? I think clear guidelines, with regularly updated sets of examples (given that the popular take on an issue can change any time) would be a fairer way to communicate what is acceptable online for any employees/contract workers in the public eye. The sensible thing for stars to do would be to have the PR dept vet everything before release.

The post that got her fired wasn’t her first and last offence. She posted some dumb anti-mask shit the month before and Disneywas ready to can her then. But Jon Favreau went to bat for her to keep her on the show. So she knew that she had to watch what she posted and she posted even dumber shit nonetheless.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:21 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
If I was the agent for one of these hare-brained celebs, the first thing I’d do is take control of their precious social media output. They’d thank me in the end.

Unfortunately almost all of these celebs from both sides are narcissists, just as bad as the politicians and corporate bosses. Which means they have a tendency to fire anyone who ever tells them "no". Usually the only once that can contain their bad behaviour is another narcissist that's even worse. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:29 pm

If republicans don't want this to keep happening, maybe they'll support some labour laws.

:D

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:12 pm

Thanos Thanos:

Unfortunately almost all of these celebs from both sides are narcissists, just as bad as the politicians and corporate bosses. Which means they have a tendency to fire anyone who ever tells them "no". Usually the only once that can contain their bad behaviour is another narcissist that's even worse.

All they have to do is shut up and millions will accrue. It’s not like they’re going to have an original thought anyway.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:38 am

xerxes xerxes:
Sunnyways Sunnyways:

The post that got her fired wasn’t her first and last offence. She posted some dumb anti-mask shit the month before and Disneywas ready to can her then. But Jon Favreau went to bat for her to keep her on the show. So she knew that she had to watch what she posted and she posted even dumber shit nonetheless.

And that's what hurts. She was intentionally agonizing and for what cause? Don't tell me what to do?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:03 am

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:24 am

Thanos Thanos:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
PluggyRug PluggyRug:

The rise of an actual neo-Nazi movement that helped Trump get elected changed everything. What was tolerable in internet joke form or in bemused online irony back in the 00's through to '15 simply isn't going to fly anymore. Yeah, I more than goofed around myself with that kind of transgressive vibe. I had my baby Hitler avatar here along with musical-Nazi gifs from the remake of The Producers, and it was all just about being silly and stupid. But I'll be fucked if I ever post anything like that again, not when these actual bastards are rampaging through the politics of the Western democracies, especially in the US, in a way they never did before. Fucking with the Holocaust in the light of what's going on now is reckless and can't be allowed to slide past with just a shrug and a "meh" attitude about it.

To be fair, Baby Hitler and things like "We have Eliminated all the Juice" were funny. And meant to be.

But you are totally right that with guys in yellow kilts walking around expousing actual Nazisms, it's not funny any more.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:38 am

Scape Scape:

Very interesting!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:46 pm

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 10  Next